Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Aeroplan's Best Kept Secret: award flights into Iqaluit

Aeroplan's Best Kept Secret: award flights into Iqaluit

Old Aug 24, 2018, 5:08 am

Originally Posted by nolens volans
Booked another award flight on 5T the other day, and was again charged the $30 Aeroplan booking fee, so it now seems like a consistent policy to charge this fee for 7F/5T bookings. As far as I could gather, the policy used to be that the Aeroplan booking fee was only charged if you used the call centre to book something you could have booked online (which is not the case for award flights on any of the northern airlines - you have no choice but to book through the call centre).
Is there $100 surcharge per return ticket on 5T? ($100 surcharge on 7F when I redeemed it in end of July.)
Old Aug 24, 2018, 5:17 am

Programs: Programs? I don't need no stinking programs
Originally Posted by canadiancow
This is simply not the case, unless you're talking more than 5 years ago. Just look in the mini rtw thread. Everyone who wants 2 stops and a destination pays a fee, and that's certainly not possible online.
OK, so then I probably was talking more than 5 years ago as far as that general principle was concerned - I stand corrected.

However, applying the booking fee to 5T or 7F redemptions is definitely a new thing.
YXUhomebase likes this.

Last edited by nolens volans; Aug 24, 2018 at 5:28 am
Old Aug 24, 2018, 5:26 am

Originally Posted by andye
Is there $100 surcharge per return ticket on 5T? ($100 surcharge on 7F when I redeemed it in end of July.)
The ticket I just booked was YFB-YZF o/w, not YFB-YOW, so I can't say whether there has been an increase in 5T surcharges on YOW-YFB. Total fees were around $28 plus the $30 booking fee.
Old Aug 24, 2018, 1:20 pm

Programs: AC SE; SPG Platnium; HH G
Originally Posted by canadiancow
I know the process, and I was responding to a very specific comment ("the policy used to be that the Aeroplan booking fee was only charged if you used the call centre to book something you could have booked online") which is factually wrong.
actually it was more than five years ago and thus they were correct. The post did say it used to be. You inserted the time limit of five years ago.
Old Oct 22, 2018, 10:00 am

Programs: AC Black Card, Nexus
A few quick questions on this! I've had this thread bookmarked for some time, and I think I want to start looking into this more seriously.

Is flying out of Toronto eligible for the 15000pt spend (ideally to YXY)?
And for a separate itinerary, I'm interested in flying to Nain (Air Borealis?), is that also part of one of these itineraries I can book over the phone with? Any insight on points for that?
Old Oct 24, 2018, 10:37 am

Originally Posted by yosemite1
Is flying out of Toronto eligible for the 15000pt spend (ideally to YXY)?
AFAIK the 15k short-haul redemption rate for travel from the provinces to the territories and v.v. is only good for the direct north-south flights YOW-YFB, YUL-YFB, YWG-YRT, YEG-YZF, YYC-YZF (and maybe YVR-YXY?). Adding any connections at either the southern end (such as YYZ-YOW) or the northern end typically bumps it up to 25k.

I don’t believe there is any way to get from eastern Canada to YXY for 15k Aeroplan miles.

Originally Posted by yosemite1
And for a separate itinerary, I'm interested in flying to Nain (Air Borealis?), is that also part of one of these itineraries I can book over the phone with? Any insight on points for that?
Don't know too much about this since I haven’t flown above YYR in the last couple of years, but I don’t think PAL/Borealis have any partnership with Aeroplan at all. I have the impression Air Labrador had (or maybe were just contemplating) some kind of not-connected-with-anybody-else frequent-flier scheme of their own before the merger, but no idea what's happened since they became Borealis. I do believe they interline with Westjet so maybe Air Miles...
Old Nov 24, 2018, 11:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC 75K, Hertz President’s Circle, Accor Gold, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold
Just booked YWG-Churchill via Calm Air. You actually call Calm Air, they contact Aeroplan to redeem the points and Calm Air charges $15 in taxes Best 7,500 miles I’ve spent! Taking the train with sleeper back for $260 on a Black Friday Via Rail sale. The flight to Churchill is oddly operated by First Air on a 737.
cedric and pitz like this.
Old Nov 24, 2018, 12:26 pm

Programs: AC- SE100 1MM, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum, National Executive, Nexus/GE
Originally Posted by Altaflyer
Just booked YWG-Churchill via Calm Air. You actually call Calm Air, they contact Aeroplan to redeem the points and Calm Air charges $15 in taxes Best 7,500 miles I’ve spent! Taking the train with sleeper back for $260 on a Black Friday Via Rail sale. The flight to Churchill is oddly operated by First Air on a 737.

NIce, something I like to do and i think i will call also........perhaps when its less snowy though!
Old Nov 24, 2018, 1:30 pm

The flight to Churchill is oddly operated by First Air on a 737.
Any chance there's a stop in YRT on your way?
We went to YYQ a few years ago with Air Miles tickets.
Supposed to stop in YRT. Due to runway conditions there, the 737 was subbed for an ATR.
We left YWG 3 hours late and went n/s to YYQ.
Got $25 each in meal coupons for the departure delay. Not bad for arriving 90 minutes late.
Old Nov 24, 2018, 5:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC 75K, Hertz President’s Circle, Accor Gold, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold
If YRT is Rankin Inlet then I can advise that such a routing was possible in the afternoon but I needed an AM flight as I want to spend the day in Churchill before catching the train in the evening. Will bring some wine for the train as it’s a loooooooong trip . Free checked bags - yes 2 bags on the flight to Churchill. One of these days I’ll remember to add Iqaluit to an award to Toronto
Old Nov 24, 2018, 5:50 pm

This is on my bucket list. Great value!
Old Nov 25, 2018, 2:39 am

Originally Posted by cedric
This is on my bucket list. Great value!
Could've been even better value if you did the segment run as I posted in another forum:

VIA Preference: $200 for 10,000 Preference Points

If there's one thing to say, AC could take a lot of lessons from VIA in terms of meal service, particularly to J customers. Look at what they served me in the dining car on YWG-YXE:

https://imgur.com/a/Nj2bqTE
Bohemian1 likes this.
Old Nov 25, 2018, 2:02 pm

Amazing!
Old Nov 25, 2018, 2:49 pm

Just when I think I have run out of patience with FT, I stumble on a thread that gives me hope. Thanks to OP and others for giving me a different travel activity to consider!
pitz likes this.
Old Dec 12, 2018, 5:56 pm

Programs: Aeroplan, AirMiles
Hubby and I just tried to book YUL-YVM through Iqaluit (Sept 2019) and the quote was for $388 CDN per person plus $33 booking fee. So our ~$150 pp budget is blown because of a "newly implemented" $300 YQ surcharge. The agent told us both First Air and Canadian North are now charging this fuel surcharge. Don't know what the next step is, other than just to suck up the costs. Anyone else have this issue?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.