Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Dec 31, 2017, 6:09 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: jc94
This new annual thread has been carved out of the previous thread in an effort to reduce the number of megathreads on the AC forum. For those interested previous versions are the original 2004 - 2014 thread , 2015 edition, 2016 edition and 2017 edition

The original thread started by accident but quickly became a popular place to come and discuss off topic things such as hockey, new movies, or almost anything that wouldn't fit into existing AC forum threads. More Air Canada or Aeroplan topics such as flight feedback, in-flight services issues or mileage earning/redemption are all topics that should go into existing AC forum threads so others can benefit from this information. Topics about hotels or airlines and/or their loyalty programs should be posted elsewhere on FT as should topics better suited to other forums such as Travel Products for questions about luggage or Travel Photography for discussion about cameras.

While the conversation is more relaxed as it would be in a lounge that doesn't mean however that the FT rules don't apply here as they definitely do so please refrain from controversial topics such as politics or religion, avoid profanities and treat other lounge patrons with the same respect you expect.
Print Wikipost

The Forum Lounge Thread (2018)

Search this Thread

Old Sep 5, 2018, 8:52 pm

Programs: Only J via Peasant Points, 777HDPeasant or The Unexpected Virtue of Ignorance and Narcissism.
Originally Posted by canadiancow
In my experience, only Prime Pantry (not free) and Prime Now (not free) will ship cases of Coke Zero.

Or it's just obscenely expensive.
Hmm
https://www.amazon.ca/Coca-Cola-Zero-Sugar-355mL-cans/dp/B0771SK6FY/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1536202293&sr=8-1&keywords=coke+zero https://www.amazon.ca/Coca-Cola-Zero-Sugar-355mL-cans/dp/B0771SK6FY/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1536202293&sr=8-1&keywords=coke+zero
$3.99 for 12 cans. if he subs biweekly saves another 15%
Old Sep 5, 2018, 9:02 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by Jumper Jack
Hmm
https://www.amazon.ca/Coca-Cola-Zero...ords=coke+zero
$3.99 for 12 cans. if he subs biweekly saves another 15%
I haven't seen anything like that in the US, and that's an add-on item, so you need sufficient quantities of other items to even order that. To do that every other day, you'd be spending 90+/week on Amazon.
Old Sep 6, 2018, 8:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE 2MM; UA MP Premier Silver; Marriott Bonvoy LT Titanium Elite; Radisson; Avis PC
And a big congrats to Mr. Nash. ^
Old Sep 6, 2018, 11:02 am

Programs: AC SE100K, Marriott Lifetime Platinum Elite. NEXUS
Oh, fun.

House needs to be painted (stained, actually). This turns into "lots of rot, spot replacement of clapboard" to "it isn't where to start replacing, but where to end" to "f' it, vinyl" to "you also should deal with the roof" to quotes for $12k for a roof and $30k for siding and all the presumed prep/repair work. The joys of a 140 year old house, last significantly modified by someone with zero commitment to his trade.

Still wanting for my 40th to be free of consumer debt, I guess roof this year with the ESPP hit and siding in the spring.

How is your Thursday?
Old Sep 6, 2018, 11:27 am

Location: YVR - MILLS Waypoint (It's the third house on the left)
Programs: AC*SE100K, wood level status in various other programs
We were lucky. The owners of the last house we bought plowed >$700K into a mondo reno and then got divorced.

Their loss was our gain and even though the house was built in the 1950's (not 140+ years old, although there a bunch of those nearby) it's essentially a new build. Other than changing out some items to their taste but not to ours, the infrastructure is solid.

But you have my sympathies. If they start taking off the siding, there's no end to what they might find. Fingers crossed that it's all good.

It's time like yours that owning a condo sounds like an easier way. Except for the strata. And it's Vancouver. And I like my privacy.
Old Sep 6, 2018, 12:06 pm

I actually bought the house from my father, after 2 years of renting it, and it being a rental property for ~10 before. So I kinda know what the updates 15 years ago were. It should be reasonably solid guts, maybe some minor spot fixing down at the ground level. 4' of sheathing replacement all the way around I'll expect, but the studs should all be OK. For that matter, while the tar & gravel roof is ... well, a tar & gravel roof, it has no leaks, so I hope just cosmetic problems on the fascia today. Due for repair, yes, but currently functional enough to protect the roof guts.

And it isn't like idiot condo co-ops couldn't just come to me and demand $30k for emergency repairs and not even give me a 6 months schedule to play with.
Old Sep 6, 2018, 12:45 pm

Programs: FOTSG Tangerine Ex E35k (AC)
I hate all the insane condo corps. Friend of a friend somewhere in GTA East (Scarborough) possibly, pays over $1k a month in condo fees. Possibly $1300? Oddly enough, s/he can't sell it now.

I have no issue with paying $100 a month for snow removal and grass cutting (assuming both are more than 6 sqft). I have a major issue with paying significantly more than that for someone throwing salt on the ground and sending letters twice a year telling people not to store their recycling bin on their porch, back patio or underground parking. Someone is making a lot of money.

And I know a number of people actually in downtown YYZ and $600-700 seems to be about standard condo fees. On top of paying a mortgage for $1000/sqft.
Old Sep 6, 2018, 12:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE 2MM; UA MP Premier Silver; Marriott Bonvoy LT Titanium Elite; Radisson; Avis PC
Originally Posted by jc94
I hate all the insane condo corps. Friend of a friend somewhere in GTA East (Scarborough) possibly, pays over $1k a month in condo fees. Possibly $1300? Oddly enough, s/he can't sell it now.

I have no issue with paying $100 a month for snow removal and grass cutting (assuming both are more than 6 sqft). I have a major issue with paying significantly more than that for someone throwing salt on the ground and sending letters twice a year telling people not to store their recycling bin on their porch, back patio or underground parking. Someone is making a lot of money.

And I know a number of people actually in downtown YYZ and $600-700 seems to be about standard condo fees. On top of paying a mortgage for $1000/sqft.
And on top of that, dealing with wacko condo board members who are riding really high up on their high horses.
Bohemian1 likes this.
Old Sep 6, 2018, 1:01 pm

Programs: AC SE (*A Gold), Bonvoy Platinum Elite, Hilton Gold, Amex Platinum / AP Reserve, NEXUS, Global Entry
Originally Posted by yyznomad
.... riding really high up on their high horses.
And now I miss all your RCHHMP references.
Old Sep 6, 2018, 1:36 pm

Originally Posted by yyznomad
And on top of that, dealing with wacko condo board members who are riding really high up on their high horses.
Right. 2/3 of my board quit without notice in the summer after someone they didn't like joined the board. Since then they're promised to improve communication, yet I'm the only person I know of who found out they're delaying (until 2019) what they promised us in June.

I get it, it's an unpaid position. But seriously? I've yet to see this degree of incompetence outside of ... well I better not say (hint: it wasn't an airline)
Old Sep 6, 2018, 1:48 pm

The sum of experience with being on the board of a couple of ~50-1000 member driven volunteer organizations is that I will never be on the board of an organization open to direct election from the wide membership again.
Old Sep 6, 2018, 2:04 pm

Programs: AC SE100K, Bonvoy Platinum Elite, IHG Gold, Hertz 5*
I have been asked by my strata council team to put myself up for presidency next week at our AGM.

Upside - The alternatives are...scary.

Downside - I have little time, and...

Small 11 unit strata corp with primarily free-standing homes in strata-owned land. No real services aside from garbage removal and some lawn cutting. $350 and facing a 15% increase next year as well as a $30-$40K special assessment for new siding/faschia/windows. Likely to be a hotbed of emotion the next 2-3 years.

Thoughts?
Old Sep 6, 2018, 2:06 pm

Programs: Aeroplan
Originally Posted by RangerNS
Oh, fun.

House needs to be painted (stained, actually). This turns into "lots of rot, spot replacement of clapboard" to "it isn't where to start replacing, but where to end" to "f' it, vinyl" to "you also should deal with the roof" to quotes for $12k for a roof and $30k for siding and all the presumed prep/repair work. The joys of a 140 year old house, last significantly modified by someone with zero commitment to his trade.

Still wanting for my 40th to be free of consumer debt, I guess roof this year with the ESPP hit and siding in the spring.

How is your Thursday?
Owning an old home can be rather trying. My place is 110-115 years old and I'm the third owner. Everything that the previous owners fixed they did very well, but we still have had to put a lot of work in to it over the last 17 years. So far we've done wiring, kitchen cabinets, a new front porch, gutted the main bathroom, a new roof, a new deck, a new boiler and oil tank, new windows and doors, and probably more that I don't remember off the top of my head. On the to-do list is interior walls and getting rid of the asbestos lining the pipes in the basement. Fortunately the mortgage is paid off, so we can save up for the next round of renos.

The good news is that small town carpenters are much cheaper than their city slicker counterparts. And after 17 years I know which ones are good and which to avoid like the plague.
Old Sep 6, 2018, 2:33 pm

Originally Posted by WaytoomuchEurope
I have been asked by my strata council team to put myself up for presidency next week at our AGM.

Upside - The alternatives are...scary.

Downside - I have little time, and...

Small 11 unit strata corp with primarily free-standing homes in strata-owned land. No real services aside from garbage removal and some lawn cutting. $350 and facing a 15% increase next year as well as a $30-$40K special assessment for new siding/faschia/windows. Likely to be a hotbed of emotion the next 2-3 years.

Thoughts?
This is scary similar to my situation, although it's a larger number of units. My advice would be stay clear and aim to move to something where you aren't paying $4-5k a year for cutting the grass. Garbage removal should be done by the city (along with plowing though private estates can cause this to be an issue despite paying the same property tax as everyone else). Also, most mortgages are fixed for a few years, and don't go up 15% year on year.

If you do go for it though, communication is key. I'd be much less peeved with my situation if things were communicated properly / at all.
Old Sep 6, 2018, 3:01 pm

Programs: AC SE100K, Bonvoy Platinum Elite, IHG Gold, Hertz 5*
Originally Posted by jc94
This is scary similar to my situation, although it's a larger number of units. My advice would be stay clear and aim to move to something where you aren't paying $4-5k a year for cutting the grass. Garbage removal should be done by the city (along with plowing though private estates can cause this to be an issue despite paying the same property tax as everyone else). Also, most mortgages are fixed for a few years, and don't go up 15% year on year.

If you do go for it though, communication is key. I'd be much less peeved with my situation if things were communicated properly / at all.
I wonder if it's unique to the YNJ area that I live, but it seems most strata complexes have private trash removal. Public recycling removal though. Go figure. Snow removal isn't even a real thing in our neck of the woods. Unlikely to get a plow on the highways and main roads let alone side streets and private property.

Sadly we are kind of stuck with our current plan. Strata council went SIXTEEN (!!!!) years without allowing an increase in fees and now there is a whole lot of catch up to do.

Still don't know if I'll accept the nomination or not. It's a lose-lose.

Would love to sell here and move to a freehold property, but my wife and I find ourselves a little short in this market. Like, half a million or more short.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.