Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Dec 31, 2017, 6:09 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: jc94
This new annual thread has been carved out of the previous thread in an effort to reduce the number of megathreads on the AC forum. For those interested previous versions are the original 2004 - 2014 thread , 2015 edition, 2016 edition and 2017 edition

The original thread started by accident but quickly became a popular place to come and discuss off topic things such as hockey, new movies, or almost anything that wouldn't fit into existing AC forum threads. More Air Canada or Aeroplan topics such as flight feedback, in-flight services issues or mileage earning/redemption are all topics that should go into existing AC forum threads so others can benefit from this information. Topics about hotels or airlines and/or their loyalty programs should be posted elsewhere on FT as should topics better suited to other forums such as Travel Products for questions about luggage or Travel Photography for discussion about cameras.

While the conversation is more relaxed as it would be in a lounge that doesn't mean however that the FT rules don't apply here as they definitely do so please refrain from controversial topics such as politics or religion, avoid profanities and treat other lounge patrons with the same respect you expect.
Print Wikipost

The Forum Lounge Thread (2018)

Search this Thread

Old Jan 15, 2018, 3:15 pm

Programs: Only J via Peasant Points, 777HDPeasant or The Unexpected Virtue of Ignorance and Narcissism.
Originally Posted by yyznomad
But he does dump his JW Blue into his Coke Zero.
Absolute barbaric
Old Jan 15, 2018, 3:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE 2MM; UA MP Premier Silver; Marriott Bonvoy LT Titanium Elite; Radisson; Avis PC
Originally Posted by Jumper Jack
Absolute barbaric
Downright blasphemous.
Old Jan 15, 2018, 3:28 pm

Programs: AC SE MM, Bonvoy Plat, Hilton G,Nexus, Amex MR Plat,IHG Plat
Downright blasphemous.
Bring out the feathers and tar ?
Old Jan 15, 2018, 3:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE 2MM; UA MP Premier Silver; Marriott Bonvoy LT Titanium Elite; Radisson; Avis PC
Originally Posted by vernonc
Bring out the feathers and tar ?
Nah, he might actually enjoy that.
canadiancow likes this.
Old Jan 15, 2018, 4:36 pm

Programs: AC SE100K, F9 100k, NK Gold, UA *S, Hyatt Glob, Bonvoy Titanium
Originally Posted by canadiancow
That being said, I'd be happy to take one off your hands

Probably over 70# with packing. Can SE100k get an exemption if it's the first in 300 AC fights where we check a bag/box?

I've had mine since about 2002, and it was being phased out at the time. Breakroom employees who barely can make coffee were expected to install new 1L syrup boxes as needed.

Coffee distributors were supposed to mark up the syrup/co2 but then it cost too much. I have a coin mechanism on mine at home for fun.

As far as perfecly mixed, yes, the whole machine is German engineered by Siemens. In order to get Coca Cola's approval the temperature and mix had to be exact.

They are still supplied in Germany called the Minipom. But 220v motors and electrical there.

$50-65 for 5gal of post-mix syrup concentrate is not much cheaper than 2L bottles.. But that is in line with what small restaurants etc pay for syrup.

There is also a very long running Breakmate thread on yahoo groups with lots of info.
Old Jan 15, 2018, 5:16 pm

Programs: AC SE (*A Gold), Bonvoy Platinum Elite, Hilton Gold, Amex Platinum / AP Reserve, NEXUS, Global Entry
Absolute barbaric
Downright blasphemous.
Wait a sec.... are the three of us actually in complete agreement??

Old Jan 15, 2018, 5:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by ffsim

How dare you agree with us.
Old Jan 15, 2018, 5:44 pm

Programs: AC SE100K, F9 100k, NK Gold, UA *S, Hyatt Glob, Bonvoy Titanium
Originally Posted by ffsim

So JW Blue shouldn't be mixed with Coke Zero. Maybe Diet Rite, or Diet President's Choice cola?

// Enjoyed some free samples at a big JW Blue duty free store display at NRT the other day. So I now think the right way to enjoy is straight out of half filled plastic sample cups.
Old Jan 15, 2018, 5:50 pm

Programs: AC SE (*A Gold), Bonvoy Platinum Elite, Hilton Gold, Amex Platinum / AP Reserve, NEXUS, Global Entry
Originally Posted by expert7700
// Enjoyed some free samples at a big JW Blue duty free store display at NRT the other day. So I now think the right way to enjoy is straight out of half filled plastic sample cups.
It shouldn’t be mixed with anything at all, except perhaps a drop or two of distilled water.

Even plastic standard cups are preferable to cola. Mixing with cola is soooooo expert0001
Old Jan 15, 2018, 5:57 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
Probably over 70# with packing. Can SE100k get an exemption if it's the first in 300 AC fights where we check a bag/box?

I've had mine since about 2002, and it was being phased out at the time. Breakroom employees who barely can make coffee were expected to install new 1L syrup boxes as needed.

Coffee distributors were supposed to mark up the syrup/co2 but then it cost too much. I have a coin mechanism on mine at home for fun.

As far as perfecly mixed, yes, the whole machine is German engineered by Siemens. In order to get Coca Cola's approval the temperature and mix had to be exact.

They are still supplied in Germany called the Minipom. But 220v motors and electrical there.

$50-65 for 5gal of post-mix syrup concentrate is not much cheaper than 2L bottles.. But that is in line with what small restaurants etc pay for syrup.

There is also a very long running Breakmate thread on yahoo groups with lots of info.
Can it be "broken apart" into multiple pieces? We can check 3 70 pound bags on AC
Old Jan 15, 2018, 6:01 pm

Programs: Only J via Peasant Points, 777HDPeasant or The Unexpected Virtue of Ignorance and Narcissism.
Well to be honest I had never had JW Blue before.....The first time when I had JW Black on-board, was back in July when I was with cow to SFO (he showed a FOTSG that AC actually have black label for TCON J)..
Needless to say it has become my go to drink now..(but with actual coke and lime lol)

Last edited by Jumper Jack; Jan 15, 2018 at 6:07 pm
Old Jan 15, 2018, 6:11 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
Well to be honest I had never had JW Blue before.....The first time when I had JW Black on-board, was back in July when I was with cow to SFO (he showed a FOTSG that AC actually have black label for TCON J)..
Needless to say it has become my go to drink now..(but with actual coke and lime lol)
All mainline flights have JW Black in both Y and J.
Old Jan 15, 2018, 6:12 pm

Originally Posted by canadiancow
All mainline flights have JW Black in both Y and J.
Mercifully (sometimes).
Old Jan 15, 2018, 6:35 pm

Programs: UA Premier Platinum
Blue Label is good but like everything JW, it's priced about double what it's worth. Lots of scotches that run $100-150 for 0.75L in Canada are of higher quality. If you're an airline that is willing to pay for Blue Label, you should probably also have staple single malts like Lagavulin, Oban, Scapa, etc that are much cheaper and will be enjoyed by whisky fans.

Gold Label is what you probably should serve in international J if you're an airline that wants to serve something good that appeals to a wide audience and isn't overly expensive.

Black Label is drinkable neat if you must, but not something you'll savour before swallowing. If it's the best whisky you serve in international J, you need to improve your offering.

Let's not talk about Red Label except in conjunction with Coke.
ffsim likes this.
Old Jan 15, 2018, 8:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by eigenvector
Blue Label is good but like everything JW, it's priced about double what it's worth. Lots of scotches that run $100-150 for 0.75L in Canada are of higher quality. If you're an airline that is willing to pay for Blue Label, you should probably also have staple single malts like Lagavulin, Oban, Scapa, etc that are much cheaper and will be enjoyed by whisky fans.

Gold Label is what you probably should serve in international J if you're an airline that wants to serve something good that appeals to a wide audience and isn't overly expensive.

Black Label is drinkable neat if you must, but not something you'll savour before swallowing. If it's the best whisky you serve in international J, you need to improve your offering.

Let's not talk about Red Label except in conjunction with Coke.
Not all countries, like Canada, have the Gold Label anymore, which was the previous 18-year equivalent, which became Platinum, and now JW 18. So I'd say just serve the equivalent of a 15 or 18-year old to put them slightly above notch from the other NA airlines. Green became Gold Reserve.

(But based on what you wrote, I think you already knew this, so I'm being pedantic)

Last edited by yyznomad; Jan 15, 2018 at 8:27 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.