CX pilot scams $36k from AC

Old Jan 3, 2018, 10:49 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Ice Cream Club, AC SE MM, Bonvoy Life Plat
CX pilot scams $36k from AC

Opportunistic dude booked flights with a code obtained from a Mr. Hunt in Ontario, amounting to $36k in value. According to Vancouver Sun, some were even "First Class" tickets.

If you search his name, you can see some "wanted" ads from the RCMP as well. it's like a bunch of cowboys, these jet setting types! Yee Haw!

Waiting to find out of Mr. Hunt (the accomplice from which the code was obtained) has a first name of Mike.
Old Jan 3, 2018, 10:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE 2MM; UA MP Premier Silver; Marriott Bonvoy LT Titanium Elite; Radisson; Avis PC
Originally Posted by DrunkCargo
Opportunistic dude booked flights with a code obtained from a Mr. Hunt in Ontario, amounting to $36k in value. According to Vancouver Sun, some were even "First Class" tickets.

If you search his name, you can see some "wanted" ads from the RCMP as well. it's like a bunch of cowboys, these jet setting types! Yee Haw!

Waiting to find out of Mr. Hunt (the accomplice from which the code was obtained) has a first name of Mike.

Sigh.

This is quasi old news to some here... well at least stuff leading up to this article. Didn't think it needed to be posted here though, but I guess since this is now in the news, it's open season.
Old Jan 3, 2018, 11:06 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Ice Cream Club, AC SE MM, Bonvoy Life Plat
Originally Posted by yyznomad
Sigh.

This is quasi old news to some here... well at least stuff leading up to this article. Didn't think it needed to be posted here though, but I guess since this is now in the news, it's open season.
Yea, we're not all uber l33t airline news aficionados... by "some", do you mean it has been posted?
Old Jan 4, 2018, 12:05 am

Programs: TINDER GOLD, STARBUCKS GOLD, COSTCO EXECUTIVE!!
That sounds like what Lucky did, from OMAAT. He reused voucher codes and cycled through them. I'm surprised CX guy didn't try to settle with AC and went to court. What an idiot.
Old Jan 4, 2018, 12:27 am

Programs: AC SEMM
Used to be a regular on this forum, became well known for his super heavy use of an unlimited flight pass at a time mileage accumulation was based on miles flown.
pitz likes this.
Old Jan 4, 2018, 12:44 am
Suspended

Programs: Taiwan is a country.
Originally Posted by keitherson
That sounds like what Lucky did, from OMAAT. He reused voucher codes and cycled through them. I'm surprised CX guy didn't try to settle with AC and went to court. What an idiot.
[37] The fact that full restitution has been made is, in my view, a strong mitigating factor.

This was made PRIOR.. he wasn't ordered to.

Thus it became a factor to his defence.

Last edited by deadinabsentia; Jan 4, 2018 at 12:52 am
Old Jan 4, 2018, 5:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by visitor
Used to be a regular on this forum, became well known for his super heavy use of an unlimited flight pass at a time mileage accumulation was based on miles flown.
Indeed he is well known to the old timers on this forum.
I attended a mini Do in YWG when he stopped overnight in the Peg.
xray likes this.
Old Jan 4, 2018, 5:47 am

Programs: airlines and hotels and rental cars - oh my!
The best line in the whole article: "... was responsible for booking $35,996.95 worth of free flights using the code and as a result, collected $554.33 in frequent flyer miles."

A $550 reward on $36k in spend. Wow. And people say miles are worthless!
Old Jan 4, 2018, 6:24 am
Moderator, Air Canada; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE MM, FB Plat, WS Plat, BA Silver, DL GM, Marriott Plat, Hilton Gold, Accor Silver
Originally Posted by Symmetre
The best line in the whole article: "... was responsible for booking $35,996.95 worth of free flights using the code and as a result, collected $554.33 in frequent flyer miles."

A $550 reward on $36k in spend. Wow. And people say miles are worthless!
Presumably the $554.33 is based not on the theoretical value from a redemption on those miles but on whatever AC's cash cost to purchase those miles from Aeroplan was.

If AC pays Aeroplan $0.01 per mile, that's about 54K miles. Double it if AC pays half that.

Poor cpm if one had been doing it as a mileage run, but not at all surprising for premium tickets.
Old Jan 4, 2018, 7:54 am

Originally Posted by Adam Smith
Poor cpm if one had been doing it as a mileage run, but not at all surprising for premium tickets.
Remember, it was reported some where ultra premium first class tickets!
Old Jan 4, 2018, 7:59 am
Moderator, Air Canada; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE MM, FB Plat, WS Plat, BA Silver, DL GM, Marriott Plat, Hilton Gold, Accor Silver
Originally Posted by quantumofforce
Remember, it was reported some where ultra premium first class tickets!
We laugh at the mention of first class, but is it possible that Tacchi used this code to book some actual flights in F, be it UA domestic "first" or something more fun like LH F, or did this program only allow bookings on AC metal?

Last edited by Adam Smith; Jan 4, 2018 at 10:42 am Reason: Corrected typo
Old Jan 4, 2018, 8:25 am

Programs: AC E75K, Amex Plat, NEXUS, Aman-user (not really a -junkie)
Originally Posted by airbus320
Indeed he is well known to the old timers on this forum.
I attended a mini Do in YWG when he stopped overnight in the Peg.
Haha I even looked up the post ! It was Oct 2005

​​​​​​
Old Jan 4, 2018, 8:28 am

Programs: It's hard to get status when the website won't let me book flights.
Didn't this happen a long long time ago?? Like years and years ago? I remember hearing about it like 4 years ago.
Old Jan 4, 2018, 8:31 am

Programs: AC E75K, Amex Plat, NEXUS, Aman-user (not really a -junkie)
Originally Posted by Sean Peever
Didn't this happen a long long time ago?? Like years and years ago? I remember hearing about it like 4 years ago.
2012-2013 but sentencing just happened.
Old Jan 4, 2018, 9:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

So he moved from Cargolux to CX apparently.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.