Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Fake service dogs on board AC flight?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 16, 2018, 8:46 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: eracerblue
In all likelihood, airlines may be nervous about dealing with this issue firsthand. In lieu of this, perhaps we can formulate a step by step guide for pax significantly bothered by a dog, similar to how people choose to confront pax not using headphones, etc. THIS IS A DRAFT, OPEN FOR ALTERATION (NOT SUGGESTED FOR USE AT THIS TIME).

Pax procedure:
1. Sees an unruly dog, suspecting it is not a real ESA or service animal
2. "Hi, cute dog you have there, is he a service animal?"
3a. "Cool an ESA - just so you know, ESA's really aren't permitted off leash or out of kennel unless beside you or on your lap, as it defeats the purpose. Even service dogs don't get to wander. I know you're legit, but I have a friend with an ESA and they say how people overstepping their rights make everyone look bad." Ask to see their BP if you're ballsy, which would generally say MEDA, not PETC.
3b. "Cool - service animals are expected to remain 'on duty', and it seems he may not be"
4. "I understand, but the only reason a service animal should be off leash and away from handler is because you are having an episode and he's going for help. You probably don't want someone calling emergency services unnecessarily." FYI This BP may say MEDA, maybe nothing.
5. Politely remove yourself.
6. If situation persists, inform MLL staff.
7. If you feel confident the dog is being masqueraded as a service dog, and you feel empowered for someone to have a very bad day, find the airport's non-emergency police line...
ALTERNATIVE PAX PROCEDURE:
1. "Hi, are you okay???!!"
2. "I was really worried and I have called emergency services. In <insert your state/province> the only reason a service animal of any type would be away from their owner is if they were trying to call for help. Are you sure you're ok?"

There's likely poor training for staff on this issue. A staff process should be something like:

1. Dog comes in off leash, or pax not holding harness
a. Is your dog required because of a disability? If yes, What work is it trained to perform?
b. Given satisfactory answers, but unsatisfactory appearance (no vest/harness) or behaviour of dog, lightly inform pax that authorities have been called in prior instances if the animal acts in untrained manner (eg wandering around the lounge). It is a public area, and the dog must remain "on duty".
c. In addition a service animal would have been registered ahead of time and would be indicated on the BP/ticket remarks. If it's not, then it's not a service animal and should never be off leash or harness.

2. Dog comes in on leash/harness
Same as above, though obviously can add the: should remain on leash bit.

3. Dog comes in in carry-on kennel
a. "That's a cute pet you have! Just so you know, our policy is X" (which requires your pet to stay in its kennel while in the food area, whatever)
b. Pax says it's an emotional support dog. "In that case, while outside of the cafeteria area, you can have it on leash or on your lap. But if it's wandering around you may be asked to leave.

And in the cases where there's an issue with a claimed service animal:
a. Check BP/ticket remarks
b. Remind pax that dog must remain on duty/in carrier etc as appropriate
c. Inform/remind pax that it is an offence to pass as a service dog
d. Call authorities

Or something like that. Pretty basic stuff.... although maybemployees thought they'd only be interacting with the well behaved pax?
Print Wikipost

Search this Thread

Old Sep 30, 2016, 4:54 pm
Original Poster

I'm on a flight and it seems possible someone might have a service dog that isn't really a service dog.

Is it possible for someone to board with a nifty and fake service dog vest?
Old Sep 30, 2016, 4:57 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP; Owner, Green Bay Packers
Of course.

Lots of examples cited in these pages.
Old Sep 30, 2016, 5:04 pm

Programs: AC SE100K MM, Princess Elite
Originally Posted by InTheAirGuy
I'm on a flight and it seems possible someone might have a service dog that isn't really a service dog.

What type of service dog are you assuming it is? There are all sorts... even ones that can detect the early onset of seizures/strokes. The person with the dog looks normal enough (not blind or deaf or anything like that).
Old Sep 30, 2016, 6:01 pm

Originally Posted by yyz_atc_qq
What type of service dog are you assuming it is? There are all sorts... even ones that can detect the early onset of seizures/strokes. The person with the dog looks normal enough (not blind or deaf or anything like that).
I'm missing the photo.
Old Sep 30, 2016, 6:08 pm

Programs: ACSEMM QRGold SPGLifetimePlat FairmontPlat HyattD AMEXCenturion SerenaPlat TalkBoard Founding Member
I've had a St. Bernard in my aisle in domestic J as an anxiety service dog (not mine).
Old Sep 30, 2016, 6:11 pm

Programs: AC S100K

You can't show up at the airport with a dog, slap a vest on it, and expect to board.

AC requires 48 hours notice and, in the case of emotional support animals, documentation from a licensed mental health professional.

Only dogs are allowed as emotional support animals.

There is growing use of support animals in the community, but that doesn't mean people are abusing airlines' rules because people fly with them.
Old Sep 30, 2016, 6:13 pm

Programs: DL, AC, Bonvoy, Accor, Hilton

Please heed the old saying of let sleeping dogs lie.
It's not of your business, is it? Seriously, why are you sticking your nose into this? Air Canada requires that service animals be registered a minimum 24 hours prior to a flight and this requires calling reservations. If there is no dossier on the customer than the reservation agent will often if not always ask for evidence that the animal is a CERTIFIED service animal. Happy?

Here's a suggestion to better use your time. Monitor the passengers. Watch them as attentively as you watched the passenger and the dog. If any picks his/her nose, please come and inform everyone as you are doing here, because I believe it is equally important.

The clucking, sighing and finger shaking that will follow will truly fix this.

And if anyone is shocked by my comment I draw your attention to the following well publicized AC position on "emotional support" animals.

Dogs as emotional support or psychiatric service animals
If you wish to travel with a dog* as an emotional support or psychiatric service animal, you will need to ensure that your animal is harnessed. You must also provide supporting documentation in the form of an original letter on the letterhead of a licensed mental health professional (e.g. a psychologist, psychiatrist or licensed clinical social worker), dated within one year of your departure date.

The letter must confirm that:
You have a mental or emotional disability recognized by the DSM-IV (Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders)
You need your dog for emotional or psychiatric support during travel and/or at destination
The person who prepared the document is a licensed mental health professional
You are currently under the care of the licensed mental health professional who prepared the document

The letter must also provide information on the mental health professional’s license (i.e. type of licence, date issued, and issuing authority).*NOTE: Air Canada does not accept animals other than dogs as emotional support or psychiatric service animals.
RPVMom likes this.

Last edited by Transpacificflyer; Sep 30, 2016 at 6:19 pm
Old Sep 30, 2016, 6:17 pm

Originally Posted by BlueMilk
AC requires 48 hours notice
Originally Posted by Transpacificflyer
Air Canada requires that service animals be registered 24 hours prior to a flight
Not that it really changes whether or not the OP witnessed a genuine service animal or not.... but is it 24 or 48 hours?
Old Sep 30, 2016, 8:23 pm

Programs: AC*SE, Marriott Plat, Natl Exec, NEXUS
Originally Posted by yyz_atc_qq
Not that it really changes whether or not the OP witnessed a genuine service animal or not.... but is it 24 or 48 hours?
48, but for some destinations it is 72. The list of 72 hour destinations is included on the Service Animals page on AC.com.
http://www.aircanada.com/en/travelin...ceanimals.html

For all other itineraries, if you plan on travelling with a service animal, we require that you:

Inform Air Canada Reservations at least 48 hours prior to departure. However, we will make every effort to accommodate requests made within that time frame.
Be at the airport for check-in at least one extra hour ahead of the recommended check-in time
Old Sep 30, 2016, 8:41 pm

Originally Posted by YEGTigger
48, but for some destinations it is 72. The list of 72 hour destinations is included on the Service Animals page on AC.com.
http://www.aircanada.com/en/travelin...ceanimals.html
Actually after reading that info, it's 48hrs.

The 72hr requirement is if you want a seat with additional floor space (aka bulkhead or similar)

*EDIT*

Well after re-reading the page, it leads me to think I was correct above, but if I click the 72hr link it makes me think I'm not.... who knows.

Last edited by yyz_atc_qq; Sep 30, 2016 at 8:42 pm Reason: now I'm unsure
Old Sep 30, 2016, 9:46 pm

Programs: AC*SE-MM, BA Bronze, Marriott Titanium & lifetime Plat
I understood AC also doesn't accept emotional support service animals on domestic routes, but due to US law is required to do so on US routes. (Heard of someone flying YYZ-YVR via SEA on two separate tickets for that reason)
Old Sep 30, 2016, 10:16 pm
Original Poster

Well I will provide more info after I left some sleep, but did transpacific flyer have a really awful day or something? What an unbelievably snarky response to an innocent question!
Old Oct 1, 2016, 12:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE 2MM; UA MP Premier Silver; Marriott Bonvoy LT Titanium Elite; Radisson; Avis PC
So are we saying that I can bring my self-appointed service mongoose? While it at it, I'll diagnose myself with Adjustment Disorder; Mixed Anxiety and Depressed Mood. I'll throw in some Chronic PTSD.
Old Oct 1, 2016, 12:49 am

Programs: Marriott Titanium, Lifetime Plat, (now an AC nobody)
Originally Posted by yyznomad
So are we saying that I can bring my self-appointed service mongoose? While it at it, I'll diagnose myself with Adjustment Disorder; Mixed Anxiety and Depressed Mood. I'll throw in some Chronic PTSD.
Stolen from the quote above:

NOTE: Air Canada does not accept animals other than dogs as emotional support or psychiatric service animals.
Old Oct 1, 2016, 12:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE 2MM; UA MP Premier Silver; Marriott Bonvoy LT Titanium Elite; Radisson; Avis PC
Originally Posted by CanRulez
Stolen from the quote above:

NOTE: Air Canada does not accept animals other than dogs as emotional support or psychiatric service animals.
Hey, if one rule seemingly can be broken, why not the others?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.