Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Dec 31, 2017, 6:09 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: jc94
This new annual thread has been carved out of the previous thread in an effort to reduce the number of megathreads on the AC forum. For those interested previous versions are the original 2004 - 2014 thread , 2015 edition, 2016 edition and 2017 edition

The original thread started by accident but quickly became a popular place to come and discuss off topic things such as hockey, new movies, or almost anything that wouldn't fit into existing AC forum threads. More Air Canada or Aeroplan topics such as flight feedback, in-flight services issues or mileage earning/redemption are all topics that should go into existing AC forum threads so others can benefit from this information. Topics about hotels or airlines and/or their loyalty programs should be posted elsewhere on FT as should topics better suited to other forums such as Travel Products for questions about luggage or Travel Photography for discussion about cameras.

While the conversation is more relaxed as it would be in a lounge that doesn't mean however that the FT rules don't apply here as they definitely do so please refrain from controversial topics such as politics or religion, avoid profanities and treat other lounge patrons with the same respect you expect.
Print Wikipost

The Forum Lounge Thread (2018)

Search this Thread

Old Feb 22, 2018, 5:49 pm

Programs: TK *G
Originally Posted by rehoult
The first client I ever audited as a CA student remembered me 3.5 years later when he needed a new CFO and called me up. Spent a great 5 years with them, including 2 IFRS conversions and managing $500M+ in litigation, and was recruited to refinance my current company, and was then promoted to CEO when I did that well. Now in the process of selling my current company and will likely end up back in public practice.

The advice I give the auditors every year (who always ask the same question you did) is: Focus on your clients and you'll find a lot of open doors, but if you focus on keeping your boss happy you'll only find one. That I kept my clients happy was skill; that it paid off so early was luck.
Thanks for your advice. I am not in a client facing position, but I still find your advice applicable and valuable to many issues within the company and within the team.
Old Feb 22, 2018, 10:35 pm

Programs: Only J via Peasant Points, 777HDPeasant or The Unexpected Virtue of Ignorance and Narcissism.
Rest in peace
Old Feb 23, 2018, 1:27 am
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AC E50k, A3*G, UA*S, MR Titanium, HHonors Gold, Carlson Gold, NEXUS
So my girlfriend said that she wanted to break up when I move back home after graduating due to the distance... But then when I get a job offer in her city, she tells me not to take it because she wants to break up either way?

At least it makes for a good story to tell my therapist, when I get one
Old Feb 23, 2018, 1:36 am

Programs: AS 100K, UA*S, IHG Plat, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond | Formerly: AC Super Elite
Originally Posted by pewpew
So my girlfriend said that she wanted to break up when I move back home after graduating due to the distance... But then when I get a job offer in her city, she tells me not to take it because she wants to break up either way?

No need for a therapist, just get better game and she'll be coming back to you in no time
Old Feb 23, 2018, 1:54 am

Originally Posted by maradori
No need for a therapist, just get better game and she'll be coming back to you in no time
You ultimately have to ask yourself: how badly do you want to be with this person if playing hard-to-get (which is essentially what "good game" would entail here) is what changes her mind? If I'm considering moving for her, I'd rather not have to deal with that alongside the stress of a move
Old Feb 23, 2018, 3:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE 2MM; UA MP Premier Silver; Marriott Bonvoy LT Titanium Elite; Radisson; Avis PC

So you two are officially splitsville then, right? If not, then time for you to say ok, bye bye.
Old Feb 23, 2018, 3:53 am

Originally Posted by yyznomad
So you two are officially splitsville then, right? If not, then time for you to say ok, bye bye.
Turns out, yeah, she'd broken up with me without me knowing about it lol. Time to download Tinder, I guess...
Old Feb 23, 2018, 4:03 am

Programs: *$ Green
But then when I get a job offer in her city, she tells me not to take it because she wants to break up either way?
This is the point where you should go "oh ok, I get it, that is unfortunate", and then never speak to her again.

​​​​​​
​​​​​
Old Feb 23, 2018, 5:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE 2MM; UA MP Premier Silver; Marriott Bonvoy LT Titanium Elite; Radisson; Avis PC
Originally Posted by SparseFlyer
This is the point where you should go "oh ok, I get it, that is unfortunate", and then never speak to her again.

​​​​​​
​​​​​
Yep. She doesn't deserve @pewpew.
So egu.
pewpew and smallmj like this.
Old Feb 23, 2018, 5:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Not looking good for the men's hockey team right now.
Old Feb 23, 2018, 5:53 am

Programs: FOTSG Tangerine Ex E35k (AC)
Originally Posted by SparseFlyer
​​​​​
Fear so. Used the distance as a reason for something she wanted to do anyway. Hate that sort of dishonesty. Yeah speaking from personal experience.
Old Feb 23, 2018, 5:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by jc94

Fear so. Used the distance as a reason for something she wanted to do anyway. Hate that sort of dishonesty. Yeah speaking from personal experience.
Plus, who says "Imma gonna break up with you, but just not yet"
smallmj likes this.
Old Feb 23, 2018, 6:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Ok, we're really screwed now. Not a total shocker though. Offense has been anemic for most of the tourney. 3-0 for DE 2nd period.
Old Feb 23, 2018, 6:19 am
Moderator, Air Canada; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE MM, FB Plat, WS Plat, BA Silver, DL GM, Marriott Plat, Hilton Gold, Accor Silver
Originally Posted by yyznomad
Not looking good for the men's hockey team right now.
No medals in curling (mixed doubles aside). Women's hockey loss in gold medal game. Men's hockey... Not looking good and we tend to lose bronze medal games because of our "if you're not first, you're last" mentality.

So a pretty poor performance from a couple of areas that should have been strengths for us.
Old Feb 23, 2018, 6:52 am

Programs: AC SE100K, Marriott Lifetime Platinum Elite. NEXUS

Hit your lawyer, delete your gym, get a facebook.
pewpew likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.