Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Question about passenger rights, if any, after a flight cancellation

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 2, 2018, 5:29 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Nexus/GE, UA/MPG, Bonvoy Tit, LTP

I have a question about passenger rights, if any, after a flight cancellation. My son was flying YQR-YVR-YYJ today on an award ticket from my wife's AP account. He is returning to university after the holidays. It seems his last segment was cancelled due to mechanical problems and all other flights were fully booked. He was offered taxi fare to the ferry or a flight tomorrow but nothing else. No offer of hotel accommodation etc Somehow that doesn't seem right to me. He was also categorically told that they would not pay for the ferry ( only $16 apparently but that's not the point). He has a customer service number to call tomorrow . I have searched but cannot find anything to advise him so would appreciate any advice as to what he is entitled to, if anything. I would have thought at least the ferry fare or reimbursement of points for the segment not provided but maybe I'm being unreasonable. Thanks in advance and any help appreciated.
Old Jan 2, 2018, 5:40 pm

Programs: *$ Green
Originally Posted by Fizzer
I have a question about passenger rights, if any, after a flight cancellation. My son was flying YQR-YVR-YYJ today on an award ticket from my wife's AP account. He is returning to university after the holidays. It seems his last segment was cancelled due to mechanical problems and all other flights were fully booked. He was offered taxi fare to the ferry or a flight tomorrow but nothing else. No offer of hotel accommodation etc Somehow that doesn't seem right to me. He was also categorically told that they would not pay for the ferry ( only $16 apparently but that's not the point). He has a customer service number to call tomorrow . I have searched but cannot find anything to advise him so would appreciate any advice as to what he is entitled to, if anything. I would have thought at least the ferry fare or reimbursement of points for the segment not provided but maybe I'm being unreasonable. Thanks in advance and any help appreciated.
You can get a partial refund for the unused portion. Use the refund services form on the website and choose "My flight was cancelled".

I don't think AC has a customer service line, but I am sure you can try to make a claim with their Customer Relations for a 0.00001% discount on future flight code.

I was under the impression that AC provides hotel to connecting passengers stranded at their connecting point when there's a mechanical delay. Was that asked?
Old Jan 2, 2018, 5:58 pm
Original Poster

Thanks for your reply. He didn't ask because he didn't know that it might have been an option but he says he was told that he would be flown out tomorrow or could take a taxi to the ferry. He is a post grad student and has a class scheduled as a TA tomorrow so he felt he had to get back. To that extent I guess the hotel issue is moot . although he was clear that it was never offered as an option. I have since found the AC Tariff and was frankly surprised at how little AC is obliged to do except ex EU. I think he's just happy he'll get back in time to teach his tutorial. We are not after compensation TBH but was more interested in what he might/ might not be entitled to before he calls them tomorrow. I guess I was most surprised that they wouldn't pay the $16 for a Ferry ticket, again more on principle than due to cost. Thanks again.
Old Jan 2, 2018, 6:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by SparseFlyer
You can get a partial refund for the unused portion. Use the refund services form on the website and choose "My flight was cancelled".

I don't think AC has a customer service line, but I am sure you can try to make a claim with their Customer Relations for a 0.00001% discount on future flight code.

I was under the impression that AC provides hotel to connecting passengers stranded at their connecting point when there's a mechanical delay. Was that asked?
OP said this was an Aeroplan ticket. So since the miles to VVR and YYJ are the same there are no miles to claim back.

As to hotel, they sure used to. But on Aeroplan tickets nowadays, who knows. All requirements were taken out of the tariffs for rewards and I believe the CTA has rules that Aeroplan tickets is outside of their jurisdiction. Still whether no hotel is policy or just an agent making his/her own rule, who knows. Might be worth making a complain, which at the very least would provide a degree of clarity.

If the answer is that no, no hotel, then only recourse would be the courts, not worth it except to make a point. Which I wish someone would.
eracerblue likes this.
Old Jan 2, 2018, 6:03 pm
Original Poster

Thanks. I will tell him to ask for the ferry ticket reimbursement and not to be surprised if they say no. Thanks again.
Old Jan 2, 2018, 6:07 pm

Programs: AC-SE100K MM, BA-S HH-D, MB-G LT Sil, IHG-Plt, Nexus, Global Entry
Originally Posted by Fizzer
Thanks. I will tell him to ask for the ferry ticket reimbursement and not to be surprised if they say no. Thanks again.
What about taxi fare at the other end? IIRC, the ferry terminal on the YYJ side is not exactly in YYJ.
--
13F
Old Jan 2, 2018, 11:30 pm

Programs: *$ Green
Originally Posted by Stranger
OP said this was an Aeroplan ticket. So since the miles to VVR and YYJ are the same there are no miles to claim back.

As to hotel, they sure used to. But on Aeroplan tickets nowadays, who knows. All requirements were taken out of the tariffs for rewards and I believe the CTA has rules that Aeroplan tickets is outside of their jurisdiction. Still whether no hotel is policy or just an agent making his/her own rule, who knows. Might be worth making a complain, which at the very least would provide a degree of clarity.

If the answer is that no, no hotel, then only recourse would be the courts, not worth it except to make a point. Which I wish someone would.
Oh is that so? I would assume some kind of refund would be eligible, but I guess it may be different for Aeroplan tickets.

Same way that if you were booked LHR-YUL-YOW, IRROPS'ed in YUL, and drive to YOW. You could still get a partial refund for YULYOW (maybe small but) even if the fare was the same as for LHRYUL.

Sucks to be a reward ticket user I guess.
Old Jan 3, 2018, 4:31 am

Programs: Aeroplan
Check the recent thread about people stuck in transit in YYT due to weather. No hotels were offered there either. Not a lot of sympathy was offered on this board, but that is not important.
Old Jan 3, 2018, 5:25 am
Original Member

I suspect your/his best recourse is snall claims court, to recover all of your out of pocket costs.

But of course Air Canada is counting on the cost and inconvenience of that to prevent you from doing so.
Old Jan 3, 2018, 6:13 am

Programs: FOTSG Tangerine Ex E35k (AC)
Originally Posted by smallmj
Check the recent thread about people stuck in transit in YYT due to weather. No hotels were offered there either. Not a lot of sympathy was offered on this board, but that is not important.
While similar, that was based on weather and not a mechanical issue. It seems even mechanical issues may now result in being told to go away by AC while in transit without OMW.
Old Jan 3, 2018, 8:31 am
Original Poster

That was my take too. Had it been weather I would have understood but this was mechanical. I guess we should have been grateful that a shared taxi ride to the ferry was offered. As for the distance from the ferry to the airport I don't know the area. If and when I hear back from him I'll post AC's response.
Old Jan 3, 2018, 8:37 am

Programs: Aeroplan
Originally Posted by jc94
While similar, that was based on weather and not a mechanical issue. It seems even mechanical issues may now result in being told to go away by AC while in transit without OMW.
Oops, by the time I read the whole thread I forgot that it was a mechanical not a weather cancellation. There have been so many weather issues in the last week that I made a bad assumption. Do people still say "my bad?"

I agree, it is not quite the same. Just eerily similar.
Old Jan 3, 2018, 8:50 am

Programs: AC 75K
The official policy is here:

https://www.aircanada.com/ca/en/aco/...ellations.html

The important part:

"If your Air Canada, Air Canada Rouge or Air Canada Express flight* is cancelled, our agents will do everything possible to assist you. In an effort to accommodate your travel plans, we will:
  • Rebook you:
    • on the next available Air Canada, Air Canada Rouge or Air Canada Express flight (in the cabin you originally purchased) within 7 days of your original travel date - we can also change your return to match the same length of stay if necessary; or
    • on a flight with another airline with which Air Canada has an agreement for such transportation, if circumstances permit.
    • with Via Rail when a train segment matching your itinerary is available, as per the Air Canada/VIA Rail reprotection agreement.
  • If the next available flight doesn't depart until the next day, provide certain expenses to eligible customers when a flight is cancelled due to reasons within Air Canada's control. Please check with an airport agent to see if you qualify for meal vouchers, hotel accommodation and transportation to and from the airport."
Not sure if offering the ferry is AC's way to get out of offering a hotel. I know it's a bit late now, but when looking at the Jan 2 YVR-YYJ flights, only 1 after the cancelled flight showed as full, the rest (according to the app) has seats available.

Also check Rule 80 here: https://www.aircanada.com/content/da..._tariff_en.pdf
skybluesea likes this.
Old Jan 3, 2018, 9:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by ChrisA330
The official policy is here:

https://www.aircanada.com/ca/en/aco/...ellations.html

The important part:

"If your Air Canada, Air Canada Rouge or Air Canada Express flight* is cancelled, our agents will do everything possible to assist you. In an effort to accommodate your travel plans, we will:
  • Rebook you:
    • on the next available Air Canada, Air Canada Rouge or Air Canada Express flight (in the cabin you originally purchased) within 7 days of your original travel date - we can also change your return to match the same length of stay if necessary; or
    • on a flight with another airline with which Air Canada has an agreement for such transportation, if circumstances permit.
    • with Via Rail when a train segment matching your itinerary is available, as per the Air Canada/VIA Rail reprotection agreement.
  • If the next available flight doesn't depart until the next day, provide certain expenses to eligible customers when a flight is cancelled due to reasons within Air Canada's control. Please check with an airport agent to see if you qualify for meal vouchers, hotel accommodation and transportation to and from the airport."
Not sure if offering the ferry is AC's way to get out of offering a hotel. I know it's a bit late now, but when looking at the Jan 2 YVR-YYJ flights, only 1 after the cancelled flight showed as full, the rest (according to the app) has seats available.

Also check Rule 80 here: https://www.aircanada.com/content/da..._tariff_en.pdf
That's for revenue tickets. However:

B. Gratuitous carriageWith respect to gratuitous carriage, the Carrier reserves the right to exclude the application of all or any part of this tariff.

What it means, I am not sure. But I seem to recall that the CTA has ruled that rewards are outside their jurisdiction.
Old Jan 3, 2018, 10:16 am

Programs: AC 75K
Originally Posted by Stranger
That's for revenue tickets. However:

What it means, I am not sure. But I seem to recall that the CTA has ruled that rewards are outside their jurisdiction.
The CTA has ruled that Aeroplan as a company is outside their jurisdiction, so they will not rule on complaints against Aeroplan and their program T&C's.

That isn't the same as the CTA enforcing the airline tariffs on Aeroplan tickets.

As for what "Gratuitous Travel" means - it's not a defined term in the Tariffs, so who knows.
skybluesea likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.