Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Access to MLL "Age of Majority"

Search this Thread

Old Jan 29, 2018, 6:28 pm

Originally Posted by Fiordland
I think liquor is odd one from a pragmatic perspective certain aspects of the laws are not enforced or followed. Most provinces have rules that basically state all liquor must be purchased through a liquor distribution board. Aircraft, trains and ships are examples where they are going to violate the spirit (no pun intended) of the law buy buying the product in one province and sell or serve it in another. Having a separate BC, Alberta, and SK cart used in flight would be silly. Agree a lounge is more likely to follow the local provincial rules.
Not pragmatism but jurisdiction again. Almost everything that happens onboard an aircraft is deemed to be Federal jurisdiction - the liquor is purchased to be served within a federally-regulated activity not for the purposes of moving it from one Provincial jurisdiction to another Provincial jursidiction for a 3rd-party that would be subject to Provincial regulation.
Old Jan 29, 2018, 6:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE 2MM; UA MP Premier Silver; Marriott Bonvoy LT Titanium Elite; Radisson; Avis PC
Originally Posted by jlisi984
Sorry to dig up a two-week-old thread, haven't been on FT in a while. I wouldn't expect a guest pass to have the same privileges, but certainly when purchasing a business class ticket or with status an under-age passenger should be allowed entry. I used to have the pertinent rules on my laptop/phone to pull up in case of denial of entry...

I wrote a letter since I was annoyed I was denied access as a S100K (BTW, this was an arbitrary thing, and would depend on the lounge dragon). I would then try to find someone in the security line-up that looked "reasonable" and ask them if they'd like to go to the lounge... sometimes they'd be confused, it was certainly somewhat uncomfortable and awkward, and I was denied once. But often people were happy, as one could imagine. Last time I was denied access was before 11:00 am (flight departed 9:00 am) in YVR. I called the Concierge (back when you had direct numbers to the offices) and had a friend of mine from there come to the lounge and sit with me for 30 minutes. (Yes, yes, waste of her time, but more importantly, waste of AC's time because of their stupidity). Lounge agent wouldn't allow me in because "if flight delayed, you could stay until after 11:00 am" and when I pointed out the rules she said "F&B manager isn't available to supervise you right now", with notable annoyance in her voice.

Fun times...
@jlisi984 remind us again - was the concierge chaperone all hawk-eye on you seeing if you'd quickly pour and swig some plonk?
Old Jan 29, 2018, 8:01 pm

Programs: AAexp, AC75k, HertzPC, NationalEE, Accor/MariottP, Hilton/HyattG
Originally Posted by canadiancow
You do need to be the age of majority. That doesn't mean it's the ONLY requirement.

You also can't be piss drunk. Or naked. Or below the legal drinking age if the self-serve alcohol is out.

I actually suspect that the rules might be different in YYC, where I continue to be asked to show my ID at the bar.

This is actually pretty interesting to note, we both got ID'd at the bar both times we've been through YYC MLL this month. Which doesn't really make sense. I know you're around my age but I don't think we look 18... I don't think she looks 18 at all either. Must be the lulu's... LOL

Older Asian gentleman for both times. You?

Originally Posted by canadiancow
I show something valid for boarding a flight

I've actually started asking how old they think I am. They're usually correct within a year or so. All that tells me is that they've been directed (by AC? the province?) to card anyone who looks even remotely young.
Yeah this makes sense, I always ask this too when ID'd and they are usually super close. Only once I had someone say 40... That was just... ???

MLL was the last time I got ID'd. I rarely get ID'd nowadays, which is kind of sad if I think about it ...

My last long term GF used to get ID'd at the MLL entrance almost 50%, and also sometimes in flight. I never thought she looked young but she was told she looked like she was 16 when she was 24(5'2", 95lbs). It drove me nuts. Some people made me feel like I was dating a minor, really sucked. 6 years of that crap from 18-24 travelling in J, a little embarrassing. She didn't like it either, as they almost treated her like a kid. I'm sure she'll appreciate that in 10 years but I miss out on that privilege now LOL. And the worst part is they never ID'd me, and we were the same age. Am I the creepy old guy dating a minor? ... sigh

Last edited by SKYEG; Jan 29, 2018 at 8:12 pm
Old Feb 1, 2018, 11:20 am

Programs: AC*S100K 1MM, LH FTL, Hyatt Globalist, Accor Plat
Originally Posted by SKYEG
This is actually pretty interesting to note, we both got ID'd at the bar both times we've been through YYC MLL this month. Which doesn't really make sense. I know you're around my age but I don't think we look 18... I don't think she looks 18 at all either. Must be the lulu's... LOL

Older Asian gentleman for both times. You?
I know who you're talking about... funny story - first time I walked in and there was a bartender, I was there with my dad (no status, but who was flying out of YYC in J a few times before). The guy says "Steve! So good to see you" to my dad. "What are you doing here?!" (Steve is not my dads' name!) I was surprised, and thought my dad had really been to the lounge so many more times than I... Turns out my dad worked with this man, T., as one of his first jobs in Canada, at the CP hotel in YYC (now Fairmont). Small world!
Old Feb 1, 2018, 3:36 pm

Programs: AAexp, AC75k, HertzPC, NationalEE, Accor/MariottP, Hilton/HyattG
Originally Posted by jlisi984
I know who you're talking about... funny story - first time I walked in and there was a bartender, I was there with my dad (no status, but who was flying out of YYC in J a few times before). The guy says "Steve! So good to see you" to my dad. "What are you doing here?!" (Steve is not my dads' name!) I was surprised, and thought my dad had really been to the lounge so many more times than I... Turns out my dad worked with this man, T., as one of his first jobs in Canada, at the CP hotel in YYC (now Fairmont). Small world!
Hahaha wow!!! What a story. He's actually a super nice guy, insisted we have an extra drink or two before we went off to find some real food... LOL

I still remember that day I met you and you guested me into the YYC MLL(I think I had just turned 18 or 19). Underage SE guesting me in... now that was awesome . Thanks again for that!
Old Feb 1, 2018, 4:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by SKYEG

My last long term GF used to get ID'd at the MLL entrance almost 50%, and also sometimes in flight. I never thought she looked young but she was told she looked like she was 16 when she was 24(5'2", 95lbs). It drove me nuts. Some people made me feel like I was dating a minor, really sucked. 6 years of that crap from 18-24 travelling in J, a little embarrassing. She didn't like it either, as they almost treated her like a kid. I'm sure she'll appreciate that in 10 years but I miss out on that privilege now LOL. And the worst part is they never ID'd me, and we were the same age. Am I the creepy old guy dating a minor? ... sigh
My wife used to be asked for ID at the liquor store when almost forty. OTOH, her nice, visiting from overseas, was able to buy duty free alcohol on the flight when she was maybe 14...

My son when 17 went on a rafting trip and they all went for drinks with a female OPP officer who never thought he might have been underage. Anyway. YMMV.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.