Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Dec 31, 2017, 6:09 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: jc94
This new annual thread has been carved out of the previous thread in an effort to reduce the number of megathreads on the AC forum. For those interested previous versions are the original 2004 - 2014 thread , 2015 edition, 2016 edition and 2017 edition

The original thread started by accident but quickly became a popular place to come and discuss off topic things such as hockey, new movies, or almost anything that wouldn't fit into existing AC forum threads. More Air Canada or Aeroplan topics such as flight feedback, in-flight services issues or mileage earning/redemption are all topics that should go into existing AC forum threads so others can benefit from this information. Topics about hotels or airlines and/or their loyalty programs should be posted elsewhere on FT as should topics better suited to other forums such as Travel Products for questions about luggage or Travel Photography for discussion about cameras.

While the conversation is more relaxed as it would be in a lounge that doesn't mean however that the FT rules don't apply here as they definitely do so please refrain from controversial topics such as politics or religion, avoid profanities and treat other lounge patrons with the same respect you expect.
Print Wikipost

The Forum Lounge Thread (2018)

Search this Thread

Old May 17, 2018, 4:23 pm

Programs: AC SEMM / HH Diamond
Originally Posted by smallmj
I like the Muppet's version.
https://youtu.be/tgbNymZ7vqY
This is even funnier when you compare it to the official Queen version (which I just watched yesterday, after the trailer came out).

The Muppet version does a great job emulating the original ... it's funny watching the two versions play side by side at the same time
Old May 17, 2018, 4:30 pm

Programs: Ice Cream Club, AC SE MM, Bonvoy Life Plat
Ugh, do we have too many East coasters in Vancouver now? I'd rather have the empty homes problem...
Old May 17, 2018, 8:20 pm

Programs: FOTSG Tangerine Ex E35k (AC)
Norway is worse ... Like C$22 for a burger, at Burger King. And that was a few years ago. The hotel (low to mid range) one was closer to $50. Yet Finland only a few km over the border is quite reasonable.

Hey @Jumper Jack you given up on the blog?! I’m still waiting on Day 1!
Old May 17, 2018, 9:00 pm

Programs: AC SE100K, Marriott Lifetime Platinum Elite. NEXUS
MEX is weird. $110MXN (around $7.75cad) for a 45 minute Uber. $65MXN ($4.50 cad) for a light 4 course lunch, sitting down.

And yet a block away, $200USD hotels and $100usd meals.

$100,000usd Range Rovers pausing as they pull out of the $300usd hotel for the city worker sweeping the sidewalk with a habd made whisk broom.
Old May 17, 2018, 9:19 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: HH Silver
Originally Posted by RangerNS
MEX is weird. $110MXN (around $7.75cad) for a 45 minute Uber. $65MXN ($4.50 cad) for a light 4 course lunch, sitting down.

$100,000usd Range Rovers pausing as they pull out of the $300usd hotel for the city worker sweeping the sidewalk with a habd made whisk broom.
A friend has a real love for MEX and has convinced me to go one day soon.
Old May 17, 2018, 9:37 pm

Same thing in India (and others though starkest here). Hotel price high, food there could easily run $75 for a simple meal. Get a cheap ride for 10 mins and $75 will feed four a 3 course meal at a good restaurant.

Like MEX, two separate worlds colliding.
Old May 17, 2018, 10:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE 2MM; UA MP Premier Silver; Marriott Bonvoy LT Titanium Elite; Radisson; Avis PC
Originally Posted by jc94
Norway is worse ... Like C$22 for a burger, at Burger King. And that was a few years ago. The hotel (low to mid range) one was closer to $50. Yet Finland only a few km over the border is quite reasonable.

I was more thinking of Sweden (but I think they are just as expensive) when you mentioned border - which town were you in in northern Norway to be so close to the Finland border?!
Old May 18, 2018, 12:15 am
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AC E50k, A3*G, UA*S, MR Titanium, HHonors Gold, Carlson Gold, NEXUS
Originally Posted by yyznomad
I was more thinking of Sweden (but I think they are just as expensive) when you mentioned border - which town were you in in northern Norway to be so close to the Finland border?!
I​​​​ found Sweden to be more expensive, both in transit costs and food. Having spent a bit too much time in Norway, I can say there are ways to make it on the cheap. For example, you can get a decent sized pizza for ~$15 if you have a student ID. You can get a pretty decent + filling burrito from a nice place by the central station for around the same price. Is it as cheap as elsewhere in western Europe? Definitely not -- but on the bright side, everyone starves themselves, so the people are attractive .

That said, nobody holds a candle to Switzerland when it comes to expensive food. And since the CHF isn't pegged to the euro anymore, it just doesn't feel like real money!
Old May 18, 2018, 12:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE 2MM; UA MP Premier Silver; Marriott Bonvoy LT Titanium Elite; Radisson; Avis PC
Originally Posted by pewpew
I​​​​ found Sweden to be more expensive, both in transit costs and food. Having spent a bit too much time in Norway, I can say there are ways to make it on the cheap. For example, you can get a decent sized pizza for ~$15 if you have a student ID. You can get a pretty decent + filling burrito from a nice place by the central station for around the same price. Is it as cheap as elsewhere in western Europe? Definitely not -- but on the bright side, everyone starves themselves, so the people are attractive .

That said, nobody holds a candle to Switzerland when it comes to expensive food. And since the CHF isn't pegged to the euro anymore, it just doesn't feel like real money!
You're probably right. For me, it just got to a point where I gave up.

And yes, ZRH is another kick in the groin. My friend wanted to go shopping on Bahnofstraße and I laughed at her (already expensive, on top of already expensive).
Old May 18, 2018, 1:32 am

Programs: Only J via Peasant Points, 777HDPeasant or The Unexpected Virtue of Ignorance and Narcissism.

I already have a couple written and ready to go. The problem is I run into some video uploading issue. The plan is to resolve it tomorrow in Shanghai.
Fear not! Day 1,2,3 will be up within 48-72 hours, and followed by 1-2 posts per day.

But man oh man... this was much harder than expected. With three weeks in China thats mostly just visiting family, I hope I will be able to catch up.
Old May 18, 2018, 6:29 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: HH Silver
That said, nobody holds a candle to Switzerland when it comes to expensive food
Ever been to Iceland? I'd wager it makes Swiss food seem cheap by comparison.
Old May 18, 2018, 7:02 am

How did you know it was northern Norway?
Who knows, we drove 9h North from Tromso ... North being relative with all the Fjords to avoid, the border was basically a hut with two blokes who weren't interested in coming out. I didn't even notice the return into Norway.

Oh wonderful. I guess I'll take snacks with me! My plan to fly back from there (partially) to save money seems to get more expensive by the day.

Originally Posted by Jumper Jack
I already have a couple written and ready to go. The problem is I run into some video uploading issue. The plan is to resolve it tomorrow in Shanghai.
Fear not! Day 1,2,3 will be up within 48-72 hours, and followed by 1-2 posts per day.

But man oh man... this was much harder than expected. With three weeks in China thats mostly just visiting family, I hope I will be able to catch up.
Whoohooo. Just giving you a hard time

Originally Posted by tcook052
Ever been to Iceland? I'd wager it makes Swiss food seem cheap by comparison.
Iceland is expensive. Norway was about twice the price. Though both were 5-6 years ago. I remember stopping at Norway airport and decided to go hungry rather than pay $10 or something for a muffin. Still I thought the people in Norway all got paid relative to the cost so didn't find it that bad... So I was told.
Old May 18, 2018, 8:39 am

Programs: AC SE MM, Bonvoy Plat, Hilton G,Nexus, Amex MR Plat,IHG Plat
You're probably right. For me, it just got to a point where I gave up.

And yes, ZRH is another kick in the groin. My friend wanted to go shopping on Bahnofstraße and I laughed at her (already expensive, on top of already expensive).
Oh yeah the Bahnof.... my wife said looks nice, lets go shopping. We walked the street and did not buy anything which says something.
Old May 18, 2018, 8:44 am

Programs: AC SE MM, Bonvoy Plat, Hilton G,Nexus, Amex MR Plat,IHG Plat

Same thing in India (and others though starkest here). Hotel price high, food there could easily run $75 for a simple meal. Get a cheap ride for 10 mins and $75 will feed four a 3 course meal at a good restaurant.

Like MEX, two separate worlds colliding.
Yes, India is just like that. Stayed in a 5 star hotel, three dishes from room service was $100 with no drinks. Went to nice/famous/expensive bar at the beach, $700 for $30 people for food and drinks and thats with several people getting .... faced. Went to a restaurant off the beaten track and $100 for 10 people. Uber was $10 for a 45 min ride.
Old May 18, 2018, 5:04 pm

I saw not quite as large a discrepancy in Singapore.
$40+ burgers, and about 25 meteres away in a hawker centre full meals for $4

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.