Old Dec 31, 17, 6:09 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: jc94
This new annual thread has been carved out of the previous thread in an effort to reduce the number of megathreads on the AC forum. For those interested previous versions are the original 2004 - 2014 thread , 2015 edition, 2016 edition and 2017 edition

The original thread started by accident but quickly became a popular place to come and discuss off topic things such as hockey, new movies, or almost anything that wouldn't fit into existing AC forum threads. More Air Canada or Aeroplan topics such as flight feedback, in-flight services issues or mileage earning/redemption are all topics that should go into existing AC forum threads so others can benefit from this information. Topics about hotels or airlines and/or their loyalty programs should be posted elsewhere on FT as should topics better suited to other forums such as Travel Products for questions about luggage or Travel Photography for discussion about cameras.

While the conversation is more relaxed as it would be in a lounge that doesn't mean however that the FT rules don't apply here as they definitely do so please refrain from controversial topics such as politics or religion, avoid profanities and treat other lounge patrons with the same respect you expect.
Print Wikipost

The Forum Lounge Thread (2018)

Old Jan 10, 18, 2:04 pm
  #106  
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: YVR - MILLS Waypoint (It's the third house on the left)
Programs: AC*SE100K, wood level status in various other programs
Posts: 5,736
Originally Posted by pewpew
Medical school. I guess on the bright side, I've been getting rejected before accumulating $200K of debt towards an MD...
That's an optimistic perspective for sure.
Bohemian1 is online now  
Old Jan 10, 18, 2:09 pm
  #107  
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Location: YYZ
Programs: Only J via Peasant Points, 777HDPeasant or The Unexpected Virtue of Ignorance and Narcissism.
Posts: 5,772
Originally Posted by pewpew
Today morning, I got a waitlist letter from the only place that's interviewed me so far. Half an hour ago, a rejection. Two minutes ago, another rejection. Is it too late to start looking for a post-grad job?
Maybe is always better than no.
Most big corps already completed their recruiting during the Fall (Mid-November ish), but there might be a few slipping through the cracks that will come online about now
Jumper Jack is online now  
Old Jan 10, 18, 2:49 pm
  #108  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: YVR
Programs: AC SE 2MM; UA MP Premier Silver; Marriott Bonvoy LT Titanium Elite; Radisson
Posts: 34,979
Bah. I just found my MSCI 261 course book.
canadiancow likes this.
yyznomad is offline  
Old Jan 10, 18, 2:56 pm
  #109  
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: SFO
Programs: AC SE MM, UA Gold, Bonvoy Tit LT Sil, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond, Accor Silver
Posts: 42,975
Originally Posted by yyznomad
Bah. I just found my MSCI 261 course book.
LOL OMG

The guy who taught that course to my class (I'm hesitant to call him anything more formal than "the guy") was hilarious. Not in a good way. In a "I could really use some formal training on how to present things to large groups" kind of way.
canadiancow is offline  
Old Jan 10, 18, 3:05 pm
  #110  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: YVR
Programs: AC SE 2MM; UA MP Premier Silver; Marriott Bonvoy LT Titanium Elite; Radisson
Posts: 34,979
Originally Posted by canadiancow
LOL OMG

The guy who taught that course to my class (I'm hesitant to call him anything more formal than "the guy") was hilarious. Not in a good way. In a "I could really use some formal training on how to present things to large groups" kind of way.
Who was it?

We had Beth Jewkes.
yyznomad is offline  
Old Jan 10, 18, 3:37 pm
  #111  
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: SFO
Programs: AC SE MM, UA Gold, Bonvoy Tit LT Sil, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond, Accor Silver
Posts: 42,975
Originally Posted by yyznomad
Who was it?

We had Beth Jewkes.
How do I look that up?
canadiancow is offline  
Old Jan 10, 18, 4:03 pm
  #112  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: YVR
Programs: AC SE 2MM; UA MP Premier Silver; Marriott Bonvoy LT Titanium Elite; Radisson
Posts: 34,979
Originally Posted by canadiancow
How do I look that up?
https://uwflow.com/course/msci261

Scroll down to "16 Professors"

Given that all you remember is "that guy", none of them might not ring a bell.
yyznomad is offline  
Old Jan 10, 18, 4:20 pm
  #113  
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: SFO
Programs: AC SE MM, UA Gold, Bonvoy Tit LT Sil, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond, Accor Silver
Posts: 42,975
Originally Posted by yyznomad
https://uwflow.com/course/msci261

Scroll down to "16 Professors"

Given that all you remember is "that guy", none of them might not ring a bell.
I meant "that guy" more that it was too generous to call him an "instructor".

None of the names on that site match mine. I suspect I have exam copies lying around in Toronto (?) that would have his name.

I took it in Spring 2007 if that helps \_(ツ)_/
canadiancow is offline  
Old Jan 10, 18, 4:27 pm
  #114  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: YVR
Programs: AC SE 2MM; UA MP Premier Silver; Marriott Bonvoy LT Titanium Elite; Radisson
Posts: 34,979
Originally Posted by canadiancow
I meant "that guy" more that it was too generous to call him an "instructor".

None of the names on that site match mine. I suspect I have exam copies lying around in Toronto (?) that would have his name.

I took it in Spring 2007 if that helps \_(ツ)_/
Yeah I knew what you meant.

It's difficult to come by good professors. Many of mine were more focused on research.
yyznomad is offline  
Old Jan 10, 18, 4:59 pm
  #115  
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: SFO
Programs: AC SE MM, UA Gold, Bonvoy Tit LT Sil, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond, Accor Silver
Posts: 42,975
Originally Posted by yyznomad
Yeah I knew what you meant.

It's difficult to come by good professors. Many of mine were more focused on research.
I had a few that were primarily research-focused, but also good instructors.

And I can remember every one of their names
canadiancow is offline  
Old Jan 10, 18, 5:05 pm
  #116  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: YVR
Programs: AC SE 2MM; UA MP Premier Silver; Marriott Bonvoy LT Titanium Elite; Radisson
Posts: 34,979
Originally Posted by canadiancow
I had a few that were primarily research-focused, but also good instructors.

And I can remember every one of their names
They exist, but I maintain that such a combo is rare.

I just found a stash of other notes including GenE 123 Lab Notes.
yyznomad is offline  
Old Jan 10, 18, 9:57 pm
  #117  
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Location: YYZ
Programs: Only J via Peasant Points, 777HDPeasant or The Unexpected Virtue of Ignorance and Narcissism.
Posts: 5,772
TFW you watch the UBC Food Service girl caughes on her hand, then proceeded to use the same hand to put lettuce on your food.............
but you are too nice to embarrass her and already super sick to care lol
Jumper Jack is online now  
Old Jan 10, 18, 10:37 pm
  #118  
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: YVR
Programs: SE 100K
Posts: 862
Originally Posted by pewpew
Medical school. I guess on the bright side, I've been getting rejected before accumulating $200K of debt towards an MD...
Sorry to hear dude. Ever considered the graduate entry programs in Ireland or the UK?
DM me if you want.
CanadianMike is offline  
Old Jan 11, 18, 1:31 am
  #119  
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Why? Why? Zed! / Why? You? Elle! / Gee! Are You!
Programs: Irrelevant
Posts: 3,543
Oops, I did it again!

A few jager bombs, several rounds of dice, more Tito's than I care to admit, flights to YVR, CUN, RWS and a combination of fixed and market rewards in Y and J resulted in 428k AP points gone!

The only take-away I have from tonight is that bringing a laptop to the bar is a bad idea.
jaysona is offline  
Old Jan 11, 18, 2:00 am
  #120  
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: sqrt(-united states of apologist)
Programs: *$ Green
Posts: 5,402
Originally Posted by jaysona
A few jager bombs, several rounds of dice, more Tito's than I care to admit, flights to YVR, CUN, RWS and a combination of fixed and market rewards in Y and J resulted in 428k AP points gone!

The only take-away I have from tonight is that bringing a laptop to the bar is a bad idea.
YVR on the rocks? lol
SparseFlyer is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2023 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.