Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Question: What's the least tiring strategy when flying YYZ-LHR?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Question: What's the least tiring strategy when flying YYZ-LHR?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 9, 2018, 9:14 am
Original Poster

What's the least tiring strategy when flying YYZ-LHR?

Given that the flight is relatively short, which of the following is best (when flying Executive class)?

1. Early evening flight and straight to sleep (or express meal) with or without sleeping pill?
2. Late evening flight and straight to sleep (or express meal) with or without sleeping pill?
3. One of the above, full dinner and don't worry about sleeping?
4. Other?

Thanks!
Old Jan 9, 2018, 9:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*1K MM
Day fight?
its 5.5-6 hours, either way you ll be tired.
Old Jan 9, 2018, 9:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE 2MM; UA MP Premier Silver; Marriott Bonvoy LT Titanium Elite; Radisson; Avis PC
OP, this also depends on what you plan on doing after you land.

Do you have an onward connection? A tight connection?
Do you have a local (i.e. Bath Road) or downtown hotel booked for the day that you land?
Do you have a business meeting the morning you land? The afternoon you land? Business dinner?
Are you seeing a show the night you land?

Are you traveling by yourself? With SO? With family?

I vary my flights and strategies to LHR (and TATL, for that matter) depending on what my plans are after arriving.
Old Jan 9, 2018, 9:30 am

Programs: AC-SE100K MM, BA-S HH-D, MB-G LT Sil, IHG-Plt, Nexus, Global Entry
I've done the YYZ-LHR day flight 3 of my past 4 trips YOW-LHR. Despite the very early morning wake-up at home in YOW, I find it much, much easier on my body and sleep patterns.
--
13F
Old Jan 9, 2018, 9:38 am

Programs: UA Premier Platinum
Dayliner works best for me assuming you aren't connecting onward from LHR. No problem sleeping like a log in the evening after the ride into town.
Old Jan 9, 2018, 9:41 am
Original Poster

In reply, travelling solo, onward connection with a leisurely wait. Day flight doesn't work for this particular type of trip/connection.
Old Jan 9, 2018, 9:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE 2MM; UA MP Premier Silver; Marriott Bonvoy LT Titanium Elite; Radisson; Avis PC
Originally Posted by kevinm016
In reply, travelling solo, onward connection with a leisurely wait. Day flight doesn't work for this particular type of trip/connection.
Are you on paid Business Class (J/C/D/Z/P)?

Do you care about getting any sort of service while in J? Some people like to experience such things from time to time.
Old Jan 9, 2018, 9:49 am

Programs: UA Premier Platinum
Is your onward flight another long haul? If so, I would tend toward not worrying about sleep on YYZ LHR, I don't find it long enough for a restful sleep and regardless you will be exhausted and sleep well on the second flight.

If you're connecting within Europe, try to sleep on the TATL flight then stay awake until "normal" sleeping time at your destination even though you'll want to hit the sack immediately. A late evening departure out of YYZ may help with this.

YMMV.
Old Jan 9, 2018, 9:53 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by yyznomad
Are you on paid Business Class (J/C/D/Z/P)?

Do you care about getting any sort of service while in J? Some people like to experience such things from time to time.
Yes. What sort of service?
Old Jan 9, 2018, 9:55 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by eigenvector
Is your onward flight another long haul? If so, I would tend toward not worrying about sleep on YYZ LHR, I don't find it long enough for a restful sleep and regardless you will be exhausted and sleep well on the second flight.

If you're connecting within Europe, try to sleep on the TATL flight then stay awake until "normal" sleeping time at your destination even though you'll want to hit the sack immediately. A late evening departure out of YYZ may help with this.

YMMV.
Yes another long haul............ I think you're correct; probably doesn't make much difference re YYZ-LHR (and I have done it many times). I was just wondering what others' thoughts were re the early vs late departure. Now that they have the new lounge at YYZ, probably makes more sense to eat there and then try and sleep..
Old Jan 9, 2018, 10:07 am

Programs: AC-SE100K, AC-3MM, Marriott- LT Titanium, SPG RIP
  • Earlier flight
  • Eat before boarding
  • Take sleeping pill ~ 45 min- 1 hr. before take-off (yes- I know the dangers of a delay)
  • Sit in J cabin
  • Fall asleep as the flight is taxiing
  • Wake up 30 minutes before landing
  • Shower/pressing and breakfast in the Arrivals Lounge
  • Go about your day as you normally would....
Works for me, but probably not others.
Old Jan 9, 2018, 10:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*1K MM
Yes. What sort of service?
None good/important enough to lose sleep over (literally)
Its Air Canada J, the meal is worth about $5, and the booze even less, like the post above says, you wont miss anything by just going to sleep.

I personally like the later flights, the later the better, makes it easier to just pass out
quantumofforce likes this.
Old Jan 9, 2018, 10:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Now that they have the new lounge at YYZ, probably makes more sense to eat there and then try and sleep..
Which what I was implying with your paid Business Class ticket. This is what I would do with the new lounge and all.

Also, although I'm not as harsh, go with what rankourabu says.
Old Jan 9, 2018, 10:34 am

Programs: AC*SE MM, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold, IHG Plat Amb
If taking a night flight, I prefer to take the last flight of the day. I have a normal meal at home at dinner time, a few drinks in the lounge before boarding, and then nothing on the plane unless I happen to wake up in time for breakfast. I can usually sleep 4-5 hours and a noon-ish arrival time means I don't have a long day with insufficient sleep the night before. I can never get to sleep quickly enough on the earlier flights and end up crashing at some point in the afternoon the arrival day, which throws my schedule off for a few days.
Old Jan 9, 2018, 10:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I too tend to gravitate towards the midnight-ish flight.

If I take one of the earlier redeyes, I usually make use of the Arrivals Lounge if my hotel can't confirm an early check-in.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.