Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Air Canada planes fly faster than United Airline planes?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Air Canada planes fly faster than United Airline planes?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 15, 2018, 10:14 am

Programs: UA Premier Platinum
For O/D pax schedule padding ends up being a wash, but it does make a big difference for connections. It also helps prevent delays from cascading through the airline's operations. Greater reliability, but lower aircraft utilization when everything is running perfectly.
Old Jan 15, 2018, 11:47 am

Programs: UA
Originally Posted by ridefar
Unless it has to do a fuel stop in DEN because, well, it really is too long a route for this aircraft. (Fellow pax told me this is the longest scheduled CRA route in the world... no idea if that is true.)
I used to fly that route all the time on AC (UA's flights weren't conducive to getting to work in Calgary at a decent hour)....Then, the diversionary airport was Great Falls MT.
Old Jan 15, 2018, 12:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE 2MM; UA MP Premier Silver; Marriott Bonvoy LT Titanium Elite; Radisson; Avis PC
Originally Posted by SparseFlyer
I was just shopping for IAHYYC flights, and noticed that AC flights are 4h long, but UA flights are 4h30m.

Does AC allow pilots to fly their planes faster?
I would also like to know...
Do Air Canada planes fly faster than Delta Airlines planes? If Delta flies faster, I'm switching to Delta as of this thread.

(also, can Ben Johnson run faster than an Air Canada plane?)

Last edited by yyznomad; Jan 15, 2018 at 1:06 pm
Old Jan 15, 2018, 12:53 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by eigenvector
For O/D pax schedule padding ends up being a wash, but it does make a big difference for connections. It also helps prevent delays from cascading through the airline's operations. Greater reliability, but lower aircraft utilization when everything is running perfectly.
The other side of this is that I had to take a 7am SFO-YYZ flight instead of an 11am-ish one because the latter was a couple minutes below MCT for my MUC flight.

Padding can result in an extra 4 hours on a connection, and waking up at an ungodly hour.
Old Jan 15, 2018, 2:41 pm

Programs: AC 75K (*G), NEXUS
Originally Posted by Adam Smith
SparseFlyer, this is the answer. Note also that AA schedules DFW<>YYC for about the same time as AC does on the IAH<>YYC despite DFW being about 30 minutes closer to YYC.

My AC flights to/from IAH have been late far more often than my UA flights. But the actual elapsed time on the flights has been pretty similar. Whether AC actually flies the CRAs these hypothetical 20 mph faster or not, I don't know.

YXE is also sometimes a fuel stop.

It's definitely pushing the limits of the CRA/CR9, but fuel diversions aren't actually all that common. I've flown AC IAH-YYC many, many times and never had to make a fuel stop. One time they had said we were going to have to stop in YXE for fuel, but winds were lighter than expected or whatever and we went straight through to YYC.
From past experience, YQR is a fuel stop as well.
Old Jan 15, 2018, 2:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE 2MM; UA MP Premier Silver; Marriott Bonvoy LT Titanium Elite; Radisson; Avis PC
@SparseFlyer

It's United Airlines with an "s". Such a FOTSG.
Old Jan 15, 2018, 2:56 pm
Original Poster

Programs: *$ Green
Originally Posted by yyznomad
@SparseFlyer

It's United Airlines with an "s". Such a FOTSG.
I ....ed up.
Old Jan 15, 2018, 3:42 pm

Programs: AC SE, FOTSG Platinum
Originally Posted by SparseFlyer
I ....ed up.
How dare you.
Old Jan 15, 2018, 6:49 pm

Originally Posted by SearsTower
YVR to ORD is 10 miles further according to Webflyer
Jan. 7 & 8, that flight diverted to YQR.
YXE seems out of the way compared to other alternatives.
Though YXE is about 15 minutes closer to IAH than YYC.
Old Jan 15, 2018, 7:37 pm

Programs: DL, AC, Bonvoy, Accor, Hilton
Originally Posted by KenHamer
If airlines that "pad" their schedules more reliably arrive on time is it really padding?

No it is not. It is inappropriate and dishonest to accuse the airline of "padding". It maligns the carrier for making a declaration upfront of the reasonable expected time needed to complete the flight. The practice of proper timing acts in favour of a connecting customer because that customer is more likely to make the connecting flight.
On the other hand, an airline like Air Canada which uses times which are not realistic, particularly on flights where delays are common is IMHO intentionally misleading. If one looks at the Asian route flights which have chronic delays, it would be a more honest practice to amend the flight time to reflect the actual experience. Specifically, the flight times in the winter should be changed.
Air Canada will not do this on its own.
Old Jan 15, 2018, 7:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

So who's faster?
Old Jan 15, 2018, 8:31 pm

Programs: AC SE
Originally Posted by eigenvector
Looking at FlightAware, AC has had to divert IAH YYC twice in the last two weeks, once to Great Falls and once to DEN. Is this route pushing the range of a CR9?

It's definitely pushing the limits of the CRA/CR9, but fuel diversions aren't actually all that common. I've flown AC IAH-YYC many, many times and never had to make a fuel stop. One time they had said we were going to have to stop in YXE for fuel, but winds were lighter than expected or whatever and we went straight through to YYC.
Originally Posted by marke190
From past experience, YQR is a fuel stop as well.
The fuel stop is more common on the Northbound due to the winds - I've seen YQR stops a few times, but I've also seen a fuel stop in DFW once on the Southbound YYC-IAH CRA flight.
Old Jan 15, 2018, 9:03 pm

Programs: AC E50K (*G), Westjet Gold
I've seen YQR stops quite a few times too.

What has always puzzled me though, is how UA manages to fill A319/A320s and 737s on this route, while AC can only manage to use CRAs? Same with ORD-YVR and YVR-DFW (AA 738s). The CRAs are comfortable and all, but once you hit 4 hours, you're really pushing it.
Old Jan 15, 2018, 9:20 pm
Moderator, Air Canada; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE MM, FB Plat, WS Plat, BA Silver, DL GM, Marriott Plat, Hilton Gold, Accor Silver
Originally Posted by tracon
Jan. 7 & 8, that flight diverted to YQR.

YXE seems out of the way compared to other alternatives.
Though YXE is about 15 minutes closer to IAH than YYC.
Indeed. In fact, I now suspect that my memory is faulty and that it was in fact YQR to which we were supposedly going to divert.

Originally Posted by Transpacificflyer
No it is not. It is inappropriate and dishonest to accuse the airline of "padding". It maligns the carrier for making a declaration upfront of the reasonable expected time needed to complete the flight. The practice of proper timing acts in favour of a connecting customer because that customer is more likely to make the connecting flight.
On the other hand, an airline like Air Canada which uses times which are not realistic, particularly on flights where delays are common is IMHO intentionally misleading. If one looks at the Asian route flights which have chronic delays, it would be a more honest practice to amend the flight time to reflect the actual experience. Specifically, the flight times in the winter should be changed.
Air Canada will not do this on its own.
What is your problem with "padding"? It doesn't have to be a negative term. Just as padding can protect someone playing sports or goods in a shipment, padded schedules can protect travellers from missed connections, missed meetings and other negative effects of delayed flights.

Originally Posted by nave888

What has always puzzled me though, is how UA manages to fill A319/A320s and 737s on this route, while AC can only manage to use CRAs? Same with ORD-YVR and YVR-DFW (AA 738s). The CRAs are comfortable and all, but once you hit 4 hours, you're really pushing it.
It may have to do with the UA metal flights being generally better timed for connections to UA other UA flights. It may be because a lot of people hate flying in CRAs for 4 hours. It may be because UA's prices on the route are generally lower. It may be because more of the traffic originates in IAH with business travellers who prefer to fly UA. Who knows.

100% agree on CRAs for 4 hours though, they're absolutely awful for that length of flight. They're an upgrade on, say, a DH4 on a 90-minute route, but a long route like this should really be served by something a lot more comfortable.
Old Jan 15, 2018, 9:58 pm

Programs: AC 75K (*G), NEXUS
Originally Posted by nave888

I wonder if the C-Series will take over at least some of these routes?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.