Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Dec 31, 2017, 6:09 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: jc94
This new annual thread has been carved out of the previous thread in an effort to reduce the number of megathreads on the AC forum. For those interested previous versions are the original 2004 - 2014 thread , 2015 edition, 2016 edition and 2017 edition

The original thread started by accident but quickly became a popular place to come and discuss off topic things such as hockey, new movies, or almost anything that wouldn't fit into existing AC forum threads. More Air Canada or Aeroplan topics such as flight feedback, in-flight services issues or mileage earning/redemption are all topics that should go into existing AC forum threads so others can benefit from this information. Topics about hotels or airlines and/or their loyalty programs should be posted elsewhere on FT as should topics better suited to other forums such as Travel Products for questions about luggage or Travel Photography for discussion about cameras.

While the conversation is more relaxed as it would be in a lounge that doesn't mean however that the FT rules don't apply here as they definitely do so please refrain from controversial topics such as politics or religion, avoid profanities and treat other lounge patrons with the same respect you expect.
Print Wikipost

The Forum Lounge Thread (2018)

Search this Thread

Old Nov 17, 2018, 8:05 pm

Programs: UA Premier Platinum
Originally Posted by Bohemian1
Simply awful smoke down in the Bay Area yesterday. There was a GDP on almost all day at SFO.

The really weird thing was wandering around Apple Park with a large number of people wearing Imperial Stormtrooper-like face masks.

I was only down there for five hours and my eyes were burning. I've had better days in Nanjing.
There should be an air quality index that normalizes it to "Delhi the day after Diwali" which IMO, is about as bad as it gets.
Old Nov 17, 2018, 8:37 pm

Programs: FOTSG Tangerine Ex E35k (AC)
I found Irkutsk the worst for air quality. Far worse than India and China. It was like breathing car exhaust, my friend actually had to cut short a run.
Old Nov 17, 2018, 11:27 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by vernonc
Is it all parts of the Bay area (San Jose/Fremont) or just SFO and north ?
On Friday, the city of SF was the worst air in the world.

Today it's just extremely unhealthy.

The whole bay area has been screwed.

I'm going to PVR in the morning.
Old Nov 17, 2018, 11:43 pm

Location: YVR - MILLS Waypoint (It's the third house on the left)
Programs: AC*SE100K, wood level status in various other programs
Have a great trip - I have no doubt the air will be better.
Old Nov 18, 2018, 5:58 am

Programs: AC E75K, spouse E75K (MM), National Emerald, various hotel programs
Flames win round 1 of the Battle of Alberta with another 3rd period comeback. "It's the NHL-leading sixth time the Flames have come back to win a game in which they've trailed after two periods." Source: TSN.ca
Old Nov 18, 2018, 7:07 am

Programs: AC FOTSG, DL WM
Originally Posted by Bohemian1
Simply awful smoke down in the Bay Area yesterday. There was a GDP on almost all day at SFO.

The really weird thing was wandering around Apple Park with a large number of people wearing Imperial Stormtrooper-like face masks.

I was only down there for five hours and my eyes were burning. I've had better days in Nanjing.
Yeah, more than one Bay Area friend of mine has remarked about how the place has become a living sci-fi dystopia, what with people zipping down the street on hoverboards while wearing N95 masks and goggles.
Old Nov 18, 2018, 8:25 am

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
I've heard a lot of recommendations that N95 isn't good enough for this. Most of the stores I've seen have only been selling N99.
Old Nov 18, 2018, 1:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE 2MM; UA MP Premier Silver; Marriott Bonvoy LT Titanium Elite; Radisson; Avis PC
Buds sweep west coast.
Old Nov 18, 2018, 3:44 pm

Originally Posted by canadiancow
Welcome to my life

I'm now the proud owner of a not-cheap air filtration device, and due to all the stores selling out of most masks, my N99 mask is leopard-themed.

Luckily I'm leaving for a week tomorrow morning, so I can go to Mexico where the air is pure.

I have a $1,000+ Air filtration system as well from living in S.E.Asia... it is now used as a night table... keeping it just in case the "London Fog" comes back .
Old Nov 18, 2018, 3:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE 2MM; UA MP Premier Silver; Marriott Bonvoy LT Titanium Elite; Radisson; Avis PC
I am now E25K FT status. Halfway to PL40K status.

Golf clap.

Is there an FT eUp bonus?
Old Nov 19, 2018, 12:13 am

Programs: HH Silver
Originally Posted by yyznomad

Golf clap.

Congrats but no.
Old Nov 19, 2018, 4:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by tcook052
Congrats but no.
Actually, a really useful FT threshold gift would be one "Get Out of Jail (Suspension)" free card.

Onto a much, much more serious note though...

Metro Division leaders visiting the buds tonight. Let's see if they can get Torts all fired up!
canadiancow likes this.
Old Nov 19, 2018, 4:55 pm

Programs: TK *G
Originally Posted by yyznomad

Golf clap.

But you have priority posting, that is, fellow FTers are more likely to see your posts than others', and unlimited lounge access

Looks like I only did a few YYZ-YUL round trips on FT.
Old Nov 19, 2018, 5:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by songsc
But you have priority posting, that is, fellow FTers are more likely to see your posts than others', and unlimited lounge access

Looks like I only did a few YYZ-YUL round trips on FT.
The unlimited lounge access is a great perk indeed. But this lounge is often full and with very limited seating with all the credit card holders and Lounge Pass holder guests taking up all the space.
canadiancow and smallmj like this.
Old Nov 19, 2018, 6:19 pm
Suspended

Programs: AC SE100K-1MM, NH, DL, AA, BA, Global Entry/Nexus, APEC..
I love my room with a view, on the 110th floor

Not my first visit here to Ozone on the 118th floor

canopus27 and Bohemian1 like this.

Last edited by 24left; Nov 19, 2018 at 6:35 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.