Old Dec 31, 2017, 6:09 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: jc94
This new annual thread has been carved out of the previous thread in an effort to reduce the number of megathreads on the AC forum. For those interested previous versions are the original 2004 - 2014 thread , 2015 edition, 2016 edition and 2017 edition

The original thread started by accident but quickly became a popular place to come and discuss off topic things such as hockey, new movies, or almost anything that wouldn't fit into existing AC forum threads. More Air Canada or Aeroplan topics such as flight feedback, in-flight services issues or mileage earning/redemption are all topics that should go into existing AC forum threads so others can benefit from this information. Topics about hotels or airlines and/or their loyalty programs should be posted elsewhere on FT as should topics better suited to other forums such as Travel Products for questions about luggage or Travel Photography for discussion about cameras.

While the conversation is more relaxed as it would be in a lounge that doesn't mean however that the FT rules don't apply here as they definitely do so please refrain from controversial topics such as politics or religion, avoid profanities and treat other lounge patrons with the same respect you expect.
Print Wikipost

The Forum Lounge Thread (2018)

Old Apr 11, 2018, 11:45 am
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AC E50k, A3*G, UA*S, MR Titanium, HHonors Gold, Carlson Gold, NEXUS
Originally Posted by Jumper Jack
Case In Point book is your best friend.
You also don't want to seem too rehearsed, yet prepared JUST ENOUGH

Happy to help after my exam on the 16th
I've got two friends (one MBA-turned-scientist, one consultant) helping me out, but I suspect I will end up taking you up on that offer. Good luck with your exams!
Old Apr 11, 2018, 12:26 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: HH Silver

Fans shut out: Only 96 seats available for general public for Leafs first home playoff game | CBC News

Fans shut out: Only 96 seats available for general public for Leafs first home playoff game; Season ticket holders, scalpers, corporations have stranglehold on Leafs tickets CBC/Toronto Star reveal
Old Apr 11, 2018, 1:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE 2MM; UA MP Premier Silver; Marriott Bonvoy LT Titanium Elite; Radisson
Originally Posted by smallmj
How weird is it that two threads that I started in 2016 are suddenly on page 1 of the forum? They had both been dormant for quite some time and I didn't resurrect either of them.
My recommendation is to send a message to the mods - they usually provide a rationale if you ask.
Old Apr 13, 2018, 1:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE 2MM; UA MP Premier Silver; Marriott Bonvoy LT Titanium Elite; Radisson
Originally Posted by tcook052

Fans shut out: Only 96 seats available for general public for Leafs first home playoff game CBC News

Fans shut out: Only 96 seats available for general public for Leafs first home playoff game; Season ticket holders, scalpers, corporations have stranglehold on Leafs tickets CBC/Toronto Star reveal
Shut-out fans might take solace in having saved money when they take a first round exit (if the series continues on like Game 1).
Old Apr 13, 2018, 2:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by yyznomad
Shut-out fans might take solace in having saved money when they take a first round exit (if the series continues on like Game 1).
I was offered seats to game 3 or 4 and politely declined as I know of no one that wanted tickets.
I do know plenty of Bruins and Leaf fans. They are corporate seats
Old Apr 13, 2018, 2:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by acysb87
I was offered seats to game 3 or 4 and politely declined as I know of no one that wanted tickets.
I do know plenty of Bruins and Leaf fans. They are corporate seats
When I was with a Big 4, I had ample access to box/corporate seats at several NHL arenas for NHL pre-season and regular season games.
I wish I took more advantage of it!

In 2012 I paid an exorbitant price for third row seats at the ACC for a BUF @ TOR game... I will NEVER do that again. (at least the Leafs won that game)
Old Apr 13, 2018, 2:23 pm

Programs: AC SE MM, Bonvoy Plat, Hilton G,Nexus, Amex MR Plat,IHG Plat
When I was with a Big 4, I had ample access to box/corporate seats at several NHL arenas for NHL pre-season and regular season games.
I wish I took more advantage of it!

In 2012 I paid an exorbitant price for third row seats at the ACC for a BUF @ TOR game... I will NEVER do that again. (at least the Leafs won that game)
Cheaper to buy the same seats in BUF for a Leafs game. Parking is $10, food options are less but very cheap and drive time from where i am with Nexus is less than 1.5hrs. All in saved around $250-$300.
Old Apr 13, 2018, 2:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by vernonc
Cheaper to buy the same seats in BUF for a Leafs game. Parking is $10, food options are less but very cheap and drive time from where i am with Nexus is less than 1.5hrs. All in saved around $250-$300.
I know, right! It was all in the name of convenience and disposable income, I guess.

(Plus, my friend, who I attended with, had to go home immediately after the game to tend to his family)
Old Apr 13, 2018, 6:08 pm

Programs: Only J via Peasant Points, 777HDPeasant or The Unexpected Virtue of Ignorance and Narcissism.
My dude
Old Apr 13, 2018, 9:31 pm

Programs: AS 100K, UA*S, IHG Plat, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond | Formerly: AC Super Elite
?? that's a totally valid question to ask

Case in point, Gilead has a drug that cures Hep C, Sovaldi -- but guess what, if you cure your patients, your pool of patients will eventually dry up

https://www.investors.com/news/techn...ck-abbvie-win/

Trouble is, Gilead didn't just treat hepatitis C. For the most part, it cured patients after about three months ... Eventually, the patient pool was bound to get smaller, and it has. Sovaldi and Harvoni sales fell a respective 24% and 34% in 2016.
After climbing rapidly in 2013 and 2014, Gilead stock started to slip in 2015 and lost 31% in 2016 as analysts issued report after report modeling what Gilead would look like without HCV.

My dude
Old Apr 13, 2018, 10:03 pm

Programs: Only J via Peasant Points, 777HDPeasant or The Unexpected Virtue of Ignorance and Narcissism.
Originally Posted by maradori
?? that's a totally valid question to ask

Case in point, Gilead has a drug that cures Hep C, Sovaldi -- but guess what, if you cure your patients, your pool of patients will eventually dry up

https://www.investors.com/news/techn...ck-abbvie-win/
So curing people is a problem? Oh man...
Old Apr 13, 2018, 10:16 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
This is the problem with society. You're inferring so much from a very simple question.

Is it a valid business model?

Because if not, maybe governments (whose job is different than a corporation) should take a more active role in "helping people".

But I certainly think it's reasonable for a company to ask if what they're doing makes business sense.

And I say this as someone who expects to pay for insulin for the rest of my life.
Old Apr 13, 2018, 10:41 pm

Programs: UA Premier Platinum
Like any case where market forces alone would create perverse incentives for private actors, government needs to step in with appropriate regulations to encourage the outcomes that we have collectively decided are desirable.
Old Apr 13, 2018, 11:25 pm

Programs: AS 100K, UA*S, IHG Plat, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond | Formerly: AC Super Elite
Indeed it is -- if I'm a drug company and I can't make enough profits to bankroll research (remember, not all drug research pans out, e.g. https://www.genengnews.com/the-lists...-2017/77901028 ), let's say in the extreme example, the company ends up folding. Now my drug company won't be able to help anybody -- i.e. the argument of how can I help others when I can't even help myself

I don't even want to go into how F'ed things would get if the government tried to "help" ... e.g. SF spends over $200M annually and yet I have to walk past 10 crazy homeless people every day walking 5 blocks to work.

Don't want to get myself banished to OMNI, but just want to highlight that the reality of the world isn't as simple/utopian/idealistic as things "ought" to be -- especially when you start paying taxes at the level that cow and I do ugh
Old Apr 15, 2018, 3:44 am

Programs: Aeroplan
Looks like the new, young Leafs are keeping up the team tradition of choking...

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.