Old Dec 31, 2017, 6:09 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: jc94
This new annual thread has been carved out of the previous thread in an effort to reduce the number of megathreads on the AC forum. For those interested previous versions are the original 2004 - 2014 thread , 2015 edition, 2016 edition and 2017 edition

The original thread started by accident but quickly became a popular place to come and discuss off topic things such as hockey, new movies, or almost anything that wouldn't fit into existing AC forum threads. More Air Canada or Aeroplan topics such as flight feedback, in-flight services issues or mileage earning/redemption are all topics that should go into existing AC forum threads so others can benefit from this information. Topics about hotels or airlines and/or their loyalty programs should be posted elsewhere on FT as should topics better suited to other forums such as Travel Products for questions about luggage or Travel Photography for discussion about cameras.

While the conversation is more relaxed as it would be in a lounge that doesn't mean however that the FT rules don't apply here as they definitely do so please refrain from controversial topics such as politics or religion, avoid profanities and treat other lounge patrons with the same respect you expect.
Print Wikipost

The Forum Lounge Thread (2018)

Old Jul 17, 2018, 6:50 pm

Programs: UA Premier Platinum
Originally Posted by songsc
Also interesting that so many companies spend so much on recruiting, but pretty much nothing on employee retention.
My employer, after acquiring another, lower-margin business that tripled our employee count, decided to "rationalize" the benefits and bonuses of our US employees by - you guessed it - sticking everyone with the shittier benefits of the company we acquired rather than increasing it to match what our employees always had.

Needless to say, a good chunk of people who've been here 10+ years have departed recently. Don't mess with people's health benefits in the US.
songsc likes this.
Old Jul 18, 2018, 7:47 am

Programs: AC SE MM, Bonvoy Plat, Hilton G,Nexus, Amex MR Plat,IHG Plat
A recruiter from a US big 5 tech company sent me an email today, offering me a trip to their HQ to discuss a intermediate level software developer position.

This leaves me wondering: How much resources do US big 5 spend on technical talent acquisition? Can the spending be justified, or is it just a bubble?

On the other hand, as a person with recruiting responsibilities myself, I think Canadian tech companies should really step up the game to keep talents from going to US.
US companies will spend to fly you in. FB was willing to do that in a heartbeat. So was my previous company. However some of their other costs are much lower than Canada - examples severance in the US is nowhere close to Canadian levels. IMHO. I have US employees and Canadian employees on my team.
Some markets like Seattle have a poaching war going on with Google and FB poaching Amz employees and vice versa.
Old Jul 18, 2018, 9:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE 2MM; UA MP Premier Silver; Marriott Bonvoy LT Titanium Elite; Radisson; Avis PC
Thanks for the memories, DeMar. Sad to see you go.
Old Jul 18, 2018, 10:14 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: HH Silver
Originally Posted by yyznomad
Thanks for the memories, DeMar. Sad to see you go.
I get that the Raps are shaking things up to try and win it all but that trade I think will come back to haunt them unless they do win the title this coming season. DeMar was the face of the franchise and was told recently he wasn't being moved so what a management sell-out.
Old Jul 18, 2018, 11:00 am

Originally Posted by tcook052
I get that the Raps are shaking things up to try and win it all but that trade I think will come back to haunt them unless they do win the title this coming season. DeMar was the face of the franchise and was told recently he wasn't being moved so what a management sell-out.
Indeed. Unless Masai has a card up his sleeve though unlikely - like a further trade. This seems to be status quo, trading one star for another albeit with better defensive abilities but giving up draft pick and young talent for what could be a one year rental player who has no desire to be in TO.
tcook052 likes this.
Old Jul 18, 2018, 11:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE 2MM; UA MP Premier Silver; Marriott Bonvoy LT Titanium Elite; Radisson; Avis PC
Originally Posted by tcook052
Originally Posted by vernonc
Indeed. Unless Masai has a card up his sleeve though unlikely - like a further trade. This seems to be status quo, trading one star for another albeit with better defensive abilities but giving up draft pick and young talent for what could be a one year rental player who has no desire to be in TO.
Yep. Still not liking it no matter the rationale.

I feel like Masai jumped the shark after sacking Dwane, and this just follows.

But I'd be happy if I'm proven wrong.
Old Jul 18, 2018, 8:11 pm

Programs: Only J via Peasant Points, 777HDPeasant or The Unexpected Virtue of Ignorance and Narcissism.
Old Jul 18, 2018, 8:51 pm

Programs: TK *G
Much more interested in the left half of the chart lol.

On another note Jack, what happened to your trip report? It has been sitting on day 3 for a while now
jc94 likes this.
Old Jul 18, 2018, 9:13 pm

Programs: Only J via Peasant Points, 777HDPeasant or The Unexpected Virtue of Ignorance and Narcissism.
On another note Jack, what happened to your trip report? It has been sitting on day 3 for a while now
I know... eh.... I promise I will get back to it as soon as I finish ramping up at work.
Old Jul 19, 2018, 1:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Machado to LAD! Interesting...
Old Jul 19, 2018, 1:44 pm

Programs: UA Premier Platinum
So what you're saying is... S&P500 index funds might as well be FaceGoogAmaSoft funds?
Old Jul 19, 2018, 1:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I'm sure Kawhi wants to GTFO of TO ASAP.
Old Jul 19, 2018, 5:18 pm

Originally Posted by yyznomad
I'm sure Kawhi wants to GTFO of TO ASAP.
Well sure but he better add to his resume in his year in TO after his year off with on/off injuries, otherwise people might consider him a prima donna given that he is dissing Pops team which built him up. He could also be traded during the year. Lowry also did not want to be in TO and that changed when he got here.
tcook052 likes this.
Old Jul 19, 2018, 5:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by vernonc
Well sure but he better add to his resume in his year in TO after his year off with on/off injuries, otherwise people might consider him a prima donna given that he is dissing Pops team which built him up. He could also be traded during the year. Lowry also did not want to be in TO and that changed when he got here.
yeah that whole injury stuff was just peculiar, to say the least
Old Jul 19, 2018, 9:51 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
Has anyone done any travel where you haven't booked flights out of your destination? I'm taking 3 weeks off in August, and the "rough" itinerary is SFO-Asia-Europe-SFO (and even that is up in the air), but when dealing with last minute availability, I may end up trying to enter various countries with no firm exit plans.

Is this likely to be an issue, with a Canadian passport, and a "promise" that I need to be back at work no more than 3 weeks from the entry date?

Going into the EU, I've sometimes been asked how long I'll be there, but I've never been asked for proof. TYO has asked me questions about how long, but again never required proof. Is "at most 3 weeks" a reasonable answer? Am I going to REQUIRE evidence of transit?

I'd rather not book anything until award space opens up on whatever airline/alliance suits me.

If the answer is "depends on the country", that's useful to know. I almost posted this in the mini-rtw thread, but it's not really about booking an Aeroplan minirtw, it's about general immigration policies around the world, and since this may impact me on multiple continents, I felt this was the best place to post.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.