FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Air Canada | Aeroplan (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/air-canada-aeroplan-375/)
-   -   Upgraded flight delay, possibility to change flight while keeping the upgrade? (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/air-canada-aeroplan/1885621-upgraded-flight-delay-possibility-change-flight-while-keeping-upgrade.html)

Jumper Jack Jan 1, 2018 11:10 am

Upgraded flight delay, possibility to change flight while keeping the upgrade?

I will be flying on AC107 on Jan 3rd, and for the last 11 days... it managed to arrive in YVR on time only once. On most days the flight will delay well over one hour.
What are my options in this case, I don't want to miss my first class of the year but I don't want to lose the upgrade either.

Q1: If AC delays the flight on the day of, if I move to an earlier flight, do I lose the upgrade if R=0 and J >= 1?
Q2: It also extremely likely that AC will allow rebooking free of charge on the day of but do I also lose my upgrade in the process?

My upgrade is already confirmed and I am looking to taking the 8AM depature instead given the fact that AC 107 OTA rate is literal dog poop.

BlondeBomber Jan 1, 2018 11:21 am

AC103 at 8 is same aircraft type (77W) showing
J9 C9 D7 Z6 P6 R3 O9 E9 N6 Y9 B9 M9
U9 H9 Q8 V0 W0 G0 S0 T0 L0 A0 K0
789 at 7 am AC101
Showing J9 C9 D9 Z9 P8 R5 O9 E9 N9 Y9 B9 M9
U9 H9 Q7 V1 W0 G0 S0 T0 L0 A0 K0
so looks like you should be ok. Of course if you are really worried about making your class;), you could just pay change fee now (since you likely would have to anyway but sometimes they will accommodate if your other flight is significant delayed and they already know it) and guarantee you are on the flight of your choosing since R space is available with the most comfortable seats.

skybluesea Jan 1, 2018 11:28 am

Originally Posted by BlondeBomber (Post 29236510)
so looks like you should be ok.

OP, be very careful with this statement- with current WX all kinds if circumstances could drive big change in paid biz to other flights, and you may then NOT be OK.

plan accordingly

Jumper Jack Jan 1, 2018 11:38 am

So if I pay $75 to change I might be bumped back to Y because paid J want to SDC?

RangerNS Jan 1, 2018 11:44 am

If you have an hour, call in and ask. See if an all-or-nothing change is possible.

Only going to a syllabus during the first class, anyway.

Diabeetus Jan 1, 2018 2:13 pm

In the past I've managed to SDC flights for $75 and keep my upgrade. Definitely confirm with the agent first though.

Jumper Jack Jan 1, 2018 2:59 pm

I am ready to pull the trigger but just want to see if some one with J fare SDC to a different flight with J0, would AC bump a confirmed eup back to Y(seems wrong tbh).
And if AC does such things, how would they proceed?(Do they go by status or time of upgrade confirmation?)

Adam Smith Jan 1, 2018 6:19 pm

If your upgrade has been confirmed in advance, the circumstances in which you could be downgraded are minute: last-minute aircraft swap, deadheading captain needing a seat, maybe one or two others.

It's highly unlikely you'll pay the $75 and then get downgraded.

quantumofforce Jan 1, 2018 6:35 pm

Originally Posted by RangerNS (Post 29236580)
Only going to a syllabus during the first class, anyway.

If you miss class, you miss class. Go to the professors office, explain due to flight delays you were late. Get to *know* the professor one on one and ask if there were any important details you missed and if you could get any material handed out or copies of slides.

Life happens, flights are delayed, learn to work around it for future real world work. Think of this as practice of dealing with a client meeting you missed. Don't sweat it!

longtimeflyin Jan 1, 2018 6:47 pm

Originally Posted by quantumofforce (Post 29237730)
If you miss class, you miss class. Go to the professors office, explain due to flight delays you were late. Get to *know* the professor one on one and ask if there were any important details you missed and if you could get any material handed out or copies of slides.

Life happens, flights are delayed, learn to work around it for future real world work. Think of this as practice of dealing with a client meeting you missed. Don't sweat it!

You took the words out of my mouth.

Back to topic at hand:

If you have a confirmed upgrade to J, you can very well pay a SDC on the day of travel and confirm yourself if J is positive. (J to J)

I know there are many different experiences on this and I'm not certain what the official policy is, but I have done this several times.

YEG_SE4Life Jan 1, 2018 7:11 pm

Originally Posted by Jumper Jack (Post 29236481)
My upgrade is already confirmed and I am looking to taking the 8AM depature instead given the fact that AC 107 OTA rate is literal dog poop.

Has the definition of literal changed?

SparseFlyer Jan 1, 2018 7:20 pm

Are you gift eUpping the flight?

When you are in confirmed R, any IRROPS can be done directly to J.

In fact, if there's a travel alert on the website, you can switch to any flight free of charge as long as J1.

longtimeflyin Jan 1, 2018 7:22 pm

Originally Posted by SparseFlyer (Post 29237840)
Are you gift eUpping the flight?

What does this have anything to do with Jack's question?

SparseFlyer Jan 1, 2018 7:30 pm

Originally Posted by longtimeflyin (Post 29237843)
What does this have anything to do with Jack's question?

It has everything to do with everything in life. Including you.

yyznomad Jan 1, 2018 7:44 pm

Originally Posted by SparseFlyer (Post 29237861)
It has everything to do with everything in life. Including you.

:D

Jumper Jack Jan 1, 2018 7:54 pm

Thank you all for your help!

So here's what happened.
First Agent said I could change for free and gives me the inventory count, I decided to call back later and decide then.
Second agent insisted upon charging me change fee plus fare difference, I had to direct him to go through the weather alert and he finally admitted I was right.... sometimes its things like this I really doubt how much training these guys get... if I didnt stood my ground I prob would miss the class.

Despite AC releasing the alart for Jan 3 at YYZ, I still needed R space to switch, if all I needed was J I would have taken the AC33 the night before.....

In the end I switched to AC103 and looks like its omelette again.. sigh.................

SparseFlyer Jan 1, 2018 7:56 pm

Originally Posted by Jumper Jack (Post 29237918)

So here's what happened.
First Agent said I could change for free, I decided to call back later and decide then.
Second agent insisted upon charging me change fee plus fare difference, I had to direct him to go through the weather alert and he finally admitted I was right.

Despite AC releasing the alart for Jan 3 at YYZ, I still needed R space, if all I needed was J I would have taken the AC33 the night before.....

In the end I switched to AC103 and looks like its omelette again.. sigh.................

That's not right. You don't NEED R space. It's any J1 flight. Is the rebooking tool online not working?

Sorry. I forgot. As per yyznomad, everything requires R space when calling AC lmao

Jumper Jack Jan 1, 2018 7:57 pm

Originally Posted by SparseFlyer (Post 29237926)
That's not right. You don't NEED R space. It's any J1 flight. Is the rebooking tool online not working?

Given the dumpster fire known as AC IT... I didnt want to risk losing my upgrade. If agent shet the bed I atleast have some1 to blame....

yyznomad Jan 1, 2018 7:57 pm

Originally Posted by Jumper Jack (Post 29237918)

So here's what happened.
First Agent said I could change for free and gives me the inventory count, I decided to call back later and decide then.
Second agent insisted upon charging me change fee plus fare difference, I had to direct him to go through the weather alert and he finally admitted I was right.... sometimes its things like this I really doubt how much training these guys get... if I didnt stood my ground I prob would miss the class.

Despite AC releasing the alart for Jan 3 at YYZ, I still needed R space to switch, if all I needed was J I would have taken the AC33 the night before.....

SparseFlyer is correct.

you do not need R. I've done this sort of thing several times and just needed J1.

the bloody call centre agents are so bloody fixated on R.

Jumper Jack Jan 1, 2018 7:59 pm

Originally Posted by yyznomad (Post 29237934)

SparseFlyer is correct.

Wait... so I could have taken the AC33 the night before? Sigh.......
God dammit AC

Jumper Jack Jan 1, 2018 8:02 pm

K now I am actually triggered. I didnt spent 30 mins waiting on the E50K line, only to be fed with BS yet again.

SparseFlyer Jan 1, 2018 8:05 pm

Originally Posted by Jumper Jack (Post 29237936)
God dammit AC

Just call back and re do it.

Dont say "lolz free flat bed bro no R doit yolo plz kkthx".

Just explain you have some schedule issues and need that specific flight.

If the agent says no, just ask them if it's possible to review their "Anticipated Flight Cancellation" policy to confirm that R space can be rebooked up to J.

You have to walk them through it like when doing Latitude eUp.

SparseFlyer Jan 1, 2018 8:07 pm

Originally Posted by Jumper Jack (Post 29237942)
K now I am actually triggered. I didnt spent 30 mins waiting on the E50K line, only to be fed with BS yet again.

Don't be triggered. Have to play the game.

In the end, the policy shouldn't be used to do this kind of change. It's really to help passengers rebook so they dont get ....ed by weather and not to get lie flat bed.

yyznomad Jan 1, 2018 8:07 pm

Originally Posted by SparseFlyer (Post 29237949)
Just call back and re do it.

Dont say "lolz free flat bed bro no R doit yolo plz kkthx".

Just explain you have some schedule issues and need that specific flight.

If the agent says no, just ask them if it's possible to review their "Anticipated Flight Cancellation" policy to confirm that R space can be rebooked up to J.

You have to walk them through it like when doing Latitude eUp.

Also, @Jumper Jack, my advice is not to send the AC call center agent a meme of your thoughts. Their jobs are already tough enough as it is.

Jumper Jack Jan 1, 2018 8:14 pm

Its fine, I will just stick with what I have now

MaxFlying Jan 1, 2018 8:23 pm

Beach digit...

falabd Jan 1, 2018 8:23 pm

If you have a bit of time , you better call in and ask.
See if an all-or-nothing change is possible.

yyznomad Jan 1, 2018 8:27 pm

Originally Posted by MaxFlying (Post 29238017)
Beach digit...

LOL! Totally.

longtimeflyin Jan 2, 2018 5:19 am

Originally Posted by Jumper Jack (Post 29237936)
God dammit AC

How so? I presume due to the weather alert this is possible but if not a SDC means just that. Same day.

Jumper Jack Jan 3, 2018 6:24 am

Looks like I bamboozled myself again. Delayed to 9:30 Departure.
It would be funny if they delay it by another hour and AC107 departed on time lol.

jc94 Jan 3, 2018 6:34 am

Originally Posted by SparseFlyer (Post 29237959)
Don't be triggered. Have to play the game.

In the end, the policy shouldn't be used to do this kind of change. It's really to help passengers rebook so they dont get ....ed by weather and not to get lie flat bed.

Isnt the main purpose of Jacks request due to AC107 arriving late (91%) very often due, one assumes, to weather though?

Or are there non weather reasons ACs planes can’t arriving within an hour of schedule in these TCONs?
And no, I’m not assuming WS arrives on time ;)

Jumper Jack Jan 3, 2018 6:37 am

Originally Posted by jc94 (Post 29243983)

Isnt the main purpose of Jacks request due to AC107 arriving late (91%) very often due, one assumes, to weather though?

Or are there non weather reasons ACs planes can’t arriving within an hour of schedule in these TCONs?
And no, I’m not assuming WS arrives on time ;)

Well even with 103 delayed by 90 mins I would still make my class... so I guess it build in some cushions. But the omelette though ugh
Though gotta admit its a little tight for me now :(

Jumper Jack Jan 3, 2018 7:37 am

Our FO just rolled in... I can see the AC107 from my window so we might land at the same time lol.

McScruffy Sep 4, 2018 7:16 pm

I'm going through a similar situation where I'm flying AC112 tomorrow and got a notification of a 2h delay. I called the concierge and asked to be put on an earlier flight that showed J space based on the AC app, but was told they would have to check to see if anyone else was on the upgrade list (the AC app shows nobody on the list) and they would have to do it via manual manipulation. I asked why in the past when upgraded to J and changing flights due to a posted delay was never an issue and was told it's different when using e-upgrades (I don't believe it).

I'm now waiting for an email confirmation but might call back in later so see if the concierge was able to do what I feel they should have been able to do easily.

RangerNS Sep 4, 2018 7:36 pm

Mysterious ways of Revenue Management at hand.

You got an upgrade into an unsellable seat, @McScruffy. It is conceivable that someone on your flight is so willing to get to wherever on time they are willing to pay a change fee and upgrade that they don't want to give the seat to you. And/or RM are just waiting until some random guy off the street won't buy the seat. I don't know the loads right now (or care to look them up), but the scenario I described is entirely within reason (and logic).

McScruffy Sep 4, 2018 7:44 pm

Update...I’m awaiting the email confirmation in my inbox, but I did get a notification for the flight I wanted to be put on (AC34) and was able to check-in to that flight on the AC app (which also now showed the upgrade wait list).

canadiancow Sep 4, 2018 9:17 pm

I see 4 seats available and more revenue passengers than that currently checked in and waitlisted for an upgrade.

I have mixed opinions on this. On one hand, you've hit IRROPS, and shouldn't suffer. On the other, 34 might be harder to upgrade tomorrow, so people with higher priority than you may still be waitlisted, and it doesn't seem fair that you get to jump ahead of them.