Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Altitude Status Extension for Parental Leave

Altitude Status Extension for Parental Leave

Old Oct 4, 18, 11:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE 2MM; UA MP Premier Silver; Marriott Bonvoy LT Titanium Elite; Radisson
Originally Posted by YULDCA View Post
This is my first post so please be gentle. I applied for the parental leave status extension program Monday. I got a call Tuesday confirming the extension of my lowly E35K status. Very happy with the responsiveness and the relative simplicity of the process. I was really hoping they would bump me up to 50K rather than just extend by current status which I will achieve regardless. I will have completed roughly 45 segments by year's end despite being grounded for an entire quarter (we had twins). Unfortunately they can only extend my current status. I may try one more push for 50K once I have all my 2018 flights booked. If I do remain at 35K, rest assured SEs, I will make myself invisible during my lounge visits.
With this as your first post, Welcome to FT.

Don't worry, not all SEs bite. Just some of them.
eracerblue and Plumber like this.
Old Oct 4, 18, 12:19 pm

Programs: AC SE100K, Bonvoy Platinum Elite, IHG Gold, Hertz 5*
Originally Posted by jasdou View Post
It looks like I may have to make use of this benefit as I just learned this morning that the family will be expanding in about 9 months!

Has anyone around here used this perk since it was introduced last year? How was the experience? The wording on the website is a bit vague as to the length of the extension but it seems like they would basically grant a whole year of status though I'd like first-hand confirmation on that.
Originally Posted by jasdou View Post
Thanks all for the kind words and the replies! Well, I will certainly be taking a few weeks off from work after the birth and then will travel a bit less for the next couple of months so hopefully I will qualify! We shall see I guess.
First off, congratulations!

I too am expecting another child (number 7!!!!!) It should be interesting for you and I to go through this process at exactly the same time next year and see what happens.

This is actually more incentive for me to push hard on an AQD run in December if necessary as I could actually be securing SE status for 2 years in light of this program.

I wasn't even aware of it so thanks for pointing it out, and again, congrats to you and yours.
eracerblue likes this.
Old Oct 4, 18, 3:46 pm

Programs: AC SE100K, Marriott Elite/Ambassador. NEXUS, National
Originally Posted by yyznomad View Post
With this as your first post, Welcome to FT.

Don't worry, not all SEs bite. Just some of them.
And only if you ask nicely. Positive affirmed consent, and all.
eracerblue likes this.
Old Oct 4, 18, 6:45 pm

This is my first post so please be gentle. I applied for the parental leave status extension program Monday. I got a call Tuesday confirming the extension of my lowly E35K status. Very happy with the responsiveness and the relative simplicity of the process. I was really hoping they would bump me up to 50K rather than just extend by current status which I will achieve regardless. I will have completed roughly 45 segments by year's end despite being grounded for an entire quarter (we had twins). Unfortunately they can only extend my current status. I may try one more push for 50K once I have all my 2018 flights booked. If I do remain at 35K, rest assured SEs, I will make myself invisible during my lounge visits.
hindsight being 20/20 its too bad you didnt wait a couple of months and get E50 and then ask for extension.
Old Nov 1, 18, 11:49 am

Originally Posted by YEG USER View Post
hindsight being 20/20 it’s too bad you didn’t wait a couple of months and get E50 and then ask for extension.
That’s a little what I was thinking - you technically have a year to begin any kind of leave, so if you’re accruing same or higher status early on, it might be worth to hold a request to the last reasonable moment, to maximize usefulness to you.

Another data point, I had a positive experience with this program earlier this year, although it took over a month for them to get back to me. Interestingly the agent who called me identified herself from Aeroplan, which might have something to do with the delay (all the buy-out side-show). Aside from the first month or so, I had originally intended to keep travelling more-or-less per usual, but it ended up being pretty hard on All of us... so I have curtailed significantly (might not even make 25K). The agent informed me that nothing special would show online, but when renewal came around I would remain 50K for 2019. For reference, I lightly chronicled all the time off I had already taken, or intended to take. This along with my recent travel patterns and usual birth certificate did the trick.

I too asked about bumping up a level, with some justification, but no go. This is already a great perk, but it would be even better if you could share status with another, make classic fair cost IKK redemptions, etc - after all, the whole point is that you’re not able to travel much, so if they could “win” my spouse over for the one or two family trips we make in the next 1.5 years, the cost to AC is virtually nil for huge upside. As it is, I would much rather gift my status to someone else that can actually use the perks (regardless of baby) - but that’s getting off topic!
Old Jan 2, 20, 6:44 am

Programs: AC SE100K
So I'm looking to use this perk when my daughter is born at the end of Jan/Early Feb. I had thought that my status would only be extended for the length of time my travel is reduced but it looks like it gets extended for the entire year following, can anyone confirm this please? Also does anyone have any examples of the letter they provided AC? I would have figured that you would need to supply a copy of the UI confirmation or something just as official which had me a bit concerned. Acceptance of a HR generated letter is ideal as I am just taking lieu time/vacation to be home. Never thought I would get to use this benefit, wife and I only planned on 2, but very happy it happened while at SE.

Thanks!
Old Jan 2, 20, 8:26 am

Originally Posted by Danima1 View Post
So I'm looking to use this perk when my daughter is born at the end of Jan/Early Feb. I had thought that my status would only be extended for the length of time my travel is reduced but it looks like it gets extended for the entire year following, can anyone confirm this please? Also does anyone have any examples of the letter they provided AC? I would have figured that you would need to supply a copy of the UI confirmation or something just as official which had me a bit concerned. Acceptance of a HR generated letter is ideal as I am just taking lieu time/vacation to be home. Never thought I would get to use this benefit, wife and I only planned on 2, but very happy it happened while at SE.

Thanks!
I used this program last year, with the birth of my 2nd daughter to extend my (lowly :P) E35K status. As the dad, I only took 2 weeks off work, but my travel was significantly curtailed basically 1-1.5 months on either side. I didn't go on EI (given only took 2 weeks off), and I didn't even get a letter from HR. I just sent an e-mail with birth certificate, and then some background in e-mail, highlight that my travel abruptly stopped for ~3month period around the birth (a lot of my travel is short-haul, Toronto -> New York, so even though miles / AQM is short, the frequency is every 1-2 weeks or so, so it was obvious). They were really professional, and granted me the extension without any additional questions.

If you have an HR letter, I think that would be totally fine, as it's more than I had.
Danima1 likes this.
Old Jan 2, 20, 8:32 am

Programs: AC SE100K
Originally Posted by tylerchris View Post
I used this program last year, with the birth of my 2nd daughter to extend my (lowly :P) E35K status. As the dad, I only took 2 weeks off work, but my travel was significantly curtailed basically 1-1.5 months on either side. I didn't go on EI (given only took 2 weeks off), and I didn't even get a letter from HR. I just sent an e-mail with birth certificate, and then some background in e-mail, highlight that my travel abruptly stopped for ~3month period around the birth (a lot of my travel is short-haul, Toronto -> New York, so even though miles / AQM is short, the frequency is every 1-2 weeks or so, so it was obvious). They were really professional, and granted me the extension without any additional questions.

If you have an HR letter, I think that would be totally fine, as it's more than I had.
That's comforting news, thanks for sharing!
Old Jan 3, 21, 7:19 am

Programs: AC*SE, Fairmont Platinum
Happy new year to all!

Im wondering about whether this is still available in the new Aeroplan/Altitude program - I havent been able to locate any references to it on the slightly maze-like new website. Im also wondering what the dynamics will be when this is combined with status extensions already given because of Covid travel reductions.

We welcomed our first child right before the end of 2020, so regardless of when Covid travel restrictions would have allowed me to ramp back up in 2021, my new child will likely keep me grounded for a good part of the year.

And yet, it strikes me that AC is unlikely to offer status extension twice!

Thoughts?!
Old Jan 3, 21, 7:35 am

Sorry why is a letter from employer required if you already provided proof via birth certificate?

some people earn their status by personal travel and self employed

also the long form birth certificate would have parent info as well as date of birth which they can calculate
Old Jan 3, 21, 1:59 pm

Programs: AC SE100k, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by politico_pk View Post
Happy new year to all!

I’m wondering about whether this is still available in the “new” Aeroplan/Altitude program - I haven’t been able to locate any references to it on the slightly maze-like new website. I’m also wondering what the dynamics will be when this is combined with status extensions already given because of Covid travel reductions.

Thoughts?!
It is still available. They've moved the info to this page:

https://www.aircanada.com/ca/en/aco/...tal_leave_anch

Last edited by Diabeetus; Jan 3, 21 at 2:00 pm Reason: Broken image
Old Jan 3, 21, 2:05 pm

So I'm looking to use this perk when my daughter is born at the end of Jan/Early Feb. I had thought that my status would only be extended for the length of time my travel is reduced but it looks like it gets extended for the entire year following, can anyone confirm this please?
Yes. It is extended the entire year following.

My timeline:
Dec 2018 - last flight ( re-qualified for SE for 2019)
2019 - no flights
Status extended for 2020. Was flying in 2020 until the March lockdown.

Also does anyone have any examples of the letter they provided AC? I would have figured that you would need to supply a copy of the UI confirmation or something just as official which had me a bit concerned. Acceptance of a HR generated letter is ideal as I am just taking lieu time/vacation to be home. Never thought I would get to use this benefit, wife and I only planned on 2, but very happy it happened while at SE.
I drafted a letter to our lead and had them put it on letterhead & sign. The info was minimal, just what AC listed as required on their website. Our lead is a SE2MM so they were understanding/cool with the letter.

AC got back to me after 2 weeks, confirming status extension. 2020 status is extension from parental leave. 2021 status is extension from covid (double extension)...
mileageking likes this.
Old Jan 3, 21, 2:06 pm

Originally Posted by global happy traveller View Post
Sorry why is a letter from employer required if you already provided proof via birth certificate?

some people earn their status by personal travel and self employed

also the long form birth certificate would have parent info as well as date of birth which they can calculate
That thought had crossed my mind as well. Maybe draft a letter on your own behalf?
Old Jan 3, 21, 2:42 pm

Programs: AC Super Elite, Bonvoy Titanium
Originally Posted by Diabeetus View Post
AC got back to me after 2 weeks, confirming status extension. 2020 status is extension from parental leave. 2021 status is extension from covid (double extension)...
Me too! ~25k in flying for both 2019 (baby) and 2020 (before lockdown). It's true what they say, having a baby is the most rewarding thing you can do!
expert7700 and mileageking like this.
Old Jan 11, 22, 12:04 pm

Programs: AC*SE-MM, BA Silver, Marriott Ambassador & lifetime Plat
Parental leave status extension

Anyone used this yet? Presume for those taking ~1 year of leave its a straightforward one year extension. What about for those taking shorter leaves (eg 6-8-12 weeks)? Lower requalification bar? Extension by months instead of a year? Something else?

From the benefits details:
If you are expecting a baby or welcoming a new child into your family, and plan on taking a parental leave, you can request an extension and continue to enjoy the benefits of your Elite Status when you return to flying more frequently. Air Canada is proud to have been the first airline in North America to offer this benefit.

To request your extension, please send an email to [email protected] and include a copy of proof of parental leave from your employer as well as a copy of the certificate of childbirth, adoption or fostering.

Terms and conditions

Aeroplan Elite Status Members who are on an extended leave of absence from work in order to spend time caring for/preparing for a child to join their family (including adoption and fostering) will be eligible for an Elite Status Extension. In order to qualify for an Elite Status Extension, eligible members will need to provide documentation proving their maternity or paternity leave, along with certification of childbirth, adoption or fostering. Following review, documentation provided will be destroyed. Upon commencing more frequent travel following their leave, the Elite Status Extension will enable the member to enjoy the same status held prior to going on leave. Note that Elite Members who hold Elite Status that was granted as a special offer or as part of the "Aeroplan Elite Status for a friend" Select Benefit are not eligible for Elite Status Extension. Elite Status Extension is a discretionary benefit, and Air Canada reserves the right to decline an application for, or to change the offer of, an Elite Status Extension at any time, at its own discretion.

Search this Thread