Old Dec 31, 2017, 6:09 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: jc94
This new annual thread has been carved out of the previous thread in an effort to reduce the number of megathreads on the AC forum. For those interested previous versions are the original 2004 - 2014 thread , 2015 edition, 2016 edition and 2017 edition

The original thread started by accident but quickly became a popular place to come and discuss off topic things such as hockey, new movies, or almost anything that wouldn't fit into existing AC forum threads. More Air Canada or Aeroplan topics such as flight feedback, in-flight services issues or mileage earning/redemption are all topics that should go into existing AC forum threads so others can benefit from this information. Topics about hotels or airlines and/or their loyalty programs should be posted elsewhere on FT as should topics better suited to other forums such as Travel Products for questions about luggage or Travel Photography for discussion about cameras.

While the conversation is more relaxed as it would be in a lounge that doesn't mean however that the FT rules don't apply here as they definitely do so please refrain from controversial topics such as politics or religion, avoid profanities and treat other lounge patrons with the same respect you expect.
Print Wikipost

The Forum Lounge Thread (2018)

Old Aug 1, 2018, 1:13 pm

Originally Posted by songsc
I would ask for all those money transfers that are promised.
LOL
Old Aug 1, 2018, 1:14 pm

Programs: AC e75K, *G, SPG/MR PPE
Originally Posted by canadiancow
I used to think like you. Then I started making more money. I used to buy Flex FPs. Then I got sick of sitting in Y and paying change fees. I used to be content with Subway for dinner. Now I like to check off a Michelin Star every now and then.

There's a lot that can be said for never having to worry if you can afford a night out.
Literally my only financial goal is to be able to afford J and have it feel like Y.
Old Aug 1, 2018, 1:37 pm

Programs: TK *G
Originally Posted by meagicano
Literally my only financial goal is to be able to afford J and have it feel like Y.
I am sure very few people can afford, or more accurately, willing to pay out of their own pocket for the average J ticket within Canada. However from time to time there have been discount P fare to Europe and Asia at reasonably low price (around $3000).
Old Aug 1, 2018, 4:59 pm

Programs: AC e75K, *G, SPG/MR PPE
I am sure very few people can afford, or more accurately, willing to pay out of their own pocket for the average J ticket within Canada. However from time to time there have been discount P fare to Europe and Asia at reasonably low price (around $3000).
But when Y is $1000-1500... it can be hard to justify. Though, to be honest, I'm getting to the point now where I'd probably be able to do it. I've started keeping an eye out for those P fares...
Old Aug 1, 2018, 5:02 pm

Programs: Aeroplan
I would like to know how people react if I tell them the average wait time for CT, MRI, etc is under one hour, in one of the "third world" developing country.
I bet you have to pay for them, but it doesn't cost much by North American standards.
Old Aug 1, 2018, 5:49 pm

Programs: FOTSG Tangerine Ex E35k (AC)
Regarding the heights thing, tried to post earlier but it crashed. Similar to what posted above, I’m not great on heights but have never had issues in planes - including light aircraft (4 seaters), helicopters or hot air balloons. Yet still not happy on the side of cliffs etc.

This matches others I know. I also know someone who is terrified of flying, yet is fine with heights. At least in my experience the two are not related.

In regards to J it’s not just about affordability, for me it’s also about what else I could spend the cash on. Flying PY TPAC means I can afford other things sooner. Can I afford J, sure but it’s be at the expense of other goals I have that take priority at this stage of life.

Thats not to say I wouldn’t be more likely to fly J if my salary were to double mind. And I do tend to buy J/F domestically because it’s easy to justify an extra few hundred $ (okay so this tends me be trans border and not trans continental) than $5k.

Each to their own.
Old Aug 2, 2018, 1:24 am

Originally Posted by smallmj
Fear of heights can be very different for different people:

I start shaking and sweating if I get to the third rung of a ladder, but I have no problem standing on the top of a cliff or riding in a glass elevator. I guess subconsciously I trust those structures but I don't trust a ladder. I love flying.

My daughter freaks out if she needs to stand on a raised platform or a cliff top. But she has no trouble flying.

My wife's grandmother wouldn't ride in a car going up a big hill. She would make her husband let her off at the bottom so she could walk up and get back in the car at the top of the hill. Good thing she lived in the Netherlands, so it didn't come up very often. She never flew, but that may have been partly economic. Flying was still very expensive when she died nearly 40 years ago.

You may find that flying doesn't even feel like being up high. The views are so different that it might not trigger your fear at all. Just to be safe, I would avoid window seats. If you are flying a widebody, you may prefer the middle section where you'll not really see anything.

If you are really scared you may want to talk to your Doctor about an anti-anxiety drug like Ativan.

Hope this helps
Oh, thank you very much for answering. thanks for the advice. I will definitely turn to my doctor.
Old Aug 2, 2018, 6:32 am

Programs: Air Canada - Aeroplan Black, AC - E50K, NEXUS/GE
Originally Posted by Praetorian
How long was your defense, and what is your PhD in?
The defence was about 2-2.5 hours in total. And my PhD is in chemistry.
Old Aug 2, 2018, 4:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE 2MM; UA MP Premier Silver; Marriott Bonvoy LT Titanium Elite; Radisson; Avis PC
I disagree with every part of that.

Over the past 5 years, I've gone from "I'll go home a few times a year" to "I'll go to any North American AC FT do on a Saturday night". And I'm sure my starting salary was at a level most people would consider high enough that doubling it wouldn't make a difference. But it has.

Also, any company that won't let you take off unpaid time once you've exhausted your paid time off is not worth working for.
+299,792,458
Old Aug 2, 2018, 4:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE 2MM; UA MP Premier Silver; Marriott Bonvoy LT Titanium Elite; Radisson; Avis PC
Originally Posted by ScGhost0

The defence was about 2-2.5 hours in total. And my PhD is in chemistry.
Congratulations, @ScGhost0 ! ^
skybluesea and ScGhost0 like this.
Old Aug 5, 2018, 3:00 pm

Programs: Only J via Peasant Points, 777HDPeasant or The Unexpected Virtue of Ignorance and Narcissism.
Old Aug 5, 2018, 5:20 pm

Originally Posted by DrunkCargo
Isn't interest also shielded?
no tax on interest either.
Old Aug 5, 2018, 6:15 pm

Programs: UA Premier Platinum
Originally Posted by tonywush
Canadian health technology and research achievement is world class. If you were to talk about general health/hospital care, meh~~

Especially in BC, I need to wait for 9 month to get next MRI/Ultrasound test done. What a joke!
My coworker just got an MRI for a non acute injury in BC in 2 weeks from his first doctor visit. It really depends on how your case is prioritized by the system.

On the other hand, he had to make a 700 km round trip to get it which is an issue of its own. If you didn't have a car or were unable to drive for medical reasons that would be a hotel stay and two days off work out of your own pocket.
Old Aug 6, 2018, 2:05 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
How do you find and book day rates for hotels?

​​​​​ Is it just a matter of calling every property?
Old Aug 6, 2018, 3:11 am
Suspended

Programs: AC SE100K-1MM, NH, DL, AA, BA, Global Entry/Nexus, APEC..
How do you find and book day rates for hotels?

​​​​​ Is it just a matter of calling every property?
Some publish the rates on their websites, for others i’ve called or emailed to get the rates

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.