Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Altitude Status Extension for Parental Leave

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Altitude Status Extension for Parental Leave

Search this Thread

Old Jan 11, 2022, 12:48 pm
Moderator, Air Canada; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE MM, FB Plat, WS Plat, BA Silver, DL GM, Marriott Plat, Hilton Gold, Accor Silver
Originally Posted by krayZpaving
Anyone used this yet?
Indeed, there have been experiences posted, which is why I've used my moderator powers to move your post to this thread.
Old Jan 11, 2022, 7:15 pm

Programs: AC*SE-MM, BA Bronze, Marriott Titanium & lifetime Plat
Originally Posted by Adam Smith
Indeed, there have been experiences posted, which is why I've used my moderator powers to move your post to this thread.
Thanks! (I did search but clearly not with the right words!)
Old Apr 3, 2022, 9:05 pm
Hilton 25+ BadgeMarriot 100+ Badge

Programs: Hyatt Glob; Hilton Dia; Marriott AMB; Accor Dia; IHG Dia Amb; GHA Tit
Has anybody used this benefit twice since it rolled out? I am assuming it's possible but due to covid status extension the perk was (temporarily) moot for a couple of years.
Old Nov 5, 2022, 9:11 am

Just want to see if I'm understanding how this program works correctly.
We're expecting our first in April of next year. Wife will be 35k for the 2023 year, but unlikely to travel enough to re-qualify for following year.
Does this mean, if she applies for this program at any point in 2023 that they'll extend her 35k status for the whole 2024 year?
Old Nov 5, 2022, 7:48 pm

Programs: AC*SE MM, Accor Diamond, Marriott Platinum
I have a two part "crystal ball" type question for the hive mind: I'll enter 2023 as a SE with about 100,000 rollover SQM (but obviously no SQD), and also one year of banked SE status from a threshold gift. My family will then welcome a child early in the year, and I'll have very little travel for the rest of 2023.

I will write to AC to apply for/request the parental leave status extension benefit. If AC does grant me a status extension to 2024, what are the chances I will carry forward my rollover 100,000 SQM to 2024 as part of the extension? Shall I also assume that my banked SE will be held in reserve for a subsequent year?

Thanks, all!
Old Jan 8, 2023, 6:27 am

Does parental leave extension results in a new batch of e-upgrade credits and/or extension of expiration date of previous e-upgrade credits? Or it's only status without extra perks?
Old Jan 18, 2023, 9:26 am

I'm SE100K for 2023. I ask Parental leave for 2023 which was granted but they extended me to December 31st 2023? Which I'm already covered by reaching it again last yeat?

Shouldn't I be SE100K until December 31st 2024? Obviously I sent several emails from different adresses and they never answered!Thank you for your interest in the Aeroplan Elite Status Extension program for Parental Leave.
The documentation submitted has been reviewed and, on an exceptional basis, we are pleased to advise you that you have been granted Elite Status 100K, through December 31, 2023.
Please allow 72 hours before the change has been updated online at Aircanada.com

Kindly note, to reach Aeroplan Elite status in the future, you will be required to meet the published qualification criteria. For more information, please visit the Aeroplan Elite Status section at Aircanada.com.
We hope that the many privileges extended to you as an Aeroplan Elite Status member will make your travels most enjoyable.
Thank you for your continued loyalty.
Old Jan 18, 2023, 9:33 am

Originally Posted by Joroy70
I'm SE100K for 2023. I ask Parental leave for 2023 which was granted but they extended me to December 31st 2023? Which I'm already covered by reaching it again last yeat?

Shouldn't I be SE100K until December 31st 2024?
It's because I am afraid you asked at the wrong time. You need to ask for status extension when your parental leave is finished, not before it starts. In AC's mind, if your parental leave is over now, that means are you capable of earning 2024 status by flying during 2023.
Old Jan 18, 2023, 10:06 am

Originally Posted by escape4
It's because I am afraid you asked at the wrong time. You need to ask for status extension when your parental leave is finished, not before it starts. In AC's mind, if your parental leave is over now, that means are you capable of earning 2024 status by flying during 2023.
But I clearly stated and indicated I would need it for 2023 since the baby was born in November 2022...
Old Jan 18, 2023, 10:14 am
Moderator, Air Canada; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE MM, FB Plat, WS Plat, BA Silver, DL GM, Marriott Plat, Hilton Gold, Accor Silver
Originally Posted by Joroy70
But I clearly stated and indicated I would need it for 2023 since the baby was born in November 2022...
If you had already qualified for 2023 status, you needed the extension for the 2024 benefit year, since you would have difficulty qualifying during the 2023 qualification year. As @Escape 4 said, you probably wrote in too early.

Perhaps it would be best if you revisted this later in the year once you're getting back to travelling. When many who qualified for 2023 status way back in the beginning of 2022 only recently had their 2023 status recognized, I doubt they would extend you through the end of 2024 now anyway.
Joroy70 likes this.
Old Jan 26, 2023, 5:30 pm

Originally Posted by escape4
Does parental leave extension results in a new batch of e-upgrade credits and/or extension of expiration date of previous e-upgrade credits? Or it's only status without extra perks?
To answer my own question: a new batch of e-upgrade credits is issued post parental leave approval
asovse1 likes this.
Old Jul 12, 2023, 8:40 am

Programs: AC: 50K, *G, Bonvoy: PE, LT Silver
Hi all. First post here!After reviewing AC's page for parental leave policy, I am a bit lost on how it works. I am the resident AP expert in the office so asking for a colleague.

She will go on maternity leave end of August. At the time of her leave beginning at the end of August, she will have hit SQM and SQD for 75k for 2024; she is an SE for 2023.

Scenario #1
This means she will be 75k for 2024 until she sends in proof of leave, at which point she will be restored to SE. She wants to avoid going down to 75k- so an email to the desk in January 2024 will bring her back to SE for 2024, but will earn status organically for 2025- is this correct?

Scenario #2
Her leave ends in August 2024 and she sends AC her proof of leave. I presume she gets restored to SE from 75k as that was her status when leave began- is this correct? Further, does that extension last for only Sept-Dec 2024?

In scenario #1, nearly a full year to earn status, but in scenario #2, only four months- is there a cut-off like with e-up expiries- before July 1, after July 1 type deal? I can't imagine it is expected that if your mat leave ends in August, or say December, you'd have mere months or weeks to earn status.

Cheers and thanks!
Old Dec 7, 2023, 10:07 pm

Programs: AC SE*MM, Bonvoy LT Plat, HH Gold, National EE, Sixt Plat, Hz 5*
After reading this thread I'm wondering when the best time to send my request in would be.

I haven't travelled much for the last half of this year thanks to my baby born in the fall. I will submit a letter from one of my companies stating I've been on parental leave, plus I have a birth cert.

I haven't and won't requalify for SE for 2024. So do I send in the birth cert/letter now for my 2024 SE status, or do I wait till Jan 1?

It sounds like all I'll get is one year of free status so I am best off starting right at the beginning of the year. I'm just concerned that if I end my leave now, they will do something silly like grant me SE for 2023, which I already have.
Old Jan 8, 2024, 8:29 am

Programs: Aeroplan Elite for life; Fairmont Platinum; Delta Platinum Plus
I have read the thread and don't totally understand what happens so could someone explain it to me like I was a five year old.

Here is the situation, my daughter-in-law gave birth in the fourth quarter of 2023. She had already qualified for SE for 2024.

My question is: if she applies for the program now (as here flying for 2024 will be reduced) does she get to keep her SE status for 2024 AND then get her SE status for 2025, or do they "suspend" her status for 2024 (leaving her with no status on the assumption she will not be flying) and then give it back to her for 2025?
Old Jan 8, 2024, 9:23 am

Programs: AC SE100k, Marriott Titanium, UA Silver
Originally Posted by MQS007
I have read the thread and don't totally understand what happens so could someone explain it to me like I was a five year old.

Here is the situation, my daughter-in-law gave birth in the fourth quarter of 2023. She had already qualified for SE for 2024.

My question is: if she applies for the program now (as here flying for 2024 will be reduced) does she get to keep her SE status for 2024 AND then get her SE status for 2025, or do they "suspend" her status for 2024 (leaving her with no status on the assumption she will not be flying) and then give it back to her for 2025?
I've successfully applied for the Parental Status Extension.

1) Congratulations to you and your family!

2) She does not need to apply for the program until she is ready to start flying again at that SE level. I assume she won't be traveling much to start 2024. So she should apply later in 2024, or at sometime in 2025. They don't "suspend the status".

Example timeline from my experience.:
  1. 2018 I flew enough to qualify for SE for 2019.
  2. 2019 child born. I did not fly at all. SQM=0, SQD=0 (AQM/AQD back then I think).
  3. Nov 2, 2019 I applied for the Status Extension. Nov 19, 2019 status extension granted until Feb 28, 2021 (back in 2019 the status year went until Feb 28, now it's Jan 1).
Adam Smith likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.