Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Dec 31, 2017, 6:09 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: jc94
This new annual thread has been carved out of the previous thread in an effort to reduce the number of megathreads on the AC forum. For those interested previous versions are the original 2004 - 2014 thread , 2015 edition, 2016 edition and 2017 edition

The original thread started by accident but quickly became a popular place to come and discuss off topic things such as hockey, new movies, or almost anything that wouldn't fit into existing AC forum threads. More Air Canada or Aeroplan topics such as flight feedback, in-flight services issues or mileage earning/redemption are all topics that should go into existing AC forum threads so others can benefit from this information. Topics about hotels or airlines and/or their loyalty programs should be posted elsewhere on FT as should topics better suited to other forums such as Travel Products for questions about luggage or Travel Photography for discussion about cameras.

While the conversation is more relaxed as it would be in a lounge that doesn't mean however that the FT rules don't apply here as they definitely do so please refrain from controversial topics such as politics or religion, avoid profanities and treat other lounge patrons with the same respect you expect.
Print Wikipost

The Forum Lounge Thread (2018)

Search this Thread

Old Feb 11, 2018, 3:34 pm

Programs: TK *G
Originally Posted by longtimeflyin
Men don't get a break for schooling programs traditionally occupied and dominated by women. Equality goes both ways. If women want to take on what is traditionally a male job, then work within the constraints and succeed. Posts like this just make me want to sit my daughters down and tell them to stop complaining about how tough they have it.
The recent wave of so called "feminism" is more about some people's self interest rather than the issue itself. If there is no problem to solve, create some and then solve. Blindly enforcing 50/50 in STEM will put women in a much more disadvantageous position in the ling run.

Originally Posted by canadiancow
We had one large project, and most people never worked on it on campus.
We had no research theses.
"Club projects", if I'm reading that right, were not part of any curriculum.

And I think only one of my courses had labs where an IDE would be used, and that was prior to the founding of Github

So this is clearly different based on where/when you went to school, and what program you were in.
We were discouraged from working from computers other than the ones in the lab, as the marker would mark us on lab machines, so there might be some potential compatibility issues. Of course one could ssh or telnet into one of the school computers but that meant working with terminals only, which could be very inconvenient for large projects. Another reason was school computers actually had better hardware than most people's PC. This became pretty important for synthesizing RTL design for FPGAs and deep learning.

As for IDE, the first course we took specifically asked us to us terminal and text editor so that we could learn how to compile and run a program. The second programming course specifically asked us to use IDE and tested on how to use debugger, build projects, etc, on the exam. After that it's our choice to use IDE or text editor. I personally prefer IDE for large projects and text editor for some scripts.
Old Feb 11, 2018, 3:36 pm

Programs: AC E35K, NEXUS
Originally Posted by Jumper Jack
My friend was the only male in the 100 plus size Gender Study course.........
Not wanting to be accused of sexist, but the reality is if you look at certain other programs (like mine), female enrollment is higher than male. Certain things are actually by choice, not necessarily your environment
If you think the environment is not a factor in that choice, I'm not sure whether I think it's your age or gender showing.

My daughter said girls expressing interest in math at her high school were slut shamed (don't even ask me to explain that leap of logic). When I expressed concern to (male) teacher in charge of "civility" at the school, he had nothing to say, invited us to a civility committee to discuss concern, and gave us incorrect date and time. She ended up switching schools and losing interest in STEM, although is now taking HS STEM credits on her own time, concurrent with her university course load.

Encouragement is a huge factor in people seeing themselves in a role and giving themselves permission to do it. For myself, I never gave a fig for role models, and I think that accounts for why I've been the "first" in many things, but with age, I have come to appreciate that not everyone makes decisions and sets goals the same way I do. I think the majority of people's goals are shaped by social norms and visible role models. And while boys have no difficulty finding them in STEM, girls do. Once you put the girls there, for the most part, they are very successful. When I attended national and provincial engineering student conferences, the delegates were almost 50% female -- even in the 70s. Seemingly, girls that got over the environmental hurdles had no difficulty making it into leadership positions.

No one is saying people should be forced into engineering against their will. (Believe me, if that worked, my daughter would be in engineering.) But a lot more needs to be done to help them believe that they are welcome to go into engineering - and I don't even think I could honestly say that is actually the case in every engineering setting. I think the Deans of engineering welcome it, but I don't think all the male students or male co-workers do, or nominally would be okay with the girls themselves, but are not willing to behave in a sufficiently civilized way to not make the women uncomfortable. You have to know the discourse on the forum often veers into that sort of not-for-mixed-company off-colouredness, as an example. Depending on your mom, you might make the same jokes in front of your mom, but if you wouldn't make those jokes in front of MY mom, it's quite possible that those kinds of jokes are the very thing that telegraph to the young women that they're really not going to fit in.

I don't know if that makes any sense, but those are my thoughts from what I assume is a divergent perspective.
Old Feb 11, 2018, 3:45 pm

Programs: Only J via Peasant Points, 777HDPeasant or The Unexpected Virtue of Ignorance and Narcissism.
Edit:
Looking back, I realized that I might have inherent bias, and that my knowledge is insufficient to make such comment on this topic.

Last edited by Jumper Jack; Feb 11, 2018 at 4:10 pm
Old Feb 11, 2018, 3:54 pm

Originally Posted by Jumper Jack
My issue now is the blind following of 50/50 while not considering the fact it goes way deeper than that.

I also have a significant issue with cherry picking of equality, if we want 50/50 in STEM, the same should be applied to every faculty (Yes, even the ones dominated by female demo)
The 50/50 thing is more or less politically motivated for some people's self interest, it has nothing to do with the gender imbalance itself. And as I mentioned, pouring females into an environment not yet fit for them and creating unfairness for others will only make the situation worse in the long run.
quantumofforce likes this.
Old Feb 11, 2018, 5:04 pm

Programs: AC E35K, NEXUS
Another thing to bear in mind is that people who are not in an underrepresented demographic often perceive affirmative action programs for work or academic programs as advantaging people other than them. (Indeed, that was the underlying motivation behind the 6 Dec 1989 Montreal massacre.) In my experience as a deaf person, as a female person, and as a deaf female person, affirmative action is often an illusion, a fiction we tell ourselves to deny what we are actually doing. The diverse candidates may be shortlisted, but in the final selection, it comes down to "the best candidate" using a rating scheme that is often anchored to unconscious criteria that favour the traditional norm. That said, even being shortlisted is not a sure thing, even with the equity statement. I was told once that I was had been cut from a shortlist because the search committee didn't want to have a rejected "equity" candidate sue for discrimination so better to not look at me in the first place. It says something that despite all this rhetoric about wanting more women in STEM (that dates back at least 40 years), that we are still so far away. Those of you who are not females aspiring to STEM have nothing to worry about.
rehoult and quantumofforce like this.
Old Feb 11, 2018, 9:17 pm

Originally Posted by YYC traveler
I was in engineering and married a classmate. Best decision ever.
Congratulations, glad to hear happy stories!

Originally Posted by songsc
Things are changing very fast since the last three years. Now many universities are aggressively admitting female students into STEM. The goal is to eventually reach 50/50.
Are they doing so in female dominated fields for the men?

Originally Posted by smallmj
Why? Because all reasons not to are bunk.
Citation please!

In places where there has been the maximum energy to make all things balanced between the sexes (ie Scandinavian countries) STEM enrollment is still naturally lower for females. Likewise, men are less likely to be nurses.

A very short answer to gender ratio in STEM is funding. Not balanced? No funding. Some universities are converting lectures into "teaching stream professors" so that the gender ratio for faculty members is balanced. As for students, if there aren't enough domestic female applicants, find some international students to fill the gap. Top ranked universities never lack applicants, the acceptance rate for U of T Engineering in my year was like 13%. Unfortunately, in STEM field 50/50 is more of a financial decision than anything else.

Speaking of feminism, to me it is more about understanding women and thinking for women rather than simply achieving 50/50.
forcing balancing is forcing discrimination. I love how the next paragraph you talk about understanding women and not simply achieving 50/50... after pushing 50/50 splits.
jc94 and longtimeflyin like this.
Old Feb 11, 2018, 10:11 pm

Programs: Ice Cream Club, AC SE MM, Bonvoy Life Plat
Why do I see Ben Smith when I see Patrick Chan?
quantumofforce likes this.
Old Feb 11, 2018, 10:19 pm

Originally Posted by quantumofforce
Are they doing so in female dominated fields for the men?
Of course not. Advocating male rights won't buy as much votes.

forcing balancing is forcing discrimination. I love how the next paragraph you talk about understanding women and not simply achieving 50/50... after pushing 50/50 splits.
I am not pushing for 50/50 splits. I am just suggesting that universities have no choice but getting in enough female students and faculty members in STEM. Funding is linked to gender ratio.

My undergrad supervisor (a research stream professor, department associate chair) complained about the quality of incoming students getting lower and lower, and my friends doing TA suggested the same. When I interview students who took the same courses only a couple years after I took them, I am shocked at how easy those courses have become. Forcing balancing is much more than forcing discrimination.
Old Feb 11, 2018, 10:42 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by DrunkCargo
Why do I see Ben Smith when I see Patrick Chan?
I guess kinda maybe?

But why do I find it amusing that you have Ben on your mind
longtimeflyin likes this.
Old Feb 11, 2018, 11:07 pm

Of course not. Advocating male rights won't buy as much votes.
Good to see the voters are sexist in the opposite way they claim society is .

I am not pushing for 50/50 splits. I am just suggesting that universities have no choice but getting in enough female students and faculty members in STEM. Funding is linked to gender ratio.
linking funding to gender ratio is discrimination. Linking it to money pretty much guarantees it will be twisted and corrupted over time . How about just allow the best and the brightest in? You know, merit based acceptance.
Old Feb 12, 2018, 1:05 am

Programs: Ice Cream Club, AC SE MM, Bonvoy Life Plat
Originally Posted by canadiancow
I guess kinda maybe?

But why do I find it amusing that you have Ben on your mind
He's always on my mind... You know what they say about big ears...
canadiancow likes this.
Old Feb 12, 2018, 6:48 am

Programs: FOTSG Tangerine Ex E35k (AC)
linking funding to gender ratio is discrimination. Linking it to money pretty much guarantees it will be twisted and corrupted over time . How about just allow the best and the brightest in? You know, merit based acceptance.
And this is the issue looking at schools or work. If I have 5 candidates I’m hiring the person best for the job (whatever that means, communication, technical ability, best fit, whatever) regardless of gender. I shouldn’t have to hire an inferior applicant just to try and get 50% splits.

And odds are, in most fields you won’t get an even split if candidates so you end up with an uneven split.

I’ve seen several batches of new starters. I’ve never actually seen a bad female employee from those batches. But we’re also taking about 20% of the entire hiring pool. If we’d done a 50/50 split (basically hiring every female applicant and in some cases not filling spots until we had more apply) I have my doubts that would still be the case.

Likewise in teaching and nursing. Should every male applicant be accepted?
Old Feb 12, 2018, 7:02 am

Programs: AC SE100K, Marriott Lifetime Platinum Elite. NEXUS
How about just allow the best and the brightest in? You know, merit based acceptance.
Right off, that statement is problematic. How do you accurately measure the "best and the brightest"? Be it a job interview, or a university acceptance board, some candidates momentary skill level isn't the whole story. Canada doesn't generally have standardized tests, so someones report card says as much about their diverse teachers as it does them. If we did have SAT's, then someones SAT's scores could/does/might measure their skill and knowlage today, again as much a reflection on their school as them, but says nothing about what they would be like 6 months in, after some due coaching and mentoring.

Ditto with job interviews. Someone might know the language and platform, but not get agile, and generally be toxic and miserable. Maybe an alternative candidate has 0 real world experience in wiring code, but is willing to do QA, so you hire them on at half the price of the toxic ....... and get them to do QA in your corporate environment that doesn't allow QA types within 5 time zones; in 6 months they can do enough junior coding skills to carry their official weight.

I think - I know - that I've had people take chances on me. So I know there are good gatekeepers out there. I also know that my SEO skills are such that for either of those jobs if I went through the rigorous HR programs, I'd still be holding a stop sign on the side of the road.

So, even momentarily, "best and brightest" doesn't work now. I'll grant, however, that even given the above problems, the gatekeeper can only evaluate who is in front of them. Good gatekeepers already look past the momentary strengths of those in front of them, and a lot of good candidates were filtered out by the robots, be it regular expressions or HR drones.

The the harder question, the real question, is where does the responsibility lay for getting better and brighter people in that place to be evaluated by a gatekeeper?
Old Feb 12, 2018, 7:17 am
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AC E50k, A3*G, UA*S, MR Titanium, HHonors Gold, Carlson Gold, NEXUS
That awkward moment when you realize you're consistently the last one in and the first one out of lab.

But I get my work done early, so I've got that going for me
Old Feb 12, 2018, 8:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by flyquiet

Encouragement is a huge factor in people seeing themselves in a role and giving themselves permission to do it. For myself, I never gave a fig for role models, and I think that accounts for why I've been the "first" in many things, but with age, I have come to appreciate that not everyone makes decisions and sets goals the same way I do. I think the majority of people's goals are shaped by social norms and visible role models. And while boys have no difficulty finding them in STEM, girls do. Once you put the girls there, for the most part, they are very successful. When I attended national and provincial engineering student conferences, the delegates were almost 50% female -- even in the 70s. Seemingly, girls that got over the environmental hurdles had no difficulty making it into leadership positions.
While rle models is not necessarily a universal "solution," often it's a key factor. I strongly suspect most female engineering students have one parent who is an engineer.

No one is saying people should be forced into engineering against their will. (Believe me, if that worked, my daughter would be in engineering.) But a lot more needs to be done to help them believe that they are welcome to go into engineering - and I don't even think I could honestly say that is actually the case in every engineering setting. I think the Deans of engineering welcome it, but I don't think all the male students or male co-workers do, or nominally would be okay with the girls themselves, but are not willing to behave in a sufficiently civilized way to not make the women uncomfortable. You have to know the discourse on the forum often veers into that sort of not-for-mixed-company off-colouredness, as an example. Depending on your mom, you might make the same jokes in front of your mom, but if you wouldn't make those jokes in front of MY mom, it's quite possible that those kinds of jokes are the very thing that telegraph to the young women that they're really not going to fit in.
I don't think the environment at universities is a major issue at this point. And yes, deans absolutely nurture female engineering students. I continue strongly believing that the real problem is that by the time for admission, a large majority of the females are no longer qualified for admission, by virtue of having given up on math and science.

I don't know if that makes any sense, but those are my thoughts from what I assume is a divergent perspective.
I don't think it is.

BTW about affirmative action and the like, I like to joke with our friend in charge of diversity that one group that is truly underrepresented nowadays is straight white males. Which is actually true, but eh, who cares. In other words, ethnic "diversity" is a nice euphemism nowadays. Real issue is females, and I suppose first nations.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.