Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Dec 31, 2017, 6:09 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: jc94
This new annual thread has been carved out of the previous thread in an effort to reduce the number of megathreads on the AC forum. For those interested previous versions are the original 2004 - 2014 thread , 2015 edition, 2016 edition and 2017 edition

The original thread started by accident but quickly became a popular place to come and discuss off topic things such as hockey, new movies, or almost anything that wouldn't fit into existing AC forum threads. More Air Canada or Aeroplan topics such as flight feedback, in-flight services issues or mileage earning/redemption are all topics that should go into existing AC forum threads so others can benefit from this information. Topics about hotels or airlines and/or their loyalty programs should be posted elsewhere on FT as should topics better suited to other forums such as Travel Products for questions about luggage or Travel Photography for discussion about cameras.

While the conversation is more relaxed as it would be in a lounge that doesn't mean however that the FT rules don't apply here as they definitely do so please refrain from controversial topics such as politics or religion, avoid profanities and treat other lounge patrons with the same respect you expect.
Print Wikipost

The Forum Lounge Thread (2018)

Search this Thread

Old Aug 26, 2018, 9:06 pm
Suspended

Programs: Air Canada Super Elite 2+ Million Miles
@canadiancow

yes, exactly what i mean that your passport as a foreigner may be the only valid ID accepted.

plus in North America, a significant decline is underway with possession of driver's licences.

Rise of center urban living, ride-sharing, etc which is now causing significant issues for young people who come into contact with police, who may only have a Fishing Licences

https://www.theatlantic.com/technolo...icense/425169/

@ Stranger absolutely right, most places do NOT accept driver's licences as official ID,

and as an Italian citizen, would never think of using my driver's licence when engaging with officialdom.

Your passport in your hotel safe may stay there long time if you find yourself being questioned by police in a country that will take you to the lock-up first if you cannot prove who you are...
Stranger likes this.

Last edited by skybluesea; Aug 26, 2018 at 9:08 pm Reason: +cc
Old Aug 27, 2018, 8:03 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Programs: AC

Good man.
Old Aug 27, 2018, 10:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE 2MM; UA MP Premier Silver; Marriott Bonvoy LT Titanium Elite; Radisson; Avis PC
"Monina's" streak ends... still pretty rare and significant, even for Cooperstown.
Old Aug 28, 2018, 3:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE 2MM; UA MP Premier Silver; Marriott Bonvoy LT Titanium Elite; Radisson; Avis PC
Joey Bats to the Phillies.
Old Aug 30, 2018, 12:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

@fin 645 and @xray

Didn't want to hijack https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/30138410-post173.html so asking in this thread...

Just out of curiosity, what did @jlisi984 play at Thousand Islands Playhouse? I couldn't find a program/playbill on their website... just a bunch of bios.
Old Aug 30, 2018, 1:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I just got another face full of Couldflare.
Old Aug 30, 2018, 1:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

@Stranger is five posts away from 20,000!
Old Aug 30, 2018, 9:48 pm

Programs: Only J via Peasant Points, 777HDPeasant or The Unexpected Virtue of Ignorance and Narcissism.

Old Aug 30, 2018, 10:32 pm

Programs: FOTSG Tangerine Ex E35k (AC)
Sometimes it’s good for things to run their course and have a decided final season rather than ending with things unresolved hoping NF picks them up... Or going on for 10-12 years as actors become
more and more unrealistic age wise.
Old Aug 30, 2018, 10:51 pm

Location: YVR - MILLS Waypoint (It's the third house on the left)
Programs: AC*SE100K, wood level status in various other programs
This is such a complex plot with an evolving set of characters that it would be hard to sustain.

Still excited it's coming though!
Old Aug 31, 2018, 5:58 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: HH Silver
Originally Posted by Bohemian1
This is such a complex plot with an evolving set of characters that it would be hard to sustain.

Still excited it's coming though!
Agree and can't wait for this season. Some very good recent series like Breaking Bad had a defined story arc and didn't let popularity and recognition alter that arc so would rather have quality than quantity from Mr. Robot.
jc94 likes this.
Old Aug 31, 2018, 11:22 am

Originally Posted by canadiancow
Okay...

So there I am, sitting in the FRA Lufthansa First Class Terminal with a friend, awaiting our breakfast orders.

Our Personal Assistant walks over, and says “Uh, Mr. Kennedy, the police would like to have a word with you.”

As one can imagine, many things started flashing through my mind. Luckily, it quickly became clear this was the border police, and the question would be no different than had I actually presented myself at exit immigration. But before even getting to the officer, I knew what it was about.

5 days ago, we flew AMS-LHR, after having spent about a week in Schengen. To my surprise, it wasn’t just EU passports allowed to use the automated gates, but also Canada, USA, Australia, and a bunch of others. I happily went through, all the while wondering how it was going to work without getting an exit stamp. The entry stamp was 10 days ago, also at FRA.

Of course, the officer wanted to know when I left Germany. I pulled up TripIt and told him all the details. There were questions about whether I had residency in any EU country (I do not), and the language barrier made it a little hard to explain the whole kiosk thing. At every other airport I’ve been to, kiosks are only for EU/UK/etc. passports.

He asked if I had a copy of my AMS-LHR ticket. Luckily, I did have my AMS-LHR boarding pass. I had to go upstairs to get it. I stopped by the restaurant, explained the situation, and my friend said “I’m pretty sure I got a stamp there”. Back downstairs with the boarding pass, the officer asked if he could take a photo. He also said he was going to call someone, and I’d probably get a “big stamp”.

The personal assistant spoke with him in German, and the result of that exchange was a check of my friend’s passport, and sure enough, he had an exit stamp.

Back upstairs again, sipping on champagne, talking it over with my friend. After the automated kiosks, most people were just leaving, but some were stopping for a stamp. He stopped. He was ahead of me, I didn’t see him stop, so when I got through the automated gate, I just kept walking, completely oblivious to the whole thing.

It seems a little odd that it’s up to the individual to get their “mandatory” stamp.

Anyway, they certainly encouraged me to take this flight and go back to good old USA, and be more mindful in the future. There’s now an entire page in my passport taken up by a special stamp that says:

"Die ausreise am 19.08.2018 in Amsterdam, Niederlande wurde nachträglich nachgewiesen."
Bundespolizeidirektion Flughafen Frankfurt/Main 24.08.18

That translates roughly to "The departure on 19.08.2018 in Amsterdam, the Netherlands was subsequently proven."
Federal Police Directorate Frankfurt/Main Airport 24.08.18

It also has a “Vorgangsnummer” (operation number) and “Unterschrift” (signature).

Not fun, but luckily resolved without issue.

Though I think I'll stay home for a while (once I finally arrive - one flight left)
Leaving Hungary They asked to see my other passport, but I only have one. He said I have no stamp, I insisted I got it just yesterday! Why were you hear for just one day? Well, there's a thing called a mileage run...

Anyway, he looked again and found the stamp .
Old Aug 31, 2018, 1:18 pm

Originally Posted by skybluesea
@smallmj and @canadiancow

No need to go as far as Senegal or Singapore to discover that having ID on your person can avoid a conviction, and police can certainly be creative to justify stopping you for probable cause.
I see Singapore repeatedly mention on this topic. I would walk around with my kids, and no ID all the time in Singapore. No idea what you guys are talking about. I had many trips there, lived there a few years too.
canadiancow likes this.
Old Aug 31, 2018, 5:44 pm
Suspended

Programs: Air Canada Super Elite 2+ Million Miles
Originally Posted by quantumofforce
I see Singapore repeatedly mention on this topic. I would walk around with my kids, and no ID all the time in Singapore. No idea what you guys are talking about. I had many trips there, lived there a few years too.
And good for you that you or your kids never encountered the police.

I routinely work in Singapore, and my colleagues remind me to go nowhere without my passport as although they are not required to carry their ID cards, but the police routinely hold folks without ID on them.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nation..._Identity_Card

Notwithstanding this, if no identification can be produced the police may detain suspicious individuals until such identification can be produced either in person or by proxy.

BTW...unlike Singapore, in Canada you won't go to jail for up to 2 years for failing to register your new address if you move...
longtimeflyin likes this.
Old Aug 31, 2018, 7:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

So long, The Bringer of Rain. Thanks for the memories.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.