Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Booking Aeroplan reward for child with adult flying rev

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 17, 2018, 7:11 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Air Canada Aeroplan

I'm trying to book an Aeroplan reward for my 8 year old YVR-LHR. I will be flying on a paid ticket on the same flight. The aeroplan site seems to request that a booking for a single passenger be made in an adult's name. Questions:

1) Can I still book it in my son's name? The miles would come out of his account, so Aeroplan knows how old he is. I would then call to ensure his correct age is on the ticket.
2) If yes to the above, I presume I will be charged the UK Air Transportation Charge, which is levied on adults but waived for children. Will I be able to get it refunded, or will I lose it because the ticket was booked as an adult?
3) Any other considerations before I call and pay the booking fee?
Old Jan 17, 2018, 7:31 pm

Programs: AC SE MM, Marriott Lifetime Titanium, Hyatt Globalist
I book my son's (5 years old) tickets online as an adult... however, I would say you will not have any luck with #2 as a result So if #2 > #3 then call in!
Old Jan 17, 2018, 9:17 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by mikeyyz
I book my son's (5 years old) tickets online as an adult... however, I would say you will not have any luck with #2 as a result So if #2 > #3 then call in!
Yes, #2 is ~ $130...
Old Jan 17, 2018, 10:55 pm

Programs: AC SE100K, AC 1MM, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold,Hertz something or other, Sandals Sapphire, etc
Originally Posted by Mauricio23
I'm trying to book an Aeroplan reward for my 8 year old YVR-LHR. I will be flying on a paid ticket on the same flight. The aeroplan site seems to request that a booking for a single passenger be made in an adult's name. Questions:

1) Can I still book it in my son's name? The miles would come out of his account, so Aeroplan knows how old he is. I would then call to ensure his correct age is on the ticket.
2) If yes to the above, I presume I will be charged the UK Air Transportation Charge, which is levied on adults but waived for children. Will I be able to get it refunded, or will I lose it because the ticket was booked as an adult?
3) Any other considerations before I call and pay the booking fee?
i have booked individual flights for my children without any problems. I just call afterwards and made sure that they link my paying res with the Aeroplan res.
Old Jan 17, 2018, 11:32 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Yhztraveller

i have booked individual flights for my children without any problems. I just call afterwards and made sure that they link my paying res with the Aeroplan res.
Was this for flights to the UK? If yes, did you get the Air Transportation Charge refunded?
Old Jan 18, 2018, 5:42 am

Programs: AC MM E50 , Former SPG, now Marriott LT Plat
When I book a ticket for one of my kids that requires an adult fare, I usually enter a fake birth year, and then call in to change it and link the 2 itineraries. Never a problem.
Diabeetus likes this.
Old Jan 18, 2018, 8:53 am

Was this for flights to the UK? If yes, did you get the Air Transportation Charge refunded?
Not for the UK Air Transportation Charge, but I have twice had luck calling to get the Australia Passenger Move charge removed from a child booking. This does involve them having to re-ticket. The first time this was no issue, when I did it last month it was a bit more difficult - originally told to contact Air Canada to get the refund, but when let the agent know I had got it refunded through Aeroplan in the past she reached out to ticketing. After ~15 minutes on hold she told me that they could do it. At the end of about 30 minutes on hold they were able to refund the charge (the ticket had multiple segments/stopover so that could have added to the time). Of course it didn't get re-ticketed correctly so I had to call back in again after I lost a segment off the ticket.
Old Jan 18, 2018, 9:35 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by tfoxx76
Not for the UK Air Transportation Charge, but I have twice had luck calling to get the Australia Passenger Move charge removed from a child booking. This does involve them having to re-ticket. The first time this was no issue, when I did it last month it was a bit more difficult - originally told to contact Air Canada to get the refund, but when let the agent know I had got it refunded through Aeroplan in the past she reached out to ticketing. After ~15 minutes on hold she told me that they could do it. At the end of about 30 minutes on hold they were able to refund the charge (the ticket had multiple segments/stopover so that could have added to the time). Of course it didn't get re-ticketed correctly so I had to call back in again after I lost a segment off the ticket.
Sounds like more than $30 worth of trouble.
Old Jan 18, 2018, 11:43 am
Original Poster

I called. The agent told me to book the reward online (as an adult) while she waited, then noted the DOB and queued it off to ticketing for a refund to the air transportation charge. Excellent service from Aeroplan!
Old Jan 18, 2018, 12:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE 2MM; UA MP Premier Silver; Marriott Bonvoy LT Titanium Elite; Radisson; Avis PC
Isn't an Aeroplan booking also considered "rev"?
Old Jan 18, 2018, 1:42 pm

Sounds like more than $30 worth of trouble.
First time I did it 2-3 years ago I think it was a quick easy call with no issues - maybe should have been a HUCA situation once I got some resistance.
Old Aug 19, 2020, 11:52 am

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy Titanium / Amex Aeroplan Reserve / Aeroplan 50k
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by Yhztraveller

Amazing place this is. My EXACT question, and a clear answer.
Thanks, FlyerTalk.
Old Jun 28, 2022, 9:08 am
Original Poster

Sorry for reviving a four year old thread, but I'm back at the same issue.

Adult flying a paid ticket. 9-year old flying a reward ticket. Entered a fake DOB in order to book the reward ticket, as the system would not allow a 9-year old as a singe passenger on a separate PNR.

In the past, the procedure was to call Aeroplan, have them correct the DOB, and link the two PNRs. I have now been on hold on the Aeroplan line for 2+ hours on two consecutive days; the first time I had to to hang up go somewhere else, the second time they hung up on me. I don't have that kind of time or stoic disposition.

My understanding is that, as a non-status passenger, linking PNRs is a performative act; it only matters if a human is looking at the record when rebooking, which doesn't happen these days. However, I'm wondering if leaving the fake DOB on the PNR will cause problems later on, or if it will just get ignored when I enter the correct DOB when providing the API. If it is not going to matter, I'm inclined to not call and let things be. Any information or actual experience on this kind of situation would be much appreciated.

Also, if calling is a necessity, is changing the DOB on the Aeroplan ticket something that can be done by the revenue side (on which occasionally I can get the callback feature), or am I stuck with calling the Aeroplan number?
Old Jun 28, 2022, 11:35 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
My understanding is that, as a non-status passenger, linking PNRs is a performative act; it only matters if a human is looking at the record when rebooking
That used to be the case, but is no longer true. Certain systems will see the link and behave differently (for example, OLCI will check you both in at once).

Also, if calling is a necessity, is changing the DOB on the Aeroplan ticket something that can be done by the revenue side (on which occasionally I can get the callback feature), or am I stuck with calling the Aeroplan number?
I'd recommend doing it, but I don't see a huge need to do it "now" unless travel is imminent. I'm not sure if AC res can handle it, but they might be able to.
Mauricio23 likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.