Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Dec 31, 2017, 6:09 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: jc94
This new annual thread has been carved out of the previous thread in an effort to reduce the number of megathreads on the AC forum. For those interested previous versions are the original 2004 - 2014 thread , 2015 edition, 2016 edition and 2017 edition

The original thread started by accident but quickly became a popular place to come and discuss off topic things such as hockey, new movies, or almost anything that wouldn't fit into existing AC forum threads. More Air Canada or Aeroplan topics such as flight feedback, in-flight services issues or mileage earning/redemption are all topics that should go into existing AC forum threads so others can benefit from this information. Topics about hotels or airlines and/or their loyalty programs should be posted elsewhere on FT as should topics better suited to other forums such as Travel Products for questions about luggage or Travel Photography for discussion about cameras.

While the conversation is more relaxed as it would be in a lounge that doesn't mean however that the FT rules don't apply here as they definitely do so please refrain from controversial topics such as politics or religion, avoid profanities and treat other lounge patrons with the same respect you expect.
Print Wikipost

The Forum Lounge Thread (2018)

Search this Thread

Old Apr 23, 2018, 2:31 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Programs: AC
Originally Posted by eigenvector
Young FTers, floss your teeth!
Funny I would have recommended the young FTers to skip medical school and go to dental school instead.
Old Apr 23, 2018, 2:33 pm

Programs: TK *G
Originally Posted by Jazzed91
flt dlyd due onbd confusion//bluehair trvl

EDIT: That's supposed to be in all caps, but I guess FT doesn't like that...
To type in all capital letters, just add a random non capital letter at the front.

Speaking of the matter itself, many agents are trying to be nice by placing elderly people in the preferred seats at the front. I am sure this is done with good intension, but sometime the boarding/unloading does get slowed down because of this.

If FA or even passengers assist, it shouldn't take this long though. This happened to me once where two FOGs (fly once grandparents) were having difficulty placing luggage at row 12. FA and I helped and the aisle was cleared quickly.
Old Apr 23, 2018, 2:35 pm

Programs: TK *G
Originally Posted by pewpew
Looks like it's time for me to come home -- I got into medicine
I was trying to like your comment, but either my finger is too fat or my phone is too small

​​​​​​​congrats!
Old Apr 23, 2018, 3:13 pm

Programs: FOTSG Tangerine Ex E35k (AC)
Congrats!

Over the last few weeks, I've had the misfortune of having a root canal followed by a crown on the same tooth. Without insurance this would all cost about $2,500.

And I hate how insurance tops out at $2,000.... Per year with no roll over! And at least from my experience I’m not sure how much of the work we have done is needed vs dentists wanting to cash it on the inaurance.
Old Apr 23, 2018, 3:18 pm

Programs: SE 100K
Congratulations! Amazing feeling, excited for you.

Originally Posted by YVRYEGYVR
Congrats where will you be studying medicine pewpew?

I'm on the other end of the spectrum, finished all my board exams recently. Its a long journey - 12yrs (MD, Surgical specialty, MSc, surgical subspecialty).

I miss med school- best time of your life. Enjoy it!
What surgical specialty?
I'm just finishing residency at the moment too.
Old Apr 23, 2018, 3:21 pm

Programs: UA Premier Platinum
Originally Posted by jc94
And I hate how insurance tops out at $2,000.... Per year with no roll over! And at least from my experience I’m not sure how much of the work we have done is needed vs dentists wanting to cash it on the inaurance.
I recently got a $75 "dental exam" that was just the dentist looking at my tooth between patients for 30 seconds. It's the sort of thing you'd definitely question if you're paying out of pocket but when insurance is picking up the tab, who cares?
Old Apr 23, 2018, 3:22 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AC E50k, A3*G, UA*S, MR Titanium, HHonors Gold, Carlson Gold, NEXUS
Originally Posted by jc94
Congrats!
Originally Posted by songsc
I was trying to like your comment, but either my finger is too fat or my phone is too small

​​​​​​​congrats!
Originally Posted by 24left

Originally Posted by ffsim
Congrats!!! Great news ^
Thanks everyone!

Originally Posted by Jumper Jack
​​​​​​Congrats!!!!!!

what about dat MBB interview?
Well, now that there's no real pressure on me, might as well see how far I can get lol. I don't actually believe I'll make it to third round, but I'm still going to try

Originally Posted by YVRYEGYVR
Congrats where will you be studying medicine pewpew?

I'm on the other end of the spectrum, finished all my board exams recently. Its a long journey - 12yrs (MD, Surgical specialty, MSc, surgical subspecialty).

I miss med school- best time of your life. Enjoy it!
That's a number I was trying not to calculate lol. I'll be going to a med school that, according to your handle, you're familiar with
Old Apr 23, 2018, 3:42 pm

Programs: E35K, FPC Platinum
Very nice. Might work with you if youre on the urology or transplant services at either site

My med school was u of t but residency and fellowship ubc and u of A. All great schools.

pewpew likes this.
Old Apr 23, 2018, 4:12 pm

Programs: Only J via Peasant Points, 777HDPeasant or The Unexpected Virtue of Ignorance and Narcissism.
You know when you hear news like this, you always think it won't happen to you. Until today I never feared for my friends in the area.
I guess this is the world we live in now
Old Apr 23, 2018, 5:53 pm

Programs: Ice Cream Club, AC SE MM, Bonvoy Life Plat
Originally Posted by Bohemian1
That was a trend at a previous gig that paid our best and brightest to take their MBAs. Then they would quit and go elsewhere. The company was over 45K employees, publicly traded and very profitable on $5B+ annual revenue.

One day we have an all hands. And someone in the room has the audacity to ask a non-softball question of our CEO, along the lines of "Why did you recently announce that you are ending the company funded MBA program?".

His response was effectively "Because those ungrateful b*stards get their MBA and then leave the company".

The career limiting response back from the original questioner was "Well, if we had some challenging opportunities for them to do internally with their MBAs, maybe they would stay".

The matter was never discussed again.
Tbh I'd thought that companies that pay for a degree would require some minimum commitment from you or they'd make you repay the tuition
My employer has a policy that if the company pays for you to do a further degree, you have to reimburse them the full cost if you leave within 6 months, 2/3rds if you leave within a year and 1/3rd within 18 months.
The company that paid for my two masters had no policy, and a revenue below $25m. I'm still good friends with the founders and they have no qualms with me quitting immediately after completing the schooling. The CFO who caused me to feel the motivating spite to plow through some degrees, no clue where he's at... I'd never try such a stunt with a company larger than nanocap.

Originally Posted by canadiancow
Feeling a little under the weather (hence why I took a 789 home this morning instead of a 320 later). So I made some tea.

An hour of my time is worth way more than $20, which would get me a very reasonable meal.

Soylent is even cheaper and faster.
That coaster reminds me of waking up with the taste of macallan as my toothpaste...

Over the last few weeks, I've had the misfortune of having a root canal followed by a crown on the same tooth. Without insurance this would all cost about $2,500.

See above. Bathing your teeth in Scottish mouthwash works too. =)

Originally Posted by Jumper Jack
You know when you hear news like this, you always think it won't happen to you. Until today I never feared for my friends in the area.
I guess this is the world we live in now
My phone blew up like 4 hours ago... but I refuse to step on a domestic scheduled flight this week. Amazingly handled by enforcement thus far.
Old Apr 23, 2018, 6:45 pm

Programs: AC SE100K, AC .995 MM, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold,Hertz something or other, Sandals Sapphire, etc
Congrats pewpew!!!

Not that I am a Leafs fan, but would be nice if Leafs won tonight and forced game 7! That way, game 1 vs the Lightning would be Saturday night, making it much easier for me to get to TPA for the game.

My friendly Lightning sales rep called me to see if I really wanted to keep my playoff tixs, since I sold them for all three games in round 1. Guess I better go to a game to throw off suspicion...

If the Bruins win I could turn it into a mini-do! If the Leafs win I suspect I'll have plenty of "friends"who will want to go!!
Old Apr 23, 2018, 7:15 pm

Programs: AC SE (*A Gold), Bonvoy Platinum Elite, Hilton Gold, Amex Platinum / AP Reserve, NEXUS, Global Entry
Originally Posted by Yhztraveller
Not that I am a Leafs fan, but would be nice if Leafs won tonight and forced game 7! That way, game 1 vs the Lightning would be Saturday night, making it much easier for me to get to TPA for the game.
Funny, I want the Leafs to win the series, but since I'll have a free evening in TPA on Friday, I'm kinda hoping the series ends tonight and the next one starts Friday
Old Apr 23, 2018, 7:26 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Programs: AC
Funny, I want the Leafs to win the series:
There has never been a shortage of people hoping the Leafs will win anything. However...the reality is the Leafs will never win, unless they face off against a child's hockey league which has never seen what an ice rink is.
smallmj likes this.
Old Apr 23, 2018, 7:31 pm

Programs: AC SE100K, AC .995 MM, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold,Hertz something or other, Sandals Sapphire, etc
Funny, I want the Leafs to win the series, but since I'll have a free evening in TPA on Friday, I'm kinda hoping the series ends tonight and the next one starts Friday
If its Friday you can organize the mini-do!!

I was hoping if Friday is the 1st game that Sunday would be game 2, but Jeff Dunham is playing at Amalie that day, so either way it looks like game 2 will be on Monday....
Old Apr 23, 2018, 7:32 pm

Originally Posted by longtimeflyin
There has never been a shortage of people hoping the Leafs will win anything. However...the reality is the Leafs will never win, unless they face off against a child's hockey league which has never seen what an ice rink is.
Huh??????
canadiancow likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.