CX pilot scams $36k from AC

Reply

Old Jan 3, 18, 10:49 pm
  #1  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: YVR
Programs: Ice Cream Club AC*NO
Posts: 2,327
CX pilot scams $36k from AC

Opportunistic dude booked flights with a code obtained from a Mr. Hunt in Ontario, amounting to $36k in value. According to Vancouver Sun, some were even "First Class" tickets.


If you search his name, you can see some "wanted" ads from the RCMP as well. it's like a bunch of cowboys, these jet setting types! Yee Haw!

Waiting to find out of Mr. Hunt (the accomplice from which the code was obtained) has a first name of Mike.
DrunkCargo is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Jan 3, 18, 10:54 pm
  #2  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: YVR
Posts: 22,150
Originally Posted by DrunkCargo View Post
Opportunistic dude booked flights with a code obtained from a Mr. Hunt in Ontario, amounting to $36k in value. According to Vancouver Sun, some were even "First Class" tickets.


If you search his name, you can see some "wanted" ads from the RCMP as well. it's like a bunch of cowboys, these jet setting types! Yee Haw!

Waiting to find out of Mr. Hunt (the accomplice from which the code was obtained) has a first name of Mike.

Sigh.

This is quasi old news to some here... well at least stuff leading up to this article. Didn't think it needed to be posted here though, but I guess since this is now in the news, it's open season.
yyznomad is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Jan 3, 18, 11:06 pm
  #3  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: YVR
Programs: Ice Cream Club AC*NO
Posts: 2,327
Originally Posted by yyznomad View Post
Sigh.

This is quasi old news to some here... well at least stuff leading up to this article. Didn't think it needed to be posted here though, but I guess since this is now in the news, it's open season.
Yea, we're not all uber l33t airline news aficionados... by "some", do you mean it has been posted?
DrunkCargo is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Jan 4, 18, 12:05 am
  #4  
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: west coast best coast
Programs: TINDER GOLD, STARBUCKS GOLD, COSTCO EXECUTIVE!!
Posts: 2,966
That sounds like what Lucky did, from OMAAT. He reused voucher codes and cycled through them. I'm surprised CX guy didn't try to settle with AC and went to court. What an idiot.
keitherson is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Jan 4, 18, 12:27 am
  #5  
 
Join Date: Jan 2001
Posts: 518
Used to be a regular on this forum, became well known for his super heavy use of an unlimited flight pass at a time mileage accumulation was based on miles flown.
pitz likes this.
visitor is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Jan 4, 18, 12:44 am
  #6  
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: 048′24″N 17636′59″W
Programs: BA Gold,SPG Lifetime Plat, Marriott Platinum, HYATT Diamond, Four Seasons/Belmond Paid Guest
Posts: 865
Originally Posted by keitherson View Post
That sounds like what Lucky did, from OMAAT. He reused voucher codes and cycled through them. I'm surprised CX guy didn't try to settle with AC and went to court. What an idiot.
[37] The fact that full restitution has been made is, in my view, a strong mitigating factor.

This was made PRIOR.. he wasn't ordered to.

Thus it became a factor to his defence.

Last edited by deadinabsentia; Jan 4, 18 at 12:52 am
deadinabsentia is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Jan 4, 18, 5:38 am
  #7  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Mar 2000
Location: Southern Alberta
Posts: 20,547
Originally Posted by visitor View Post
Used to be a regular on this forum, became well known for his super heavy use of an unlimited flight pass at a time mileage accumulation was based on miles flown.
Indeed he is well known to the old timers on this forum.
I attended a mini Do in YWG when he stopped overnight in the Peg.
xray likes this.
airbus320 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Jan 4, 18, 5:47 am
  #8  
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Body in YYZ, heart in YYG
Programs: airlines and hotels and rental cars - oh my!
Posts: 1,657
The best line in the whole article: "... was responsible for booking $35,996.95 worth of free flights using the code and as a result, collected $554.33 in frequent flyer miles."

A $550 reward on $36k in spend. Wow. And people say miles are worthless!
Symmetre is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Jan 4, 18, 6:24 am
  #9  
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Location: YYC
Programs: AC SE100K, BA Bronze, A3*S, Fairmont/Accor Platinum, Hilton Gold, SPG/Marriott Gold
Posts: 4,691
Originally Posted by Symmetre View Post
The best line in the whole article: "... was responsible for booking $35,996.95 worth of free flights using the code and as a result, collected $554.33 in frequent flyer miles."

A $550 reward on $36k in spend. Wow. And people say miles are worthless!
Presumably the $554.33 is based not on the theoretical value from a redemption on those miles but on whatever AC's cash cost to purchase those miles from Aeroplan was.

If AC pays Aeroplan $0.01 per mile, that's about 54K miles. Double it if AC pays half that.

Poor cpm if one had been doing it as a mileage run, but not at all surprising for premium tickets.
Adam Smith is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Jan 4, 18, 7:54 am
  #10  
 
Join Date: May 2016
Posts: 2,353
Originally Posted by Adam Smith View Post
Poor cpm if one had been doing it as a mileage run, but not at all surprising for premium tickets.
Remember, it was reported some where ultra premium first class tickets!
quantumofforce is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Jan 4, 18, 7:59 am
  #11  
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Location: YYC
Programs: AC SE100K, BA Bronze, A3*S, Fairmont/Accor Platinum, Hilton Gold, SPG/Marriott Gold
Posts: 4,691
Originally Posted by quantumofforce View Post
Remember, it was reported some where ultra premium first class tickets!
We laugh at the mention of first class, but is it possible that Tacchi used this code to book some actual flights in F, be it UA domestic "first" or something more fun like LH F, or did this program only allow bookings on AC metal?

Last edited by Adam Smith; Jan 4, 18 at 10:42 am Reason: Corrected typo
Adam Smith is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Jan 4, 18, 8:25 am
  #12  
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: YYZ
Programs: AC E50K, Amex Plat, Fairmont Plat, NEXUS, Aman-user (not really a -junkie)
Posts: 1,617
Originally Posted by airbus320 View Post
Indeed he is well known to the old timers on this forum.
I attended a mini Do in YWG when he stopped overnight in the Peg.
Haha I even looked up the post ! It was Oct 2005

​​​​​​
xray is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Jan 4, 18, 8:28 am
  #13  
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: YVR / PHX
Programs: It's hard to get status when the website won't let me book flights.
Posts: 5,357
Didn't this happen a long long time ago?? Like years and years ago? I remember hearing about it like 4 years ago.
Sean Peever is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Jan 4, 18, 8:31 am
  #14  
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: YYZ
Programs: AC E50K, Amex Plat, Fairmont Plat, NEXUS, Aman-user (not really a -junkie)
Posts: 1,617
Originally Posted by Sean Peever View Post
Didn't this happen a long long time ago?? Like years and years ago? I remember hearing about it like 4 years ago.
2012-2013 but sentencing just happened.
xray is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Jan 4, 18, 9:00 am
  #15  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: YYC
Posts: 19,302
So he moved from Cargolux to CX apparently.
Stranger is online now  
Reply With Quote

Thread Tools
Search this Thread