Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Dec 31, 2017, 6:09 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: jc94
This new annual thread has been carved out of the previous thread in an effort to reduce the number of megathreads on the AC forum. For those interested previous versions are the original 2004 - 2014 thread , 2015 edition, 2016 edition and 2017 edition

The original thread started by accident but quickly became a popular place to come and discuss off topic things such as hockey, new movies, or almost anything that wouldn't fit into existing AC forum threads. More Air Canada or Aeroplan topics such as flight feedback, in-flight services issues or mileage earning/redemption are all topics that should go into existing AC forum threads so others can benefit from this information. Topics about hotels or airlines and/or their loyalty programs should be posted elsewhere on FT as should topics better suited to other forums such as Travel Products for questions about luggage or Travel Photography for discussion about cameras.

While the conversation is more relaxed as it would be in a lounge that doesn't mean however that the FT rules don't apply here as they definitely do so please refrain from controversial topics such as politics or religion, avoid profanities and treat other lounge patrons with the same respect you expect.
Print Wikipost

The Forum Lounge Thread (2018)

Search this Thread

Old Sep 2, 2018, 1:41 pm

Programs: Aeroplan
Originally Posted by yyznomad
Now 7th... so far so good... hopefully no jinxing here.
Done after 7. 1 run on 4 hits with 10 strikeouts and 1 walk. IIRC, all four hits were weak singles. Pretty good for his 3rd major league game.
Old Sep 2, 2018, 1:43 pm

Originally Posted by skybluesea
And good for you that you or your kids never encountered the police.

I routinely work in Singapore, and my colleagues remind me to go nowhere without my passport as although they are not required to carry their ID cards, but the police routinely hold folks without ID on them.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nation..._Identity_Card

Notwithstanding this, if no identification can be produced the police may detain suspicious individuals until such identification can be produced either in person or by proxy.

BTW...unlike Singapore, in Canada you won't go to jail for up to 2 years for failing to register your new address if you move...
You know me, suspicious AF pushing a stroller. The reality is a white guy with a white baby is treated with zero suspicion. I passed checkpoints where they were searching everyone... except white people. They'd wave me through whether I was alone or with the kids. The one time my coworker got searched (Asian) while I was waved through. The reality is it is a law they use only if there is a reason too. In Canada we all break laws on a daily basis but most are not enforced.

Also, in Canada if you don't register your move if you have a PAL you can get in big trouble too. However every time I called in they were oblivious to this requirement.

Also, from your link: "Holders of an NRIC are responsible for the card's custody but are not required to carry the card on their person. "

Last edited by quantumofforce; Sep 2, 2018 at 1:50 pm
Old Sep 2, 2018, 2:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE 2MM; UA MP Premier Silver; Marriott Bonvoy LT Titanium Elite; Radisson; Avis PC
Originally Posted by smallmj
Done after 7. 1 run on 4 hits with 10 strikeouts and 1 walk. IIRC, all four hits were weak singles. Pretty good for his 3rd major league game.
Yep. And they won.
Old Sep 2, 2018, 3:22 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Programs: AC
Anyone else feel disgusting after eating processed food? Had a pizza for the first time in a while and feel like death.
Old Sep 2, 2018, 5:18 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AC E50k, A3*G, UA*S, MR Titanium, HHonors Gold, Carlson Gold, NEXUS
Originally Posted by longtimeflyin
Anyone else feel disgusting after eating processed food? Had a pizza for the first time in a while and feel like death.
ironically, 90% of the free meals we get in med school are pizza
Old Sep 2, 2018, 5:21 pm

Programs: FOTSG Tangerine Ex E35k (AC)
Was this pizza grocery store bought, from a fast food joint or ... in a MLL?
Old Sep 3, 2018, 12:21 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
When I went on my three week trip, I turned off power to a lot of stuff via circuit breakers (basically everything except the fridge), and I shut off the water line to my fridge's ice maker, as well as turned it off.

Upon my return, all power was turned back on.

Fast forward a week, and I was out of ice.

I quickly realized the water was still off, so I turned it on. 24 hours later, still no ice. I turned the ice maker off for 30 minutes, then back on. Still no ice.

I had to flip the circuit breaker to the fridge, power cycling the whole thing. Then the ice maker started working.

I never thought "unplug it and plug it back in" would be necessary for something like that.
quantumofforce likes this.

Last edited by canadiancow; Sep 3, 2018 at 2:12 am Reason: typo
Old Sep 3, 2018, 1:11 am

Programs: UA Premier Platinum
Originally Posted by canadiancow
When I went on my three week trip, I turned off power to a lot of stuff via circuit breakers (basically everything except the fridge), and I shut off the water line to my fridge's ice maker, as well as turned it off.

Upon my return, all power was turned back on.

I quickly realized the water was still off, so I turned it off. 24 hours later, still no ice. I turned the ice maker off for 30 minutes, then back on. Still no ice.

I had to flip the circuit breaker to the fridge, power cycling the whole thing. Then the ice maker started working.

I never thought "unplug it and plug it back in" would be necessary for something like that.
This basically describes my job as an engineer at a power plant.
Old Sep 3, 2018, 1:14 am

Programs: AS 100K, UA*S, IHG Plat, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond | Formerly: AC Super Elite
Originally Posted by canadiancow

I quickly realized the water was still off, so I turned it off. 24 hours later, still no ice.
I'm a bit confused -- if the water is still off and you turn it off ... shouldn't it be obvious there would still be no ice?
Old Sep 3, 2018, 2:12 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by maradori
I'm a bit confused -- if the water is still off and you turn it off ... shouldn't it be obvious there would still be no ice?
Oops, I turned it on.

I corrected my post.
Old Sep 3, 2018, 6:44 am
Suspended
Original Poster

Programs: AC
Originally Posted by jc94
Was this pizza grocery store bought, from a fast food joint or ... in a MLL?
I wonder why you asked, and I suspect you have a reason although I have yet to know why....but it was grocery store bought frozen pizza. I had a sudden craving I could not resist as I walked through the frozen food aisle and my internal law that should never be broken of not eating processed food....I broke it, much to my demise.
Old Sep 3, 2018, 7:12 am

Programs: FOTSG Tangerine Ex E35k (AC)
I wonder why you asked, and I suspect you have a reason although I have yet to know why....but it was grocery store bought frozen pizza. I had a sudden craving I could not resist as I walked through the frozen food aisle and my internal law that should never be broken of not eating processed food....I broke it, much to my demise.
I was just attempting a joke around most MLL food being of dubious quality. Although being having been to YYC YVR of late hanevt actually eaten the infamous AC pizza yet.

I have done the same with grocery store pizza. Eaten and regretted.
longtimeflyin likes this.
Old Sep 3, 2018, 8:04 am

Programs: Aeroplan
....I broke it, much to my demise.
Oh dear, when is the funeral? Will you later be resurrected with a new FT handle?
canadiancow likes this.
Old Sep 3, 2018, 4:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE 2MM; UA MP Premier Silver; Marriott Bonvoy LT Titanium Elite; Radisson; Avis PC
Originally Posted by smallmj
Will you later be resurrected with a new FT handle?
I suspect that it depends on how much of a birden it will be to do this.
Old Sep 3, 2018, 6:36 pm
Moderator, Air Canada; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE MM, FB Plat, WS Plat, BA Silver, DL GM, Marriott Plat, Hilton Gold, Accor Silver
Originally Posted by yyznomad
I suspect that it depends on how much of a birden it will be to do this.
I'm super angry about your typo.
canadiancow, jc94, smallmj and 1 others like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.