CX pilot scams $36k from AC

Old Jan 9, 2018, 12:01 pm

Programs: Aeroplan; PriorityClub
Originally Posted by Mozzarella
Yup!
Good to meet you, 12+ years later. You and I were the only ones that never crossed paths.
For anyone looking on and is not familiar with the GCMR (Great Canadian Mileage Run), here is a summary.
AC issued an Unlimited North America Pass, good for the 61 days of October and November 2005. You could go anywhere in North America that Air Canada flew for $6999 + GST, with no extra taxes or fees. Upgradable. It was probably intended to develop business with business travellers. Four of us FTers realized its potential and, if we didn't have it, achieved Super Elite status in the first month and then just kept flying until our azzes froze.

Some people say that we shouldn't have talked about it because it alerted AC. As if AC Revenue Accounting wouldn't have calculated that this fare was a loser for them. These people are wrong. Other airlines, like UA, cut their sector awards. In early 2007, AC issued another unlimited pass for North America, but they capped the points at 2000 total.
This is not the most exploitable fare that ever happened. I took part in another one. In Sept. 1979, Eastern Airlines (EA) issued a system-wide Unlimited Mileage Pass for $299 + $3 tax. Reward points had not been invented then, but so what?! Me and lady friend took a 10 day trip SEA-xATL-GUA-xATL-JFK-ANU-MIA-SEA.
Mozzarella likes this.
Old Jan 9, 2018, 12:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE 2MM; UA MP Premier Silver; Marriott Bonvoy LT Titanium Elite; Radisson; Avis PC
GCMR thread and Blog

FT thread: The Blog for the GCMR2005

Blog: Marc Tacchi - The Great Canadian Mileage Run 2005 1 Unlimited Flight Pass * 61 Days * 1,000,000+ miles
jc94 likes this.
Old Jan 9, 2018, 12:23 pm
Original Member

Originally Posted by CZAMFlyer
See rationalization analogy above. The Robin Hood tale is a romantic one, but knowingly stealing from or defrauding a powerful entity is still theft & fraud.
Not rationalizing; just curious as to how someone who would never rob a bank or even stiff a taxi driver would decide it's OK to scam an airline.

I suspect the answer is that if you offered up a vote favouring the airline or the "scammer" the airline would lose.

Originally Posted by CZAMFlyer
"The person I knew was exceedingly charming to those from whom he could gain something (status, information, influence/advancement, material goods), and decidedly less charitable to those who had nothing to offer that appealed to him."
Then I guess that makes you the exception.

Originally Posted by tracon
Con men always seem nice.

Most of the miles he earned from the GCMR were not from flying, but from submitting boarding passes using OLCI.
Hadn't noticed this previously, but it is a complete fabrication.

Last edited by tcook052; Jan 9, 2018 at 3:55 pm Reason: merge posts
Old Jan 9, 2018, 12:38 pm

Programs: Bottom feeder Star Gold
Originally Posted by KenHamer
Then I guess that makes you the exception.
Perhaps it does, among the tiny circle of FlyerTalkers that populated the AC forum back in the early 2000s.
There are two groups of people in aviation to which our protagonist belonged: those who are frequent flyers, and those who frequently do the flying. Those of us in the latter group shared a remarkably common opinion.
Old Jan 9, 2018, 1:34 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: HH Silver
Another reminder that past MR's are not the topic of this thread and further posts in the same vein will be deleted.

tcook052
AC Mod.

Last edited by tcook052; Jan 9, 2018 at 3:57 pm
Old Jan 10, 2018, 3:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by taupo

Marc is a good person, who's compass needed realigning and looks as though that has happened.

If the people here who know me such as Ken, YYZNomad, Shareholder, YSB, Parnel, Cattle and such want to call me, then know how.

Please remember that we use usernames here to protect anonymity, please respect that.
In one of my visits to the Okanagan ,specifically YYF, you offered up your personal vehicle parked at YYF,no questions asked.
There are some very long friendships that have been formed because of FT and AC
As you note ,taupo, Marc has likely realigned himself.
We can all learn from others mistakes.
airbus320 and Mozzarella like this.
Old Jan 13, 2018, 4:12 pm

Programs: Delta/Hyatt/Hilton DM, Marriott Plat
A long and interesting read for a newbie.

Is listing ticket value and FF mile reward in the evidence a double count by AC? As FF mile reward is part of ticket value.
Old Jan 13, 2018, 4:35 pm
Original Member

Given that lower fares earn fewer points there's a strong case that argument.

I also note that Air Canada seems to have assigned a cash value to points.
Old Jan 13, 2018, 9:32 pm

Originally Posted by Mozzarella
I agree. I sat next to Marc on several flights including YYZ/YVR and YVR/YYJ plus met him in the MLL on numerous occasions when I was doing the GCMR as well. My sense that all of his miles were BIS travel because I saw no evidence to the contrary.
As someone who did 230,000 miles in those two months, I can count on one hand the number of times I saw him.
And that's not because we were on opposing Dash 8's over Active Pass.
AC knew what Marc was doing, or not doing. They were happy to receive the free publicity so they let him continue.
His downfall came because he and other FTers were caught selling their points.
One of their "customers" called, AE to make a change. The "customer" wasn't happy being told changes weren't free.
The alert agent ran it up the food chain and corporate security got involved.
The rest is history.
Like him if you want, but he directly and indirectly f'd me out of close to $20K.
Consider yourselves warned.
Old Jan 13, 2018, 9:51 pm
Original Member

As someone who did 230,000 miles in those two months, I can count on one hand the number of times I saw him.
And that's not because we were on opposing Dash 8's over Active Pass.
AC knew what Marc was doing, or not doing. They were happy to receive the free publicity so they let him continue.
His downfall came because he and other FTers were caught selling their points.
One of their "customers" called, AE to make a change. The "customer" wasn't happy being told changes weren't free.
The alert agent ran it up the food chain and corporate security got involved.
The rest is history.
Like him if you want, but he directly and indirectly f'd me out of close to $20K.
Consider yourselves warned.
Huh?

Because you couldn't sell your points?

And if it was "he and others" how is it him alone that precluded you making money from something that was already prohibited?
Old Jan 13, 2018, 10:29 pm

I've never had an interest in selling my points.
Old Jan 13, 2018, 11:26 pm
Moderator, Air Canada; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE MM, FB Plat, WS Plat, BA Silver, DL GM, Marriott Plat, Hilton Gold, Accor Silver
Originally Posted by KenHamer
I also note that Air Canada seems to have assigned a cash value to points.
Why is this noteworthy? AC spun off Aeroplan long before this. It pays AE cash for the points. As I pointed out upthread, it's likely that the dollar value of points cited by AC is not some sort of opportunity cost based on the value that Tacchi derived from them. It's likely simply the cash that AC paid AE for the points.
Old Jan 13, 2018, 11:37 pm

Originally Posted by Adam Smith
Why is this noteworthy? AC spun off Aeroplan long before this. It pays AE cash for the points. As I pointed out upthread, it's likely that the dollar value of points cited by AC is not some sort of opportunity cost based on the value that Tacchi derived from them. It's likely simply the cash that AC paid AE for the points.
Its noteworthy because the assumption made all these years was that the relations between the airline partners and AP weren't of cash, but rather were of barter with notional amounts based on a specific fraction of a full-Y fares being computed for the tally of such. With awards availability being the mechanism that was used to throttle imbalances between redemptions and points paid out. As evidenced by the different inventories AP customers have access to on Star Alliance airlines compared to access allowed to members of other Star Alliance FFPs.

FWIW, when I dealt with TD recently on a matter of 15,000 missing AP points not credited to my account arising from signing up for one of their cards, they gave me $200 in cash.

Last edited by pitz; Jan 13, 2018 at 11:42 pm
Old Jan 14, 2018, 12:53 am
Original Member

I've never had an interest in selling my points.
If you're going to claim someone cost you $20,000 without providing even a scintilla of evidence then I don't think it's Tacchi one should be warned about.
Admiral Ackbar likes this.
Old Jan 14, 2018, 4:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Another FT'er bites the dust of self-inflicted wounds. Good for the defendant that the judge showed empathy and that AC has shown restraint. Sadly, I don't think this is the end of it for the defendant, considering their profession. Carry on !

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.