Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Dec 31, 2017, 6:09 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: jc94
This new annual thread has been carved out of the previous thread in an effort to reduce the number of megathreads on the AC forum. For those interested previous versions are the original 2004 - 2014 thread , 2015 edition, 2016 edition and 2017 edition

The original thread started by accident but quickly became a popular place to come and discuss off topic things such as hockey, new movies, or almost anything that wouldn't fit into existing AC forum threads. More Air Canada or Aeroplan topics such as flight feedback, in-flight services issues or mileage earning/redemption are all topics that should go into existing AC forum threads so others can benefit from this information. Topics about hotels or airlines and/or their loyalty programs should be posted elsewhere on FT as should topics better suited to other forums such as Travel Products for questions about luggage or Travel Photography for discussion about cameras.

While the conversation is more relaxed as it would be in a lounge that doesn't mean however that the FT rules don't apply here as they definitely do so please refrain from controversial topics such as politics or religion, avoid profanities and treat other lounge patrons with the same respect you expect.
Print Wikipost

The Forum Lounge Thread (2018)

Search this Thread

Old Jan 23, 2018, 2:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE 2MM; UA MP Premier Silver; Marriott Bonvoy LT Titanium Elite; Radisson; Avis PC
Originally Posted by Jumper Jack
What ever happened to the so called "epic DO" ?
You're more than welcome to organize it.
canadiancow likes this.
Old Jan 23, 2018, 2:57 pm

Programs: TK *G
Originally Posted by smallmj
Right now eating is one of the few remaining joys in my life, so I'm going to say not...
Think about it this way, by loose weight you will have more joys in your life. That's how I convinced myself doing things I don't like. Mileage runs for example
Old Jan 23, 2018, 3:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE 2MM; UA MP Premier Silver; Marriott Bonvoy LT Titanium Elite; Radisson; Avis PC
Originally Posted by ffsim
Despite him having traded the most charismatic and adored player in a generation during that offseason, he had just played a role in helping Canada win the World Cup of Hockey, so I congratulated him on that accomplishment. I also wished him luck for the following season. That he hasn't had an ounce of luck since that handshake is remarkably rewarding for me, even though as a fan I'd prefer to have the Habs win rather than lose.

It's just become clear that we stand no chance of winning with the Old Boys' Club in charge.
Every time he does a press conference, I always feel like he has some "smarminess" to him, but I guess that's just me. But then again, to be a good deucebag, you need to dress well, think everyone else is an idiot, and not give a damn what they think of you. So he makes for a good deucebag.
Old Jan 23, 2018, 3:33 pm

Programs: Ice Cream Club, AC SE MM, Bonvoy Life Plat
I'm dry for the next half year!
Old Jan 23, 2018, 3:41 pm

Programs: DL, AC, Bonvoy, Accor, Hilton
Originally Posted by SKYEG
I've never gotten a MTM suit in BKK but my friend loves to. His younger brother is getting married in June and they want to buy custom suits for their whole wedding party(5 including groom).

They want to fly me out ICN-BKK(I can work remotely) sometime in Feb for a June 6th wedding to go to a tailor, buy them, make sure I do QC and then ship them out. Seems like a pretty good deal as I get some sun and a free mileage run.

I had some questions:

1. Since it's a wedding and all suits(except groom) will be the same, using 1 tailor would be the best? How much time would this take though, five suits one tailor? Not sure I want to stay in BKK for 2 weeks...
2. How much does shipping generally cost per suit?
3. $300-$500 budget will get you better than a custom Indochino MTM in Canada? Or is that price range going to get you even worse than a $1000 Hugo Boss at Harry Rosen/Holt Renfrew off the rack(Not very good IMO).
4. Is it even safe for me to fly there, pick fabrics and measurements and just fly out and get them to ship? I feel like doing QC is important as it needs to be shipped to Canada.

Thanks for the help!
I strongly counsel against this. Over the years, I have purchased suits in BKK and elsewhere. The tailoring is poor and the shortcuts are obvious. You can actually get similar quality and a much better fit from a place like Moores for a similar price. If you want a properly made suit, there are only a handful of shops who do that and you pay for the quality. No savings to be had because good fabric and good craftsmanship still costs. The reality remains that if you want a proper suit in SE Asia, one must go to Hong Kong and again, you pay for that quality.

Here are some of the corners they cut, even at some of the better shops;
- Use of paper as lining and not felt
-Use of recycled cuttings or rags for inner structure or padding
- Substitution of fabric following selection.
- Poor quality buttons and fasteners
- Failure to sew seams properly.
- Use of damaged or weave defective fabric in hard to see locations. That weave falls apart faster.
Old Jan 23, 2018, 3:44 pm

Programs: FOTSG Tangerine Ex E35k (AC)
Originally Posted by marke190
Luckily I haven't done Rouge, but I think I'd have to say 7M8 Y is worse than 777 Y
What is 7M8?

I’ve done 12/12 with about a 2h gap in Y middle seats (middle seat in middle section of widebody) before. I can’t recall how many across it was, but wasn’t pleasant. The guy I was travelling with was in a middle seat in another area of the plane (also Y).
Old Jan 23, 2018, 3:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by jc94

What is 7M8?

The Boeing 737 MAX-8 thingy.
Old Jan 23, 2018, 3:45 pm

Programs: Ice Cream Club, AC SE MM, Bonvoy Life Plat
Originally Posted by Transpacificflyer
... clip Suits Asia...
Yep. Have your bespoke master tailor fly to you quarterly for measurements and a book of fabrics... order... drop in for fittings every several weeks until satisfied... then, firm up the order and hope you don't gain 5 inches before the order is filled. Suits I buy abroad I leave abroad... lost baggage?
Old Jan 23, 2018, 3:54 pm

Originally Posted by yyznomad
The Boeing 737 MAX-8 thingy.
Oh. 2-4-2 replacing 2-3-2 I assume. Can’t recall tbh.
I did find the 787 Y better in width than the 777HD despite being told the width is the same (I think it’s actually 0.3” / .76cm better which seems negligible).

Still it can’t get any worse right ... they can’t get 4-4 or 5 in the middle. 15” would just be too narrow?
Old Jan 23, 2018, 4:18 pm

Programs: Aeroplan

No, the 7M8 is replacing the A320 series, so it is 3-3, but slightly narrower than the Airbus 3-3. The kicker is that the seat pitch in Y reportedly Rouge-like.
Old Jan 23, 2018, 4:38 pm

I did find the 787 Y better in width than the 777HD despite being told the width is the same (I think it’s actually 0.3” / .76cm better which seems negligible).

Still it can’t get any worse right ... they can’t get 4-4 or 5 in the middle. 15” would just be too narrow?
You never know. When 747 was fitted for 3-3-3 back then, nobody thought it would go 3-4-3. I wouldn't be surprised that A380 go with 3-5-3 one day.

Speaking about seat width, I have definitely see and experienced something less than 15'', not on the airplane though. The airport express in HKG provides shuttle buses (Toyota mini van) which has 2-2 seating where it's 2-1 pretty much everywhere else. The bus was full but thankfully it's a short 10 minute ride. I also heard that some bus operators fit 3-2 seating on buses with similar width to Greyhound and GO bus.
Old Jan 23, 2018, 7:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

@SparseFlyer

Love your posts. Big fan. Like totally ookii fan. Like sugoi yo.
Old Jan 23, 2018, 7:43 pm

Originally Posted by songsc
You never know. When 747 was fitted for 3-3-3 back then, nobody thought it would go 3-4-3. I wouldn't be surprised that A380 go with 3-5-3 one day.

Speaking about seat width, I have definitely see and experienced something less than 15'', not on the airplane though. The airport express in HKG provides shuttle buses (Toyota mini van) which has 2-2 seating where it's 2-1 pretty much everywhere else. The bus was full but thankfully it's a short 10 minute ride. I also heard that some bus operators fit 3-2 seating on buses with similar width to Greyhound and GO bus.
I should measure the TTC seats. Mind you even they beat Southern Rail in the UK. Essex London routes. These are all sub hour routes of course.

But as long as it’s cheap right.
Old Jan 23, 2018, 8:30 pm

I should measure the TTC seats. Mind you even they beat Southern Rail in the UK. Essex London routes. These are all sub hour routes of course.

But as long as it’s cheap right.
The seats on TTC subway is getting smaller. I remember back in 2011 the H4 series trains (manufactured in the 70s) had leather seats with soft padding, then there are the red colour seats with very thin padding on H5, H6, and T1 trains, but at least the width is ok. The seat width on Toronto Rocket trains is reduced so that they can "fit more people". It would be interesting to compare it with ACr, or 7M8 Y.
Old Jan 24, 2018, 1:30 am

Originally Posted by smallmj
Right now eating is one of the few remaining joys in my life, so I'm going to say not...
Please find more joys in life, it is a wonderful world, all you have to do is look.
ffsim and pewpew like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.