Old Dec 31, 2017, 6:09 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: jc94
This new annual thread has been carved out of the previous thread in an effort to reduce the number of megathreads on the AC forum. For those interested previous versions are the original 2004 - 2014 thread , 2015 edition, 2016 edition and 2017 edition

The original thread started by accident but quickly became a popular place to come and discuss off topic things such as hockey, new movies, or almost anything that wouldn't fit into existing AC forum threads. More Air Canada or Aeroplan topics such as flight feedback, in-flight services issues or mileage earning/redemption are all topics that should go into existing AC forum threads so others can benefit from this information. Topics about hotels or airlines and/or their loyalty programs should be posted elsewhere on FT as should topics better suited to other forums such as Travel Products for questions about luggage or Travel Photography for discussion about cameras.

While the conversation is more relaxed as it would be in a lounge that doesn't mean however that the FT rules don't apply here as they definitely do so please refrain from controversial topics such as politics or religion, avoid profanities and treat other lounge patrons with the same respect you expect.
Print Wikipost

The Forum Lounge Thread (2018)

Old Jan 4, 2018, 9:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by yyznomad
@YOWkid you need to post here more often dude!
I guess you're not flying as much anymore...
I try to keep a low profile...
Old Jan 5, 2018, 5:12 am

Programs: UA Premier Platinum
Ugh, sudden rainstorm here in Israel and despite keeping my passport in a freezer bag as I always do, some moisture got to the ID page causing a big red spot on the reverse side of my photo which I assume is a security feature. Why me...
Old Jan 5, 2018, 9:48 am

Programs: AC SE (*A Gold), Bonvoy Platinum Elite, Hilton Gold, Amex Platinum / AP Reserve, NEXUS, Global Entry
Originally Posted by eigenvector
Ugh, sudden rainstorm here in Israel and despite keeping my passport in a freezer bag as I always do, some moisture got to the ID page causing a big red spot on the reverse side of my photo which I assume is a security feature. Why me...
It's ok, they're not known for being too security-conscious out there. Oh, wait.........

I just realized I *never* have my passport in anything more protective than an RFID sleeve, and I almost always keep it in my front pocket. What do the more well-travelled among us do? Hotel safe? Freezer-bag in pocket? Travel belt?

In other words, considering how important a travel document passports are to us, is it better to keep it nearby or lock it in a hotel room?
Old Jan 5, 2018, 12:47 pm

Programs: FOTSG Tangerine Ex E35k (AC)
Originally Posted by ffsim
It's ok, they're not known for being too security-conscious out there. Oh, wait.........

I just realized I *never* have my passport in anything more protective than an RFID sleeve, and I almost always keep it in my front pocket. What do the more well-travelled among us do? Hotel safe? Freezer-bag in pocket? Travel belt?

In other words, considering how important a travel document passports are to us, is it better to keep it nearby or lock it in a hotel room?
For years I travelled with a travel belt with it and cash in, was such a pain especially in warm countries. The only redeeming value was I had it on me at Machu Picchu to stamp it.
These days it's RFID inside bag, and then normally locked in the safe or buried with cash in the same wallet in my locked suitcase once at destination.
Old Jan 5, 2018, 12:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE 2MM; UA MP Premier Silver; Marriott Bonvoy LT Titanium Elite; Radisson
That sucks.

That's all I got.
eigenvector likes this.
Old Jan 5, 2018, 12:59 pm

Programs: UA Premier Platinum

Of course this happens on Friday afternoon, so no opportunity to contact the Canadian embassy until Monday. It's not a lot of water and I've certainly had more in previous passports that I continued to use for years (my philosophy and seemingly that of many immigration officials being that if the ID page is legible and jacket not torn, it's fine), but it seems there's now a similar feature to what cheques (remember those, young FTers?) have that permanently highlights the area that was wet in red.
Old Jan 5, 2018, 6:23 pm

Programs: AC SE MM; SPG Plat
Sorry for posting here - but it's not AC and I've never visited the WestJet forum: collision at YYZ, Sunwing and WestJet planes. A rather cold night for passengers to slide on to the tarmac.

https://www.ctvnews.ca/canada/two-pl...port-1.3747926
Old Jan 5, 2018, 6:26 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AC E50k, A3*G, UA*S, MR Titanium, HHonors Gold, Carlson Gold, NEXUS
Of course this happens on Friday afternoon, so no opportunity to contact the Canadian embassy until Monday. It's not a lot of water and I've certainly had more in previous passports that I continued to use for years (my philosophy and seemingly that of many immigration officials being that if the ID page is legible and jacket not torn, it's fine), but it seems there's now a similar feature to what cheques (remember those, young FTers?) have that permanently highlights the area that was wet in red.
Have you thought of dumping the entire passport in water so that it's all red?
Old Jan 5, 2018, 6:46 pm

Programs: FOTSG Tangerine Ex E35k (AC)
I remember cheques. Actually used them just up until 2016... Both for a Qc trip where my Mom booked non Airbnb rooms and they wanted a chair and my condo building demanded them as a deposit for elevator rental.

A friend used his passport with ripped ID page three times. Back home and then for another trip where he risked it... Airlines didnt have an issue neither did the machines letting him back home. The US official wasnt happy but did let him in.

Last edited by jc94; Jan 5, 2018 at 6:47 pm Reason: My phone dislikes the word cheque
Old Jan 5, 2018, 8:13 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Programs: AC
Originally Posted by pewpew
Have you thought of dumping the entire passport in water so that it's all red?
I see you really want to make friends on here.
Old Jan 6, 2018, 1:01 am

Originally Posted by jc94
I remember cheques. Actually used them just up until 2016... Both for a Qc trip where my Mom booked non Airbnb rooms and they wanted a chair and my condo building demanded them as a deposit for elevator rental.

A friend used his passport with ripped ID page three times. Back home and then for another trip where he risked it... Airlines didnt have an issue neither did the machines letting him back home. The US official wasnt happy but did let him in.
I still need to use cheques to book our condo bbq pits. It's $11 but they do all the cleanup, so I find it worthwhile.
Old Jan 6, 2018, 12:28 pm

Programs: SE 100K
Cape Town recommendations? Things to do / see? Places to eat? Go!

Here for a month. Doing my best to not get robbed, stabbed shot, and to only use the 87L of water a day per the restrictions with the severe drought...
Old Jan 8, 2018, 9:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE 2MM; UA MP Premier Silver; Marriott Bonvoy LT Titanium Elite; Radisson
Leafs are unpredictably annoying.

Raptors now own the third best winning %... just ahead of Houston!
Old Jan 8, 2018, 9:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by YOWkid
I try to keep a low profile...
But you weren't a low profiler before!
Old Jan 9, 2018, 9:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by CanadianMike
Cape Town recommendations? Things to do / see? Places to eat? Go!

Here for a month. Doing my best to not get robbed, stabbed shot, and to only use the 87L of water a day per the restrictions with the severe drought...
Victoria and Alfred Waterfront.....good restaurants and shopping. scenic views
Hermanus for land based whale watching. Not to be missed
Robben Island for Nelson Mandela prison
Stellenbosch quaint town and wineries
And of course Table Mountain
Tour of townships
Perhaps safari close to CPT

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.