Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Question: Fixed Mileage or Market Fare?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Question: Fixed Mileage or Market Fare?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 4, 2018, 12:53 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Aeroplan
Fixed Mileage or Market Fare?

This may seem obvious to everyone else, but I'm finishing up holidays and am logy...
Taking the family to the US in a couple months - Fixed Mileage with Priority Rewards is 60K points and just under $600 in taxes. Market Fare is 132K points and about $80 cheaper. If points aren't a concern, and the $80 difference isn't a major factor, is there anything else that should convince me one way or another? Fixed Mileage is X class, which is lowest of the low, and Market Fare is W class, which is Flex in Canada and Tango in the US - so more points accumulation and less chance of getting bumped - anything else I'm missing?
Old Jan 4, 2018, 1:35 pm
RZR

Programs: ✈ AC 1MM / S100K - SPG Lifetime Platinum = BONVoY Lifetime Titanium
You won't "accumulate" any points with any of the reward travel you are thinking of booking.
the 60K option is what you need to go for.
End.
Old Jan 6, 2018, 8:44 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by Lantern17
This may seem obvious to everyone else, but I'm finishing up holidays and am logy...
Taking the family to the US in a couple months - Fixed Mileage with Priority Rewards is 60K points and just under $600 in taxes. Market Fare is 132K points and about $80 cheaper. If points aren't a concern, and the $80 difference isn't a major factor, is there anything else that should convince me one way or another? Fixed Mileage is X class, which is lowest of the low, and Market Fare is W class, which is Flex in Canada and Tango in the US - so more points accumulation and less chance of getting bumped - anything else I'm missing?
That statement is incorrect. Flex/Tango is determined by the actual fare basis.
Old Jan 7, 2018, 6:50 am

Programs: Air Canada P25K, Hilton Honors Gold, Marriott Gold, MGM Gold
The only real advantages of market fare are a much better choice of flights and generally much lower taxes. Neither of these seems to be an issue in your case, so go for the 60K. Unless this has changed recently, fixed mileage rewards allow you to select your seat for free, but the market fare does not, so that would eat most of the $80 savings.
Old Jan 9, 2018, 6:12 pm
Original Poster

Thanks for the answers, all - itinerary's changed slightly...when I choose Market Fare, it says it'll be Class K from YYZ-DTW, and then Class W DTW-YYZ-YOW. Looking at the AC Fare Options Booking Classes page (https://www.aeroplan.com/static/pdf/...t_JUL27_EN.pdf) I read that as as Tango - 50% accumulation on the way to Detroit, and Flex on the way home. Am I misunderstanding how it works?
Old Jan 9, 2018, 6:13 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by Lantern17
Thanks for the answers, all - itinerary's changed slightly...when I choose Market Fare, it says it'll be Class K from YYZ-DTW, and then Class W DTW-YYZ-YOW. Looking at the AC Fare Options Booking Classes page (https://www.aeroplan.com/static/pdf/...t_JUL27_EN.pdf) I read that as as Tango - 50% accumulation on the way to Detroit, and Flex on the way home. Am I misunderstanding how it works?
Yes.

There is no accumulation on Aeroplan tickets.
Old Jan 9, 2018, 6:22 pm

Programs: E35K, FPC Platinum
Originally Posted by canadiancow
Yes.

There is no accumulation on Aeroplan tickets.
I just used aeroplane miles to book business class (I) return ticket YVR-YYZ. Taxes were only 60$. Fixed mileage flight options were fewer but suited me, so only 50K aeroplan miles.
I understand no AQM for this, but as its business (don't know what ticket type I means)- would I still get priority luggage and MLL access?

Thanks!
Old Jan 9, 2018, 6:41 pm
Original Poster

Too easy. Thanks!
Old Jan 10, 2018, 5:53 am

Programs: AC SE
Originally Posted by YVRYEGYVR
I just used aeroplane miles to book business class (I) return ticket YVR-YYZ. Taxes were only 60$. Fixed mileage flight options were fewer but suited me, so only 50K aeroplan miles.
I understand no AQM for this, but as its business (don't know what ticket type I means)- would I still get priority luggage and MLL access?

Thanks!
Yes, all Altitude AND COS perks will apply.
Old Jan 10, 2018, 9:56 am

Programs: E35K, FPC Platinum
Thanks very much. What is COS?
Old Jan 10, 2018, 10:39 am

Programs: Altitude E50K / *G
Originally Posted by YVRYEGYVR
Thanks very much. What is COS?
Class of Service (i.e. Business class vs Economy class)
Old Feb 13, 2018, 2:15 pm
Original Poster

Always read the fine print: the biggest difference between the two is that you can use eupgrades on Fixed Mileage fares under the ongoing limited time offer but not Market Fare.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.