Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Strategy for Naming Your eUpgrade Nominee

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 7, 2018, 2:32 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AC E50K, HHonors Silver, NEXUS/GE, IHG Elite Gold

Newly minted SE100K member here, and thought I would celebrate by writing my very first FT post, by asking a question I don't seem to have seen asked on FT. I have done a lot of research regarding SE benefits and I thank the FT community for providing terrific advice.

However, I have searched the AC forum and cannot find anything definitive regarding the strategy in naming one's eup nominee. My default would be my wife, but wondering if this topic has been discussed on FT in the past. I did look at previous threads - in particular this one that has some excellent advice about the number of people an SE can upgrade: Max number of companions an SE can upgrade on a flight

Thanks in advance.
Old Jan 7, 2018, 2:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC*SE 2MM
If you wish to stay married, wife as nominee is typically the only call.

Having said that, if you and your wife always travel together or you book her in AJ using Aeroplan points, giving her E50K may be of little benefit other than the ability for you to share in her eUpgrades.

If you are not married, then things open up dramatically.
Old Jan 7, 2018, 3:04 pm

Location: YVR - MILLS Waypoint (It's the third house on the left)
Programs: AC*SE100K, wood level status in various other programs
My strategy would be to either pick someone I liked, or someone I wanted to like me.

Other than that, I'm no sure there's much of a strategic advantage to be had.
flyingcrooked likes this.
Old Jan 7, 2018, 3:06 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by The Lev
If you wish to stay married, wife as nominee is typically the only call.

Having said that, if you and your wife always travel together or you book her in AJ using Aeroplan points, giving her E50K may be of little benefit other than the ability for you to share in her eUpgrades.

If you are not married, then things open up dramatically.
Thanks Lev - I am married, and I do wish to stay that way But she generally travels with me and doesn't travel enough for status on her own.

I did consider gifting her the E50K status but as mentioned above, she generally travels with me when she travels, so I felt the 100% AP points and additional eups were the better choices. This decision on eup nominee, I think, is similarly easy, but wanted others' thoughts on the subject.
Old Jan 7, 2018, 3:40 pm

Programs: AC75 MM
Originally Posted by YYCJeff
Thanks Lev - I am married, and I do wish to stay that way But she generally travels with me and doesn't travel enough for status on her own.

I did consider gifting her the E50K status but as mentioned above, she generally travels with me when she travels, so I felt the 100% AP points and additional eups were the better choices. This decision on eup nominee, I think, is similarly easy, but wanted others' thoughts on the subject.
Suggest delaying the decision until right when you need to use the benefit. For example, your wife (or other immediate family) may not need the benefit as you can use IKK for her. If it looks like you're going to need it to upgrade her economy flight, check the R inventory first (in your booking window) as if its R0 she likely won't get the upgrade. That especially applies if its <24 hours to departure as then its her status, not yours that counts, and anyone in a higher cabin (eg PE) will also trump her. I used to wait until I knew R was open and then I'd nominate Mrs TYVR (its instant) and then run the upgrade.

On the occasions when Mrs TYVR was left in the back, of course I'd swap seats. That gets me good karma not only from her, but also on one occasion from the FA who brought me a survival pack from up front (well some nuts and a G&T)
Old Jan 7, 2018, 4:04 pm

Programs: Only J via Peasant Points, 777HDPeasant or The Unexpected Virtue of Ignorance and Narcissism.
You give it to whoever flies with you less. If wife travels with you most of time, give it to the kids
Old Jan 7, 2018, 4:42 pm

Programs: AC SEMM / HH Diamond
My approach is to find the first guy named Jack that I can, and gift it to him
Old Jan 7, 2018, 5:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC*SE 2MM
Originally Posted by YYCJeff
That's my typical choice (including this year) - although i have concern about what I'll do with my many Aeroplan points post-2020, so had to think longer than normal.
Old Jan 8, 2018, 7:54 pm
Original Poster

Thanks for the advice. In the end I did nominate my wife and as it turns out the nomination expires end of Feb 2018, so guess I will have a new nomination window come March 1st.
Old Jan 8, 2018, 8:08 pm
Original Member

All my eUpgrade nominees were given names at birth.
YYCJeff likes this.
Old Jan 8, 2018, 11:23 pm

Programs: AC:50K
Originally Posted by KenHamer
All my eUpgrade nominees were given names at birth.
Yes, but what strategy did you use when naming them?
Old Jan 8, 2018, 11:42 pm

Originally Posted by cperciva
Yes, but what strategy did you use when naming them?
I can't vouch for him, but I just agreed with whatever my wife wanted for the first child. Then I gave input on the second child.
Old Jan 9, 2018, 7:17 am

Programs: AC-SE100K, AC-3MM, Marriott- LT Titanium, SPG RIP
I don't name a Nominee until i need to...There have been years where I didnt name a nominee at all. Last year, I named a fellow FTer in Mid-Feb and used my eUpgrade credits for them that were going to expire... (Sorry- dont have any extras this year as I will use them all)....so my Nominee (expiring Feb 2018) will go unused.
Old Jan 9, 2018, 8:23 am

Programs: AC*SE & MM/*Wood Gold/HHonors Diamond/Marriott Silver/AirMiles Gold
My father and I were each others nominee's as we were both SEs and usually needed one from each other to complete a TPAC upgrade by the end of the year

This year he didn't qualify so it will probably remain empty
Old Jan 9, 2018, 8:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Seems to me if it's not clear who one's nominee should be, one would be better off selecting another option, such as more credits?

For us it's simple. Every other year my wife gets my nominee spot and uses paid tickets. Following year she gets 50k status on paid tickets and flies on rewards.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.