Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Altitude Status Extension for Parental Leave

Old Jan 9, 18, 7:41 am
Original Poster

Programs: AC E75K

It looks like I may have to make use of this benefit as I just learned this morning that the family will be expanding in about 9 months!

Has anyone around here used this perk since it was introduced last year? How was the experience? The wording on the website is a bit vague as to the length of the extension but it seems like they would basically grant a whole year of status though I'd like first-hand confirmation on that.
eracerblue and DNAwizard like this.
Old Jan 9, 18, 7:52 am

Programs: AC-SE100K, AC-3MM, Marriott- LT Titanium, SPG RIP
Originally Posted by jasdou View Post
It looks like I may have to make use of this benefit as I just learned this morning that the family will be expanding in about 9 months!

Has anyone around here used this perk since it was introduced last year? How was the experience? The wording on the website is a bit vague as to the length of the extension but it seems like they would basically grant a whole year of status though I'd like first-hand confirmation on that.
I have not used the benefit (my kids are all older) but I wanted to say Congratulations!!
jasdou likes this.
Old Jan 11, 18, 2:52 pm

Originally Posted by jasdou View Post

congratulations!

It is easy to use. Send an email, attach birth certificate and a letter from employer stating your travel was curtailed this year due to the child and then a few weeks later I was told I would re-qualify. Made it anyway, but I went through the process just in case anyway.
Old Jan 12, 18, 9:51 am

Quantum - Was it necessary to go on an actual leave, or simply stating that travel was reduced due to a newborn child was sufficient in your case?
Old Jan 12, 18, 1:06 pm

Congrats!

I used the leave this year, which was greatly appreciated. In my case I took a four-month parental leave, and once I was back at work full time I sent them a fairly generic letter from our HR department to get the year extension. My sense was that it needed to be a formal leave to be eligible, but maybe not?
Old Jan 12, 18, 1:11 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AC E75K
Originally Posted by TheFlyingProf View Post
Congrats!

I used the leave this year, which was greatly appreciated. In my case I took a four-month parental leave, and once I was back at work full time I sent them a fairly generic letter from our HR department to get the year extension. My sense was that it needed to be a formal leave to be eligible, but maybe not?
Thanks all for the kind words and the replies! Well, I will certainly be taking a few weeks off from work after the birth and then will travel a bit less for the next couple of months so hopefully I will qualify! We shall see I guess.
Old Jan 12, 18, 4:59 pm

Originally Posted by cjavan View Post
Quantum - Was it necessary to go on an actual leave, or simply stating that travel was reduced due to a newborn child was sufficient in your case?
It simply stated that my travel has been reduced and/or moved to the near future.
Old May 20, 18, 11:11 am

Hello

We welcomed our first child and I took off three months of paternity leave from Jan - April this year. I have been 100k for past 4 years and am until the end of 2018 benefit year.

I am now back to work and travelling a bit but I dont think I will make 100k this year. I estimate I should get ~75k.

I am not sure how the Altitude Status Extension works - and if I should still book AC for all my flights this year. This might be a year for me to try flying CX,Emirates, and other airlines esp if they extend your status for a year?

If anyone has any first hand knowledge or experience of how the program works - would be very helpful.
Old May 20, 18, 11:32 am

Programs: Air Canada Elite, Continental Gold, IC Royal Ambassador, SPG Gold
They are very professional and reasonable with it. In my case it was more like a 5 month gap in flying and instead of making 100k I was at 75k. When I restarted travelling I emailed with a copy of the brith certificate and other required information and after a few reasonable questions, my status was bumped back up to SE.

Originally Posted by llbean View Post
Hello

We welcomed our first child and I took off three months of paternity leave from Jan - April this year. I have been 100k for past 4 years and am until the end of 2018 benefit year.

I am now back to work and travelling a bit but I dont think I will make 100k this year. I estimate I should get ~75k.

I am not sure how the Altitude Status Extension works - and if I should still book AC for all my flights this year. This might be a year for me to try flying CX,Emirates, and other airlines esp if they extend your status for a year?

If anyone has any first hand knowledge or experience of how the program works - would be very helpful.
eracerblue likes this.
Old May 20, 18, 1:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE 2MM; UA MP Premier Silver; Marriott Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium Elite
Originally Posted by eastcoastcan View Post
They are very professional and reasonable with it. In my case it was more like a 5 month gap in flying and instead of making 100k I was at 75k. When I restarted travelling I emailed with a copy of the brith certificate and other required information and after a few reasonable questions, my status was bumped back up to SE.
Were you SE also in previous years to that?
Old May 20, 18, 3:27 pm

Programs: AC - SE100K
Originally Posted by eastcoastcan View Post
I can vouch for this. I was SE for 3 years before I applied for it. Birth Certificate and letter from my employer re-qualified me for SE the following year. I finished the year of my daughter's birth at about 85k AQM, but I did take a few months off travel to be with my new daughter. I agree it is a very professional and reasonable program, and I applaud AC for it.
eracerblue likes this.
Old May 20, 18, 7:50 pm

Programs: Air Canada Elite, Continental Gold, IC Royal Ambassador, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by yyznomad View Post
Were you SE also in previous years to that?
Yes
Old Jun 2, 18, 5:11 pm

Did they extend your status for 12 months from date you finished your leave or did they extend this for the whole benefit year?
Old Jun 2, 18, 5:49 pm

Programs: AC - SE100K
Originally Posted by llbean View Post
Did they extend your status for 12 months from date you finished your leave or did they extend this for the whole benefit year?
I applied in early January (my daughter was born the previous October), after missing SE by a shade due to reduced travel in the 3rd and 4th quarters. I was granted SE status for the balance of the benefit year: to the end of February of the year following the application.
Old Oct 4, 18, 11:21 am

Programs: Aeroplan, Marriott Rewards, Amex
This is my first post so please be gentle. I applied for the parental leave status extension program Monday. I got a call Tuesday confirming the extension of my lowly E35K status. Very happy with the responsiveness and the relative simplicity of the process. I was really hoping they would bump me up to 50K rather than just extend by current status which I will achieve regardless. I will have completed roughly 45 segments by year's end despite being grounded for an entire quarter (we had twins). Unfortunately they can only extend my current status. I may try one more push for 50K once I have all my 2018 flights booked. If I do remain at 35K, rest assured SEs, I will make myself invisible during my lounge visits.
eracerblue likes this.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: