Wiki Posts
Search

Experiences at BOM

Search this Thread

Old Jan 18, 2018, 8:58 am
Original Poster

Programs: AC*SE, SPG Plat, National Exec Elite
Experiences at BOM

I've got an upcoming BLR-BOM-YYZ-YYC flight in J on 9W and AC and was wondering if anybody has any recent experiences to share?
  • Does AC/*A have a transfer desk or will I need to exit the domestic terminal check-in again with AC? This is a single ticket so I assume bags can be checked through.
  • What is the lounge situation?
  • I've flown DEL-YYZ several times in the past - is the BOM onboard service similar?
Old Jan 18, 2018, 9:30 am

Programs: AC SE MM, Bonvoy Plat, Hilton G,Nexus, Amex MR Plat,IHG Plat
Originally Posted by fly_yag
I've got an upcoming BLR-BOM-YYZ-YYC flight in J on 9W and AC and was wondering if anybody has any recent experiences to share?
  • Does AC/*A have a transfer desk or will I need to exit the domestic terminal check-in again with AC? This is a single ticket so I assume bags can be checked through.
  • I've flown DEL-YYZ several times in the past - is the BOM onboard service similar?
I flew BOM-YYZ in J a couple of weeks back. Cannot help you with the transfer in BOM as I do not know the current procedure though Jet should be able to let you know when you checkin at BLR. I do hope you have enough transit time at BOM, domestic delays are very common in India, specially as you move thru the day as most flights are coming from elsewhere and can be delayed for a variety of reasons - example fog in Delhi, Navy training exercises in GOI, etc.
Some of the domestic flight landings have been very entertaining and sometimes scary. A few of the domestic airline pilots are ex military and treat the planes like they are flying solo fighter aircraft with hard banking and very hard braking.
BOM has concierges but its hit and miss. Did not really provide any level of service. At BOM boarding can be a mess, specially if you have to take a bus to the plane. Since you are in J it probably does not matter when you board but it is a bit crazy. There were no zone boarding signs when I was there. You will need to go thru outbound immigration at BOM. There is a separate J line which is quicker for both security and immigration. It is too the very far right of the immig and security desks.
If you go landside at BOM (i.e. not via inter terminal transfer, you need to either show your ticket or boarding pass to be allowed into the terminal. There is a line to enter the terminal, a line to check in, a line for security, a line for immigration and many lines and scrums to board :-)
The checkin desk at BOM will provide a lounge pass. The lounge is not bad IMHO with bar service and food offerings and was not too crowded.
On board service is similar. I posted the menus in the International J meals thread.
Old Jan 18, 2018, 12:02 pm

Programs: FOTSG Tangerine Ex E35k (AC)
Remember that unless things have changed you need a paper ticket/boarding pass. Electronic ones are not recognized at any Indian airports, in terms of getting into the terminal anyway.

Boarding will likely be a disaster. But at least you won't have luggage issues in J when you finally get on.
Old Jan 18, 2018, 1:03 pm

Programs: AC E50K
Originally Posted by jc94
Remember that unless things have changed you need a paper ticket/boarding pass. Electronic ones are not recognized at any Indian airports, in terms of getting into the terminal anyway.

Boarding will likely be a disaster. But at least you won't have luggage issues in J when you finally get on.
I think you are mistaken. Paper tickets haven't been issued for almost a decade now.
e-ticket itineraries are recognized at DEL. I always show them my booking confirmation on my phone, no problems. I see lots of other people doing this as well.
Old Jan 18, 2018, 1:27 pm

Programs: AC SE MM, Bonvoy Plat, Hilton G,Nexus, Amex MR Plat,IHG Plat
Originally Posted by newcdn
I think you are mistaken. Paper tickets haven't been issued for almost a decade now.
e-ticket itineraries are recognized at DEL. I always show them my booking confirmation on my phone, no problems. I see lots of other people doing this as well.
Yes that's right. You can enter the airport with a e-ticket, you need to show it to them on the phone. However they want a paper boarding pass which they stamp when you clear security which is a mandatory pat down.
Old Jan 18, 2018, 6:03 pm

My bad, I thought a paper confirmation (like an eticket but printed) was still required to get into the airport. I was misinformed

They do love their pat downs, especially when one is wearing zip offs with metal in them.
Old Jan 18, 2018, 6:20 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
My bad, I thought a paper confirmation (like an eticket but printed) was still required to get into the airport. I was misinformed

They do love their pat downs, especially when one is wearing zip offs with metal in them.
For general reference, printing out an electronic ticket receipt does not mean you have a paper ticket. It's still electronic.
Old Jan 18, 2018, 6:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE 2MM; UA MP Premier Silver; Marriott Bonvoy LT Titanium Elite; Radisson; Avis PC
Paging @Sean Peever
Old Jan 18, 2018, 6:33 pm

Programs: AC SEMM / HH Diamond
Boarding will likely be a disaster.
Only a disaster? Sweet ... things must have improved there
Old Jan 18, 2018, 7:00 pm

Originally Posted by canadiancow
For general reference, printing out an electronic ticket receipt does not mean you have a paper ticket. It's still electronic.
Sure, I was just told paper proof of a ticket was required. Despite how easy it being to fake.

I just print what CWT give me. Whereas NA and EU travel I just have the reference number to hand on my cell.

Also bear in mind AI out of DEL initially refused to let me board because I didn’t have proof of an ESTA. I travel with more paperwork in India than anywhere else on the planet.
Old Jan 18, 2018, 7:01 pm

Originally Posted by canopus27
Only a disaster? Sweet ... things must have improved there
Well you do eventually get on after standing in a crowd of 300 people and 500 carryons for an hour regardless of what zone you are in.
Old Jan 18, 2018, 7:16 pm

Programs: UA Premier Platinum

Well you do eventually get on after standing in a crowd of 300 people and 500 carryons for an hour regardless of what zone you are in.
The last time I flew out of BOM they let about 100 people onto the pathway to the jet bridge before realizing they had forgot to board wheelchairs, then had all those people just stand there for 40 minutes as they rolled the usual 50 wheelchairs on.
Old Jan 18, 2018, 7:38 pm

Originally Posted by eigenvector
The last time I flew out of BOM they let about 100 people onto the pathway to the jet bridge before realizing they had forgot to board wheelchairs, then had all those people just stand there for 40 minutes as they rolled the usual 50 wheelchairs on.

Cool, all zone 1 get to board on wheelchairs! Maybe it makes the actual wheelchair users less self conscious about their conditions?
canadiancow likes this.
Old Jan 19, 2018, 12:08 am

Programs: LH M+M
re e-tix: connected HYD-BLR-FRA and while having boarding-pass only on smartphone got me through "the door" (domestic->international) they asked for printing it before check-in. And there is a printer available where you scan the barcode and there you go -- unless it cannot scan (size/glare/..). After a bit of roll-eyes and smirks I was allowed to check-in counter and got my paper-copy from another roll-eyes lady there (and then maaaaany stamps, they like stamps).

While I was planning this trip, my indian contact advised me two things:
- do not fly Air India or Jet
- do NOT NOT NOT go via BOM

YMMV :-)
Old Jan 19, 2018, 7:11 am

Programs: It's hard to get status when the website won't let me book flights.
Originally Posted by fly_yag
I've done the BLR-BOM-Something-YYZ connection more than a few times - but mine were always on AI not 9W because I wanted to make sure it was on the same ticket etc and at the time 9W was not offering such a thing. While it might be different with AI, I often exit customs etc in BLR even though I was doing a domestic hop first - which would always throw me off (you get a special boarding pass after) which would make connections in BOM "easier" but still a disaster.

Originally Posted by yyznomad
Paging @Sean Peever
hiiiiii

I've seen a printed out paper requirement be enforced strictly before at BLR, BOM and AMD. Where they would not accept a phone with the info on it. As someone who as frequented these airports I would strongly suggest having a paper print out.

Sure, I was just told paper proof of a ticket was required. Despite how easy it being to fake.

I just print what CWT give me. Whereas NA and EU travel I just have the reference number to hand on my cell.

Also bear in mind AI out of DEL initially refused to let me board because I didn’t have proof of an ESTA. I travel with more paperwork in India than anywhere else on the planet.
That is pretty common. Out of BLR and DEL I've had many employee's who have been refused to board until they could provide a copy of their employment agreement for inspection, a valid ticket, a letter of invite and reference from canada, a letter from their boss in India, A work visa in their passport.
jc94 likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.