Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Use the "online rebooking tool:" during bad weather for award tickets?

Old Dec 29, 2017, 5:21 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA Platinum Pro, AC *S, Marriott Gold Elite, Hyatt Explorist

I apologize if this has been answered before, but I was unable to find it. I am hoping to book an aeroplan award ticket from Toronto for travel on 12/31. AC has issued a travel waiver for 12/31 due to cold weather and I was wondering if I would be able to take advantage of that if my plans change and I need to leave later without paying a change fee.
Thanks!
Old Dec 29, 2017, 8:10 pm

Originally Posted by sadiqhassan
I apologize if this has been answered before, but I was unable to find it. I am hoping to book an aeroplan award ticket from Toronto for travel on 12/31. AC has issued a travel waiver for 12/31 due to cold weather and I was wondering if I would be able to take advantage of that if my plans change and I need to leave later without paying a change fee.
Thanks!
In my experience no, the tool will not allow you to do anything as it is an Aeroplan booking.
Old Dec 30, 2017, 5:48 am

Programs: AC SE100K-1MM, Bonvoy Gold, HHonors Diamond, VIA Premier, NEXUS/GE
Happened to me recently and since it was a reward ticket, I could not use the online rebooking tool despite the hard travel alert. However, I was able to phone Aeroplan (it was before I checked-in so Aeroplan still had control of the ticket) and change my flight free of charge.
Old Dec 30, 2017, 6:00 am

Programs: *$ Green
Thanks!
You should be able to change this with AC directly could give them a try.
Old Dec 30, 2017, 6:04 am

Programs: AC SE100K-1MM, Bonvoy Gold, HHonors Diamond, VIA Premier, NEXUS/GE
Originally Posted by SparseFlyer
You should be able to change this with AC directly could give them a try.
From recent experience, if you have not checked-in for your flight, AC won't touch the ticket as Aeroplan still has control of it. But after check-in, it is AC that is in charge.
Old Dec 30, 2017, 7:55 am
Moderator, Air Canada; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE MM, FB Plat, WS Plat, BA Silver, DL GM, Marriott Plat, Hilton Gold, Accor Silver
Does anyone know the fine print of AC's policy for re-booking with travel advisories with regards to when tickets were purchased? The US carriers typically only allow use of the travel waiver if the ticket was booked before the waiver was issued. If AC's is similarly limited, OP would be SOL if he purchases a ticket now that the waiver has already been issued.
skybluesea and DNAwizard like this.
Old Dec 30, 2017, 9:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE 2MM; UA MP Premier Silver; Marriott Bonvoy LT Titanium Elite; Radisson
The online rebooking tool is a piece of crap.

i've only used it successfully one time
... and all other times, despite identical circumstances to the successful attempt, were futile.
Old Dec 30, 2017, 10:37 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Adam Smith
Does anyone know the fine print of AC's policy for re-booking with travel advisories with regards to when tickets were purchased? The US carriers typically only allow use of the travel waiver if the ticket was booked before the waiver was issued. If AC's is similarly limited, OP would be SOL if he purchases a ticket now that the waiver has already been issued.
I have successfully used the tool even when booking a paid AC ticket after the waiver was issued.

My n is quite small but I have had quite good success with using the tool on simple point to point flights in the northeast.
Old Jan 1, 2018, 10:36 am
Original Poster

Thumbs up

Update on the resolution. So I booked a 9am flight ex YYZ and wanted to switch to a 9pm one (which had no award seats.) I tried to use the online tool, no dice. I called the air Canada number and everything was changed without issue and the total call time was just about 3 minutes.
Old Jan 2, 2018, 8:47 pm

Programs: Irrelevant
Thanks!
I haver never been able to use the on-line rebooking tool for AP reward flights. Between the 19th of December and today, I have had to rebooked fifteen different PNRs due to all the WX issues at YVR, YLW, YYZ and YUL, and not once could I used the on-line tool, even when the on-line tool would say parts of the itinerary were "affected" by a travel alert.

I always had to resort to either the call centre or airport agents to have the required changes made, which was just a colossal waste of time

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.