Old Dec 31, 2017, 6:09 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: jc94
This new annual thread has been carved out of the previous thread in an effort to reduce the number of megathreads on the AC forum. For those interested previous versions are the original 2004 - 2014 thread , 2015 edition, 2016 edition and 2017 edition

The original thread started by accident but quickly became a popular place to come and discuss off topic things such as hockey, new movies, or almost anything that wouldn't fit into existing AC forum threads. More Air Canada or Aeroplan topics such as flight feedback, in-flight services issues or mileage earning/redemption are all topics that should go into existing AC forum threads so others can benefit from this information. Topics about hotels or airlines and/or their loyalty programs should be posted elsewhere on FT as should topics better suited to other forums such as Travel Products for questions about luggage or Travel Photography for discussion about cameras.

While the conversation is more relaxed as it would be in a lounge that doesn't mean however that the FT rules don't apply here as they definitely do so please refrain from controversial topics such as politics or religion, avoid profanities and treat other lounge patrons with the same respect you expect.
Print Wikipost

The Forum Lounge Thread (2018)

Old Jul 11, 2018, 12:50 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by yyznomad
Good one.

No, I'm talking about legit 1st, 2nd, and 3rd place trophies, plaques, certificates, etc. from competitions that involved dozens to hundreds of competitors... you know, in the non-coddling age.

I never did receive a 143rd place ribbon like they dole out nowadays.
I seem to recall playing soccer in the early 90s and everyone got a trophy.

Or maybe we won. But I doubt it.
Old Jul 11, 2018, 12:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE 2MM; UA MP Premier Silver; Marriott Bonvoy LT Titanium Elite; Radisson; Avis PC
Originally Posted by canadiancow
I seem to recall playing soccer in the early 90s and everyone got a trophy.

Or maybe we won. But I doubt it.
I'm just a bit before your time.
ffsim and canadiancow like this.
Old Jul 11, 2018, 1:00 pm

Programs: TK *G
Perhaps we should have things like always late for school award, never finish homework award (I am sure I will get this one) instead.
Old Jul 11, 2018, 1:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE 2MM; UA MP Premier Silver; Marriott Bonvoy LT Titanium Elite; Radisson; Avis PC
Originally Posted by songsc
Perhaps we should have things like always late for school award, never finish homework award (I am sure I will get this one) instead.
The parents should get awards too.

- Best Coddling Helicopter Parent
- Best "My child is perfect and better than all your children" Parent
Old Jul 11, 2018, 2:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

If this goes to penalty shoot out...

btw, when was the last time a team won three games in a row on penalty shoot out?
Old Jul 11, 2018, 2:27 pm

Programs: AC SE MM, Bonvoy Plat, Hilton G,Nexus, Amex MR Plat,IHG Plat
If this goes to penalty shoot out...

btw, when was the last time a team won three games in a row on penalty shoot out?
Never
Old Jul 11, 2018, 2:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by vernonc
Never
Right. I guess moot anyway now!

I can picture a night of increased drunken belligerence on the streets.
Old Jul 11, 2018, 3:13 pm

Programs: HH Silver
Can't believe ENG choked!
Old Jul 11, 2018, 3:22 pm

Programs: TK *G
The parents should get awards too.

- Best Coddling Helicopter Parent
- Best "My child is perfect and better than all your children" Parent
And this one:

Allowing my kids to empty J snack basket award.
Old Jul 11, 2018, 3:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

And this one:

Allowing my kids to empty J snack basket award.
The worst kind of parent.
Old Jul 11, 2018, 3:41 pm

Programs: AC SE MM, Bonvoy Plat, Hilton G,Nexus, Amex MR Plat,IHG Plat
Originally Posted by tcook052
Can't believe ENG choked!
Don't know about choking. Seems like some tactical mistakes. England has the second youngest team in the world cup. Most of their success has come from speed that causes defensive errors and set pieces. This time they tried a plodding passing game and were too defensive, looking for the fast break and set pieces. Should have stayed with what works. Lets see if France (youngest team with some speed/skill players) outpaces Croatia in the finals.
Old Jul 11, 2018, 4:54 pm

Programs: HH Silver
Don't know about choking. Seems like some tactical mistakes. England has the second youngest team in the world cup. Most of their success has come from speed that causes defensive errors and set pieces. This time they tried a plodding passing game and were too defensive, looking for the fast break and set pieces. Should have stayed with what works. Lets see if France (youngest team with some speed/skill players) outpaces Croatia in the finals.
France should easily power past Croatia given their line-up. Easily not the WC final anyone would've likely predicted going in. I'm picking France.
vernonc likes this.
Old Jul 11, 2018, 9:03 pm

Programs: Only J via Peasant Points, 777HDPeasant or The Unexpected Virtue of Ignorance and Narcissism.
Old Jul 12, 2018, 5:50 am

Programs: FOTSG Tangerine Ex E35k (AC)
This. After a great start it just kinda flopped. Not the most progressive afternoon I’ve ever had at work that. Should have taken those chances and been 2 or 3-0 up to handle the goal from Croatia that I predicted early on. Still, they’re young and far further than anyone expected.

Originally Posted by tcook052
France should easily power past Croatia given their line-up. Easily not the WC final anyone would've likely predicted going in. I'm picking France.
Yeah after Germany, Brazil, Argentina, Spain, Portugal etc... I dunno. And I’m cheering for Croatia.

Not sure I can even watch Saturday’s. Maybe I should ensure I’m in a coma. Anyone free Friday?
Old Jul 12, 2018, 8:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

You mean trophies for being the second best in a two-person competition?
I've decided to toss out my grade school and high school trophies, like the Grade 7 Science Fair 1st place trophy, the Regional Science Fair 1st place trophy, and grade school track & field trophies/1st/2nd/3rd place ribbons. All sitting in some box using up valuable space.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.