Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Dec 31, 2017, 6:09 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: jc94
This new annual thread has been carved out of the previous thread in an effort to reduce the number of megathreads on the AC forum. For those interested previous versions are the original 2004 - 2014 thread , 2015 edition, 2016 edition and 2017 edition

The original thread started by accident but quickly became a popular place to come and discuss off topic things such as hockey, new movies, or almost anything that wouldn't fit into existing AC forum threads. More Air Canada or Aeroplan topics such as flight feedback, in-flight services issues or mileage earning/redemption are all topics that should go into existing AC forum threads so others can benefit from this information. Topics about hotels or airlines and/or their loyalty programs should be posted elsewhere on FT as should topics better suited to other forums such as Travel Products for questions about luggage or Travel Photography for discussion about cameras.

While the conversation is more relaxed as it would be in a lounge that doesn't mean however that the FT rules don't apply here as they definitely do so please refrain from controversial topics such as politics or religion, avoid profanities and treat other lounge patrons with the same respect you expect.
Print Wikipost

The Forum Lounge Thread (2018)

Search this Thread

Old Dec 11, 2018, 1:53 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: HH Silver
Originally Posted by meagicano
Jays released Tulo... with $38m left on his contract.
I just heard the Jays GM Atkins say on Sportsnet this morning from the MLB winter meetings in Vegas how hard Tulo had worked to get back to playing shape and that he'd talked with Tulo's agent. While a tough few seasons for him I thought Jays would give him a shot to working back to health and perhaps build up some trade value before unloading him.
Old Dec 11, 2018, 2:09 pm

Programs: TK *G
Speaking of cars, I have a friend who has a friend who just bought a car from 2001...

My parents just replaced their car from 2003 with a new one.

The oldest bus of TTC is from 2006 I believe. The oldest railway car from GO is from 1988. The oldest car from VIA is manufactured in 1947.
Old Dec 11, 2018, 2:34 pm

Programs: AC SE100K, F9 100k, NK Gold, UA *S, Hyatt Glob, Bonvoy Titanium
Originally Posted by WaytoomuchEurope
Just a comment to say how much I respect when people drive vehicles for their lifespan.
I am disappointed if I get less than 300k on a car.

My east coast cars are an 02 VW TDI and the Mrs drives a 98 Accord. Eligible for classic license plates now, antique plates in 5 years...

Even if a major repair comes up, rule of thumb should be to compare the cost of the repair to JUST the sales tax on a new vehicle.

//in laws continue to ignore my advice and keep trading in cars with $10-15k negative equity for new high risk loans (15% vs 0.9% APR) complete with profit center items etc. And they wonder why the dealer sends them a Xmas fruit basket!!

Last edited by expert7700; Dec 11, 2018 at 2:40 pm
Old Dec 11, 2018, 2:36 pm

Programs: AC E35K, NEXUS
Another high-miler here, driving a 2004 Matrix into the ground. Not home so can't check the odometer. I hate change, is one thing, and in the past 30 years have only changed cars when forced by moving across a border (once) and being totalled by a red-light running taxi (once). As neither of those has happened since, I am mainly stuck on what I would have next.
Old Dec 11, 2018, 4:05 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: HH Silver
My classic '03 VW Jetta just rolled over 200K a few weeks ago and will see if I can make it last to 300K but the body is failing so may have to replace it with another VW as there's a local VW shop into its third generation that's as honest as the day is long and wouldn't like to lose that rare trustworthiness so will stick with VW's.
Old Dec 11, 2018, 4:16 pm

Programs: FOTSG Tangerine Ex E35k (AC)
If my car lasts til 300k at the current rate I’ll retire before it needs replacing. More likely I’ll get a self driving one before that if they sort it out and use it to bust the ON insurance bubble.

Depends how well it works. My 1994 one was replaced after about 12 years (not owned from new) with only 100k because it won’t go over 100kph except down hill and I had to stop to let it cool down.

And the UK limit is 112. Plus 100k on that speedo was more like 90... Maybe that’s a UK thing but I never drove a UK car with an accurate speedo, all the ones in NA seem to work. This is based on comparisons to GPS.
Old Dec 11, 2018, 5:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE 2MM; UA MP Premier Silver; Marriott Bonvoy LT Titanium Elite; Radisson; Avis PC
Originally Posted by meagicano
Jays released Tulo... with $38m left on his contract.
Originally Posted by tcook052
I just heard the Jays GM Atkins say on Sportsnet this morning from the MLB winter meetings in Vegas how hard Tulo had worked to get back to playing shape and that he'd talked with Tulo's agent. While a tough few seasons for him I thought Jays would give him a shot to working back to health and perhaps build up some trade value before unloading him.
Not shocking I guess, although I am still a bit caught off guard by this.
My best "memories" are from the 2015 season when he joined the team in August and helped them on their exciting run.
tcook052 likes this.
Old Dec 11, 2018, 8:53 pm

Programs: AC SE100K, AC 1MM, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold,Hertz something or other, Sandals Sapphire, etc
Is Kawhi playing..... No
Old Dec 12, 2018, 8:48 am

Programs: AC SE100K, Bonvoy Platinum Elite, IHG Gold, Hertz 5*
@tcook052

I may have been wrong about Hitch. EDM looking pretty good.
tcook052 likes this.
Old Dec 12, 2018, 9:08 am

Programs: AC SE MM, Bonvoy Plat, Hilton G,Nexus, Amex MR Plat,IHG Plat
Originally Posted by Yhztraveller
Is Kawhi playing..... No
Did not matter. Raps spanked the Clippers last night.
Should have paid more attention to the schedule. I am flying out from the Bay area tonight, should have stayed and caught the GS/Raps game.
Old Dec 12, 2018, 9:50 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Marriott Bonvoy Lifetime PE, AC Altitude SE100K-1MM
Curious that many of you are FF, yet have vehicles with high mileage. I have a 2013, and just commented the other day it's about to roll over the 35,000km mark! Granted, I live right in the city and also take transit / ubers to avoid parking charges!
Old Dec 12, 2018, 11:37 am

Programs: AC E35K, NEXUS
Some of us share a vehicle with significant others.
Old Dec 12, 2018, 9:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE 2MM; UA MP Premier Silver; Marriott Bonvoy LT Titanium Elite; Radisson; Avis PC
The Flames are truly en fuego, and the game tonight was ridiculous with their comeback.
Old Dec 12, 2018, 9:47 pm

Programs: AC SE100K, AC 1MM, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold,Hertz something or other, Sandals Sapphire, etc
Originally Posted by yyznomad
The Flames are truly en fuego, and the game tonight was ridiculous with their comeback.
Love my Flames!! It is fun to watch, but will be hard to maintain 1st place if they keep giving up 5 goals on 19 shots!!

Old Dec 12, 2018, 9:48 pm

Raps up by 16 at half against GS. No Kawhi, and Big V left the game hurt....

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.