CX pilot scams $36k from AC

Old Jan 4, 2018, 10:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC*SE 2MM
I thought that Marc would not have needed to do this because he would have still been burning off the AE miles he had accumulated during his unlimited flying days.
Old Jan 4, 2018, 10:48 am

to be honest this article just made "to read" during tea time today.
Old Jan 4, 2018, 11:13 am

Originally Posted by keitherson
That sounds like what Lucky did, from OMAAT. He reused voucher codes and cycled through them. I'm surprised CX guy didn't try to settle with AC and went to court. What an idiot.
Curious on some more details on this? They were vouchers that for some reason were used but never depleted/expired? How were the vouchers obtained?
Old Jan 4, 2018, 11:14 am

Programs: FOTSG Tangerine Ex E35k (AC)
Before my time it seems.

But to summarize; this guy somehow (presumably from a friend) got a code that allowed him to pretend his flights were taken for mystery shopping purposes and booked them for free or got a full refund. AC's IT is obviously incapable of doing any kind of validation before providing someone with $36,500 worth of free flights, but someone finally picked up on it and instead of paying them... the guy went to court and now has to pay them back and do community service and other undefined stuff.

I'm not saying he was in the right; but when I have a website that gives people free stuff for a code we employ certain validation to try and prevent abuse.
I'd also assume the person who provided this code (which, in reality I would assume was a unique code per person to be able to track this but ... it's Air Canada) is culpable for violating some kind of agreement.
Old Jan 4, 2018, 11:33 am

Originally Posted by jc94
Before my time it seems.

But to summarize; this guy somehow (presumably from a friend) got a code that allowed him to pretend his flights were taken for mystery shopping purposes and booked them for free or got a full refund. AC's IT is obviously incapable of doing any kind of validation before providing someone with $36,500 worth of free flights, but someone finally picked up on it and instead of paying them... the guy went to court and now has to pay them back and do community service and other undefined stuff.

I'm not saying he was in the right; but when I have a website that gives people free stuff for a code we employ certain validation to try and prevent abuse.
I'd also assume the person who provided this code (which, in reality I would assume was a unique code per person to be able to track this but ... it's Air Canada) is culpable for violating some kind of agreement.
I was talking about "Lucky" from OMMAT or are they one in the same?

As a past avid Fatwallet'er, tons of people have scored big over the years on coupon code goofs... can't recall anyone being prosecuted or ordered to repay...
Old Jan 4, 2018, 11:40 am

Programs: Bottom feeder Star Gold
Marc was one of the folks that couldn't contain himself in terms of sharing how he gamed the system. I flew in the same company as him many years ago and there was always...always...a game afoot, and a seeming compulsion to boast about it.

The Great Cdn Mileage Run so many years ago could be considered by some to be the forefront of a spiralling contest to prove to other forum members how clever you are, with the unintended blowback effect of alerting the airline in the process. Consensus is that the GCMR blog was the catalyst for AC/AP to eliminate the minimum 500 miles per segment feature (500 miles accrued in 15 minutes btw YVR and YCD in this case). Once it was published in the media - and Marc could not resist the attention - it was all over.

Same story for hidden city fares and hat dance boasting but that was primarily others.

The defendant got off very lightly here.
Old Jan 4, 2018, 11:48 am

Originally Posted by keitherson
That sounds like what Lucky did, from OMAAT. He reused voucher codes and cycled through them. I'm surprised CX guy didn't try to settle with AC and went to court. What an idiot.
Civil settlement with AC is one thing - criminal fraud charge is between him and the Crown.
Old Jan 4, 2018, 11:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: HH Diamond, Marriott Gold, IHG Gold, Hyatt something
Ah, I remember him. I think he even flew me on a KA KTM flight about 7 years ago. Always seemed nice to me.
Old Jan 4, 2018, 2:26 pm

Lightbulb

Originally Posted by Jaimito Cartero
Ah, I remember him. I think he even flew me on a KA KTM flight about 7 years ago. Always seemed nice to me.

Con men always seem nice.

Most of the miles he earned from the GCMR were not from flying, but from submitting boarding passes using OLCI.
Old Jan 4, 2018, 2:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: HH Diamond, Marriott Gold, IHG Gold, Hyatt something
Originally Posted by tracon
Con men always seem nice.

Most of the miles he earned from the GCMR were not from flying, but from submitting boarding passes using OLCI.
Seems a pretty small amount for a con man. I recall lots of FT threads with people dumpster diving for cups. I know Ive picked up NWA discount certs that were handed out to all customers, that many people just abandoned on airports seats after they started boarding.
Old Jan 4, 2018, 2:54 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: HH Silver
Originally Posted by Jaimito Cartero
I recall lots of FT threads with people dumpster diving for cups. I know Ive picked up NWA discount certs that were handed out to all customers, that many people just abandoned on airports seats after they started boarding.
There's quite a bit of difference between taking something others don't want and have discarded and using a fake name and fake address to obtain something they aren't entitled to.
Admiral Ackbar, jc94 and WorldLux like this.
Old Jan 4, 2018, 8:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by CZAMFlyer
Marc was one of the folks that couldn't contain himself in terms of sharing how he gamed the system. I flew in the same company as him many years ago and there was always...always...a game afoot, and a seeming compulsion to boast about it.

The Great Cdn Mileage Run so many years ago could be considered by some to be the forefront of a spiralling contest to prove to other forum members how clever you are, with the unintended blowback effect of alerting the airline in the process. Consensus is that the GCMR blog was the catalyst for AC/AP to eliminate the minimum 500 miles per segment feature (500 miles accrued in 15 minutes btw YVR and YCD in this case). Once it was published in the media - and Marc could not resist the attention - it was all over.

Same story for hidden city fares and hat dance boasting but that was primarily others.

Yup. He was picked up by a lot of media, including CBC's As it Happens. He loved it and came on here to brag about it afterwards.

I think many would argue that it was his actions on the GCMR that also screwed the flight passes moving forward (limitations on number of status miles earned and days of the week one could fly on winter passes the following year, etc). If he had done this without bragging about it, I imagine the flight passes wouldn't have changed for at least another year.

I agree he got off pretty lightly. And given what has come out, I'm surprised he's still employed by his current employer and has restricted airside access.
Old Jan 4, 2018, 9:14 pm
Moderator, Air Canada; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE MM, FB Plat, WS Plat, BA Silver, DL GM, Marriott Plat, Hilton Gold, Accor Silver
Originally Posted by xray
Originally Posted by Sean Peever
Didn't this happen a long long time ago?? Like years and years ago? I remember hearing about it like 4 years ago.
2012-2013 but sentencing just happened.
I believe he was out of the country and out of the RCMP's reach for the past few years.

Originally Posted by jc94
Clearly AC's systems were inadequate. That doesn't mean that what Tacchi isn't wrong and criminally so. There's no way something like this can be passed off as innocently taking advantage of a minor system flaw; someone like him would clearly have known that what he was doing was wrong.

As for the accomplice, he was also prosecuted. From the decision: "Mr. Hunt received a 9 month conditional sentence order for his frauds in Ontario, the total value of which exceeded $90,000.00."

Consensus is that the GCMR blog was the catalyst for AC/AP to eliminate the minimum 500 miles per segment feature (500 miles accrued in 15 minutes btw YVR and YCD in this case).
I believe what you're thinking of is flight-based mileage accumulation for UFPs. The 500-mile minimum was only reduced to 250 a couple of years ago, about 10 years after the GCMR.

On that, I agree.

Originally Posted by robsaw
Civil settlement with AC is one thing - criminal fraud charge is between him and the Crown.
Had he settled quickly with AC, AC may not have involved law enforcement authorities. It's possible that AC felt that this was so outrageous that it needed to be dealt with criminally regardless, but that's usually not how these things work.
jc94 likes this.
Old Jan 4, 2018, 9:37 pm

Programs: Bottom feeder Star Gold
Originally Posted by YOWkid
I agree he got off pretty lightly. And given what has come out, I'm surprised he's still employed by his current employer and has restricted airside access.
Given that the judgement has just emerged, perhaps an adjustment in employment status might be imminent.
Old Jan 4, 2018, 9:42 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Ice Cream Club, AC SE MM, Bonvoy Life Plat
Originally Posted by tcook052
There's quite a bit of difference between taking something others don't want and have discarded and using a fake name and fake address to obtain something they aren't entitled to.
Others wanted these seats? I hear eUp rates are fairly good... =P

I still find it interesting that AC has obviously furnished Aeroplan mile "valuation" for purposes of sentencing. A few upthread picked up on this too.

Given that the judgement has just emerged, perhaps an adjustment in employment status might be imminent.
I doubt this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.