Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Dec 31, 2017, 6:09 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: jc94
This new annual thread has been carved out of the previous thread in an effort to reduce the number of megathreads on the AC forum. For those interested previous versions are the original 2004 - 2014 thread , 2015 edition, 2016 edition and 2017 edition

The original thread started by accident but quickly became a popular place to come and discuss off topic things such as hockey, new movies, or almost anything that wouldn't fit into existing AC forum threads. More Air Canada or Aeroplan topics such as flight feedback, in-flight services issues or mileage earning/redemption are all topics that should go into existing AC forum threads so others can benefit from this information. Topics about hotels or airlines and/or their loyalty programs should be posted elsewhere on FT as should topics better suited to other forums such as Travel Products for questions about luggage or Travel Photography for discussion about cameras.

While the conversation is more relaxed as it would be in a lounge that doesn't mean however that the FT rules don't apply here as they definitely do so please refrain from controversial topics such as politics or religion, avoid profanities and treat other lounge patrons with the same respect you expect.
Print Wikipost

The Forum Lounge Thread (2018)

Search this Thread

Old Jan 1, 2018, 7:17 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Programs: AC
Originally Posted by gabdusch
Having just flown ZRH-IST-YUL I had the opportunity to compare both IST and ZRH lounges side by side.

The IST lounge was crowded, hot and sweaty and yes the food is nice and diverse but I'm not quite sure it's living up to the hype anymore. On a previous trip, I tried the sleeping rooms downstairs and while the idea is nice, the soundproofing is terrible and they are located right next to the kitchen, making it real hard to get decent sleep. Plus transit security at IST can be a real sh*t show, significantly reducing my urge to transit there in the near future.

On the other hand, ZRH is clean, organized, efficient and the new E-gates lounges are impressive, including the kitchen work areas and extensive bar. I would agree with you 10/10 assessment. ^
I agree. I avoid the IST J lounge and much prefer the premium plaza lounges. I hate people and overcrowding. Perhaps it was a case of being overhyped but my last encounter at the IST J lounge left me with a thought of "what are people going on about" after I spent no more than 5 minutes there.
capedreamer likes this.
Old Jan 1, 2018, 7:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE 2MM; UA MP Premier Silver; Marriott Bonvoy LT Titanium Elite; Radisson; Avis PC
I wish Joe Bowen someday returns to play-by-play TV commentating for the Leafs, and not just on LeafsTV.
Old Jan 1, 2018, 8:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE 2MM; UA MP Premier Silver; Marriott Bonvoy LT Titanium Elite; Radisson; Avis PC
Originally Posted by capedreamer
Following up to this thread...

@SparseFlyer: Were you looking for my opinion of the LX E Gates Lounge at ZRH? If so, 10/10 for a J/*G lounge!

@yyznomad: Actually, I'm not a huge fan of the TK IST Lounge. Granted, it's massive. But I've always found its aesthetics lacking, often quite crowded, and not great for privacy.
that's why I asked if it's your second ranked... so what are your #2 and #3 *G lounges?
Old Jan 1, 2018, 8:18 pm

Originally Posted by Jumper Jack
Me when people asking me if I wanna do grad school later on:
I absolutely loved Grad school
Diabeetus and Jumper Jack like this.
Old Jan 1, 2018, 8:20 pm

Programs: Only J via Peasant Points, 777HDPeasant or The Unexpected Virtue of Ignorance and Narcissism.
Originally Posted by longtimeflyin
That television show is absolutely draining to watch.
But it also feels as real as it gets. Whats your fav ep of this season?
Old Jan 1, 2018, 8:20 pm

Programs: Only J via Peasant Points, 777HDPeasant or The Unexpected Virtue of Ignorance and Narcissism.
Originally Posted by quantumofforce
I absolutely loved Grad school
Glad to hear that, though some enjoy school, others hate it.
Old Jan 1, 2018, 8:32 pm

Programs: AC E75K
Originally Posted by yyznomad

that's why I asked if it's your second ranked... so what are your #2 and #3 *G lounges?
I'm not nearly as well traveled as many on here (including you ), but probably one of the LH Senator Lounges at FRA or MUC (there are so many and are so consistent, I have a hard time keeping them all straight). While LH's lounge food offerings for lunch / dinner aren't the most extensive, I love their breakfasts (especially the Bircher Müsli) and clean, airy design.

A SQ SilverKris Lounge (likely at SIN) probably rounds out the top 3. SQ has better food, but my impression (admittedly from a few years ago) is that they tend to be quite dark and foreboding.

What's your top 3?
Old Jan 1, 2018, 8:58 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: HH Silver
Exclamation

A reminder that *A lounge discussion belong in the *A forum.

tcook052
AC forum Mod.
Old Jan 1, 2018, 9:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

What's your top 3?
I guess I'll tell you in person at a DO since my FT PM inbox is full.
Old Jan 1, 2018, 9:24 pm

Programs: AC E75K
Originally Posted by yyznomad

I guess I'll tell you in person at a DO since my FT PM inbox is full.
Now I really want to know!

Can’t you delete something? :P
Old Jan 1, 2018, 9:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Now I really want to know!

Can’t you delete something? :P
i could, but I won't. People try to message me so it's just easier to leave it full.
capedreamer likes this.
Old Jan 2, 2018, 2:12 am

Programs: UA Premier Platinum
Originally Posted by Jumper Jack
Well considering the following four events I have planned for me next year
1 - Finishing off school (Finally breaking free from that awful hellhole)
2 - Visiting Europe, Asia and Australia (In J!!! )
3 - Start working full time (Yessssss)
4 - Carribean for the Christmas

I am pretty much hyped
Early 20s: "so excited to finish school and start working!"
Late 20s: "so excited to stop working and go back to school!"

​​​​​​​
Diabeetus and quantumofforce like this.
Old Jan 2, 2018, 9:09 am

Programs: A3 Silver
Coding with one useable hand is annoying as AF.
Old Jan 2, 2018, 9:42 am

Programs: AC SE (*A Gold), Bonvoy Platinum Elite, Hilton Gold, Amex Platinum / AP Reserve, NEXUS, Global Entry
Originally Posted by montezume
Ouch. But what's a new year without a new challenge, eh??
Old Jan 2, 2018, 10:15 am

Originally Posted by montezume

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.