Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Dec 31, 2017, 6:09 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: jc94
This new annual thread has been carved out of the previous thread in an effort to reduce the number of megathreads on the AC forum. For those interested previous versions are the original 2004 - 2014 thread , 2015 edition, 2016 edition and 2017 edition

The original thread started by accident but quickly became a popular place to come and discuss off topic things such as hockey, new movies, or almost anything that wouldn't fit into existing AC forum threads. More Air Canada or Aeroplan topics such as flight feedback, in-flight services issues or mileage earning/redemption are all topics that should go into existing AC forum threads so others can benefit from this information. Topics about hotels or airlines and/or their loyalty programs should be posted elsewhere on FT as should topics better suited to other forums such as Travel Products for questions about luggage or Travel Photography for discussion about cameras.

While the conversation is more relaxed as it would be in a lounge that doesn't mean however that the FT rules don't apply here as they definitely do so please refrain from controversial topics such as politics or religion, avoid profanities and treat other lounge patrons with the same respect you expect.
Print Wikipost

The Forum Lounge Thread (2018)

Search this Thread

Old Aug 25, 2018, 9:44 am

Programs: AC SE MM; SPG Plat
I wonder how many regulations I broke a couple of weeks ago. Crossed from Switzerland into Germany and back out on same day at least 6 times over the course of a week. Didn't have so much as a driver's license with me, never mind passport. Mind you, I was with my Swiss buddy and we were on bikes - and most of the border crossings were unmanned. Two of them were manned and they were doing spot checks, but both times we were just waved through. Luckily.

Interesting factoid: a couple of the entries into Germany were into an enclave entirely surrounded by Switzerland. It's only a few square kilometers in size. Just outside Shaffhausen.
Old Aug 25, 2018, 5:47 pm
Suspended

Programs: Air Canada Super Elite 2+ Million Miles
Switzerland is within the Schengen area, even though not in EU. Initial Entry into either is good not just for the other, but for France, Italy, etc.

ps...wish you well biking but if you get into an accident and have no ID, good luck when police show up
Old Aug 25, 2018, 5:53 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Programs: AC
Originally Posted by smallmj
When I was in Senegal in 2013, my brother-in-law warned me to always have ID on me because the police could randomly ask for it. This seemed completely strange to me at the time. Fast forward a few years and I find out that it is happening in certain Canadian cities, mostly to certain visible minorities.
If you have nothing to hide...
Old Aug 25, 2018, 6:07 pm

Programs: FOTSG Tangerine Ex E35k (AC)
I personally find my passport to be safer on the hotel safe (or even a suitcase) than my back pocket.

Even in countries where I have read one should keep it on them, local tour guides have advised leaving it in the hotel.
canadiancow likes this.
Old Aug 25, 2018, 6:20 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Originally Posted by jc94
I personally find my passport to be safer on the hotel safe (or even a suitcase) than my back pocket.

Even in countries where I have read one should keep it on them, local tour guides have advised leaving it in the hotel.
Safe or not I always keep my passport on me especially in places like Singapore.
skybluesea likes this.
Old Aug 25, 2018, 7:24 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
Singapore is probably one of the safest places I visited on my three week round the world trip.

I wouldn't be opposed to carrying it there, but even certain European cities would have me nervous. The only time I took it out on my trip was in Germany (Frankfurt) because I figured I might need it at the hospital. And I did.

Nowhere else was it required for anything other than airline or hotel check-in.

If police want to see it, fine, we can go back to my hotel. But I'm not risking having it stolen/lost/damaged when I can just keep it in a safe.
jc94 likes this.
Old Aug 25, 2018, 8:23 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Originally Posted by canadiancow
Singapore is probably one of the safest places I visited on my three week round the world trip.

I wouldn't be opposed to carrying it there, but even certain European cities would have me nervous. The only time I took it out on my trip was in Germany (Frankfurt) because I figured I might need it at the hospital. And I did.

Nowhere else was it required for anything other than airline or hotel check-in.

If police want to see it, fine, we can go back to my hotel. But I'm not risking having it stolen/lost/damaged when I can just keep it in a safe.
All jokes aside it is wise to familiarize with local laws.
skybluesea likes this.
Old Aug 26, 2018, 12:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE 2MM; UA MP Premier Silver; Marriott Bonvoy LT Titanium Elite; Radisson; Avis PC

There are some places where I know I need/should carry my passport instead of in the hotel safe (where I'd rather have it).
In general I agree and prefer this, but sometimes its unavoidable, IMHO.
Old Aug 26, 2018, 5:07 am

Programs: Aeroplan
My brother-in-law told me to photocopy relevant pages (ID page, visa) of my passport and carry the copies with me everywhere I went in Senegal, but leave my actual passport locked away at (his) home. Fortunately I never had to find out whether his advice was correct.
Old Aug 26, 2018, 10:07 am
Suspended

Programs: Air Canada Super Elite 2+ Million Miles
@smallmj and @canadiancow

No need to go as far as Senegal or Singapore to discover that having ID on your person can avoid a conviction, and police can certainly be creative to justify stopping you for probable cause.

I recall from a research project years ago, 24 US states have Stop and ID laws, which was narrowly upheld by the US Supreme Court (2005).

https://www.policeone.com/archive/ar...to-provide-ID/

Advice I give everyone: take photo on your smartphone of your passport details, keep one on the cloud somewhere, and make hard copies and keep in your carry-on and checked baggage - but always carry your passport - and if gets lost, stolen or destroyed you have a copy for immediate attention to Consular officials for replacement.

btw...you have a right in way of the UN Treaty on Consular Relations, for those states that have consular relations (e.g. no luck for a Canadian in Iran) to intervention by representatives of your country of citizenship, and this is much easier (although NOT impossible) to make happen if you have ID that demonstrates your citizenship.

Last edited by skybluesea; Aug 26, 2018 at 10:08 am Reason: del via
Old Aug 26, 2018, 10:30 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by skybluesea
@smallmj and @canadiancow

No need to go as far as Senegal or Singapore to discover that having ID on your person can avoid a conviction, and police can certainly be creative to justify stopping you for probable cause.

I recall from a research project years ago, 24 US states have Stop and ID laws, which was narrowly upheld by the US Supreme Court (2005).

https://www.policeone.com/archive/ar...to-provide-ID/

Advice I give everyone: take photo on your smartphone of your passport details, keep one on the cloud somewhere, and make hard copies and keep in your carry-on and checked baggage - but always carry your passport - and if gets lost, stolen or destroyed you have a copy for immediate attention to Consular officials for replacement.

btw...you have a right in way of the UN Treaty on Consular Relations, for those states that have consular relations (e.g. no luck for a Canadian in Iran) to intervention by representatives of your country of citizenship, and this is much easier (although NOT impossible) to make happen if you have ID that demonstrates your citizenship.
We were discussing carrying passports, but the only link you provided is about "identification". I never go anywhere without identification.
Old Aug 26, 2018, 11:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by canadiancow
We were discussing carrying passports, but the only link you provided is about "identification". I never go anywhere without identification.
Outside of North America, you do. Only valid ID would be a national identity card for countries that have one (and if the other country recognizes it) or more generally, your passport. But no, your driver's licence is not ID.
skybluesea likes this.
Old Aug 26, 2018, 2:55 pm

Programs: FOTSG Tangerine Ex E35k (AC)
Originally Posted by Stranger
Outside of North America, you do. Only valid ID would be a national identity card for countries that have one (and if the other country recognizes it) or more generally, your passport. But no, your driver's licence is not ID.
This is true at least in so far as US and Canada rejecting a UK driving license for domestic flights. Never tried my Canadian one outside of NA.

Government ID does seem to be region specific.
Old Aug 26, 2018, 3:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

This is true at least in so far as US and Canada rejecting a UK driving license for domestic flights. Never tried my Canadian one outside of NA.

Government ID does seem to be region specific.
That misses the point. In NA, any govt-issued document with enough information is taken as being proper identification. Which makes sense given that typically a DL is the only document people have.

Virtually any continental European countries issue mandatory ID cards to people over 12 or so. Which is the only document considered as valid ID. They won't even accept national driver's licences issued by the country itself as proper ID. Passport, yes. But again most people don't have one.

That is about police and that sort of things. Airlines might have different requirement, but even that would surprise me. Just look at what people handle say in Italy when boarding an intra-European flight. You'll see mostly nsational ID cards. Never driver's licences; which are good *only* for driving and nothing else.
skybluesea likes this.
Old Aug 26, 2018, 5:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE 2MM; UA MP Premier Silver; Marriott Bonvoy LT Titanium Elite; Radisson; Avis PC
Which reminds me I need to get my fishing license so I can fly domestic.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.