Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

First trip on Air Canada; are the Premium Economy benefits worth the increased price?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

First trip on Air Canada; are the Premium Economy benefits worth the increased price?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 15, 2018, 6:54 am

Programs: AC E35k, HHonors Silver
I flew PE on the 787 from LHR-YYZ last Friday. Second time I've done so since it was introduced. At $400 or so premium over the flex ticket on that leg it was worth it. (and permitted by my employers travel policy). Leg room and comfort felt significantly better IMHO, small cabin nicer. Food was meh. Booze service OK. I'll be flying that route again in reverse again next month. 125% AQM also uselful!

Prior to the wider roll out of PE across the fleet, the benefit could be that when there was an equipment swap, you stand a reasonable chance (loads, status notwithstanding) at getting bumped up to J. I suspect thats not so likely these days.
Old Apr 15, 2018, 6:01 am

Programs: BA Silver
Originally Posted by arf04

A friend of mine bid upgraded successfully for $250 each way for YYZ-FCO and FCO-YYZ in early December.
Just got upgraded after biding the lowest amount (360 CAD) on TLV-YYZ.
kaffir76 likes this.
Old Nov 22, 2018, 12:59 pm

Don't want to divert this thread yet again, but I am going to India March.

I can fly AC PE from LAX -YYZ - DEL for slightly more than flying PE on CX -- LAX - HGK and then economy to DE (they don't offer PE on that flight).

Is it better to fly PE for the long flight on CX or fly the entire way in PE on AC?
Old Nov 22, 2018, 1:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE 2MM; UA MP Premier Silver; Marriott Bonvoy LT Titanium Elite; Radisson; Avis PC
Originally Posted by Flybunny13
Don't want to divert this thread yet again, but I am going to India March.

I can fly AC PE from LAX -YYZ - DEL for slightly more than flying PE on CX -- LAX - HGK and then economy to DE (they don't offer PE on that flight).

Is it better to fly PE for the long flight on CX or fly the entire way in PE on AC?
Is timing/duration important to you as well? Any other factors? Or are you simply and solely looking at a cost-benefit when it comes to comfort/service?
Old Nov 22, 2018, 5:50 pm

The flights are very similar in time, perhaps the AC is an hour or so less.

I have 10 days, so I want to make the best of it. There are some other flights, but are about 8 hours longer.

I really just want to have the most comfortable flight.
Old Nov 23, 2018, 11:57 am

Programs: FOTSG Tangerine Ex E35k (AC)
Originally Posted by Flybunny13
The flights are very similar in time, perhaps the AC is an hour or so less.

I have 10 days, so I want to make the best of it. There are some other flights, but are about 8 hours longer.

I really just want to have the most comfortable flight.
I assume you mean HKG by HGK?

While I'd quite like to try CX PY and imagine it would beat AC PY, (I think it did on the recent survey where AC came 8th) ... I would do much to avoid a 6h Economy flight HKG DEL, so would personally fly AC if costs were broadly equal and times were negligible. I believe you said AC was more, so it depends if more is $50 or $500 and what else that money means do you (I'm assuming it's not $$$$ more or you'd be going J).

CX does do PY on that route, not sure if that meets your needs (award?) or price. You could also look at HKG to DEL with AI or 9W, possibly in J.
canopus27 and Flybunny13 like this.

Last edited by jc94; Nov 23, 2018 at 12:03 pm
Old Nov 23, 2018, 6:11 pm

Programs: Aeroplan, Marriot, Hilton, IHG, P25K
I have flow premium economy on a number of transatlantic trips, always nicer than economy.
Old Nov 23, 2018, 6:21 pm

Programs: FOTSG Tangerine Ex E35k (AC)
Originally Posted by leisurefly
I have flow premium economy on a number of transatlantic trips, always nicer than economy.
For sure AC PY beats AC Y. However one should keep their expectations in check in order to enjoy it. Do not expect a separate cabin, edible second meal, great service, or a dedicated washroom and you’ll be fine
Old Nov 23, 2018, 6:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*1K MM
Originally Posted by leisurefly
Well duh.
Of course its better than any other economy seat, just by the seat being bigger/more legroom.
But its scraping the bottom premium economy product if you compare it to others.
Old Nov 24, 2018, 12:55 am

There is a Black Friday sale today, so I was able to get a the PY on CX for 3 of the 4 legs (and I got a bulkhead for the one 6 hour leg) for almost $900 less than AC PY. Whoohoo!
And I will hopefully, get tons of miles on AA.
rankourabu and jc94 like this.
Old Nov 24, 2018, 5:50 pm

Programs: BA Exec Club - Demoted to Bronze and re-promoted to Silver alongside AC Elite 50K (gold) in 2022
Paying for a higher cabin has to be viewed in the context of what you're prepared to pay, what you get and what you'd do with the delta!

If the fare difference is between 200 and 400 bucks. I'd do it every time. (the equivalent of a decent hotel room for the night in London. The space in the cabin, the seat, and the (relative) peace and quiet (depending on presence of babies) is worth it. There is no fight for overhead space, early service for drink and food and the meal is better. You need to realise that PE morphs into economy after the first drinks and meal service and so don't rationale the difference in cost equating to better food throughout.

`if the cost starts to nudge above 400 bucks a sector and therefore heading towards a grand return - I then start asking myself how many meals that grand would buy someone.

In a more extreme example, my partner and I paid for PE from Toronto to Sydney in February this year. at $4500 each return, we couldn't afford biz, but on this 16 hour flight PE was worth every cent. Bear in mind on the densified 777 (either 200LR or 300) that economy is 10 across to london (and Sydney) - so when I walked back into economy after 8 hours en route from YVR to SYD - that economy was plain awful! Folk wedged in to seats looking forward to another 8 hours

if th price is right - DO IT!! (and forget the extra cost) - just write it off as a good investment
Old Nov 24, 2018, 6:09 pm

Funny, the price difference was pretty much $400 more than the economy on CX.
Because of the sale, the PE on CX was actually less than economy on AC.

It is about a 24 hour flight, so I figured that the extra money for PE was worth it, especially with the sale.
Old Nov 24, 2018, 7:01 pm

Programs: BA Exec Club - Demoted to Bronze and re-promoted to Silver alongside AC Elite 50K (gold) in 2022
do it! - Especially with CX PE
Flybunny13 likes this.
Old Nov 25, 2018, 8:58 am

Programs: Air Canada SE /*A Gold, Emirates Skywards Silver, Marriott Titanium Elite
I flew PE on YYZ-DEL and the comfort level was definitely quite superior to Economy. I slept so well in PE for hours straight, in a way that I never have in Economy. I would say it is worth it if you need to sleep/rest well on an ultra-long haul flight, that's the biggest benefit.
Flybunny13 likes this.
Old Nov 25, 2018, 9:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE 2MM; UA MP Premier Silver; Marriott Bonvoy LT Titanium Elite; Radisson; Avis PC
Originally Posted by 42000ft
I flew PE on YYZ-DEL and the comfort level was definitely quite superior to Economy. I slept so well in PE for hours straight, in a way that I never have in Economy. I would say it is worth it if you need to sleep/rest well on an ultra-long haul flight, that's the biggest benefit.
I've slept quite well in AC PE. Maybe I was really exhausted.
It's the soft product that some don't like, and I don't necessarily disagree. It just needs a few tweaks to make it competitive, IMHO.
D582 and Flybunny13 like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.