Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Someone flew as me on the same flight today!

Someone flew as me on the same flight today!

Old Dec 28, 2017, 12:47 am

Originally Posted by rehoult
But can OP get 2x?
asking the serious questions!
Old Dec 28, 2017, 4:09 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by rehoult
It's not a flight security risk (CASTA), it's a national security / immigration risk (CBSA). Canada screens the names of inbound pax, and can (and does) ban people from boarding flights who it doesn't want on Canadian soil. This type of issue skirts that screening, and iCBSA will be very unhappy about it.
It seemed that during the reissue of my BP to the other PAX they also attached his passport info to my booking. So, actually I was the one whose info was not provided to CBSA. I had to give my passport to the Captain mid-flight who called with my info.
Re other security. It was clear this was human error and no intent to anything more serious. Re risk though - given the other PAX had checked bags under my name and booking I suspect he could have not flown but his bags would have travelled with me, so not great.
I have never loved flying out of CUN and yesterday was no exception for a range of reasons.
Old Dec 28, 2017, 5:06 am

Programs: *$ Green
There's a lot of weird .... going on with these BP scanners.

One time you get a coupon required error and you're standing there while people try to figure out what happened.

The other time you board a flight and then you're told you were never on that flight.

Sometimes you board a wrong flight and no one knows.

I really think these scanners are just boopboop machines lol. Or maybe they just beep to say "scan successful", and a human needs to validate...
Old Dec 28, 2017, 6:16 am

Originally Posted by SparseFlyer
There's a lot of weird .... going on with these BP scanners.

One time you get a coupon required error and you're standing there while people try to figure out what happened.

The other time you board a flight and then you're told you were never on that flight.

Sometimes you board a wrong flight and no one knows.

I really think these scanners are just boopboop machines lol. Or maybe they just beep to say "scan successful", and a human needs to validate...
the models call it a "beedoop" machine

https://www.nbcnews.com/storyline/ai...ngeles-n832786
Old Dec 28, 2017, 6:28 am

Programs: AC MM E50 , Former SPG, now Marriott LT Plat
What happened to the other guy's girlfriend? Why were they split up?
Old Dec 28, 2017, 6:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE 2MM; UA MP Premier Silver; Marriott Bonvoy LT Titanium Elite; Radisson
Bedoop!

OP, this your story should get some good CBC laughs. Woot!
Old Dec 28, 2017, 6:31 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by IluvSQ
What happened to the other guy's girlfriend? Why were they split up?
She was left on their original flight. He was just told at check-in he was on a different flight and given my BP. Not a frequent flyer so he didn't even think to ask why!
Old Dec 28, 2017, 6:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE 2MM; UA MP Premier Silver; Marriott Bonvoy LT Titanium Elite; Radisson
OP - if you had stayed your 1A that would've even made it more hilarious.
Old Dec 28, 2017, 6:44 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by yyznomad
OP - if you had stayed your 1A that would've even made it more hilarious.
Yes, very rare I change seat. This was rouge so I wanted to be able to hang the iPad. Having said this the FA did ask to look at both our BP right after each other and didn't pick up the fact they were identical! I think the comment in the "airline use" field of my BP may have played a part in all this....
Old Dec 28, 2017, 6:50 am

Programs: AC-SE100K MM, BA-S HH-D, MB-G LT Sil, IHG-Plt, Nexus, Global Entry
Originally Posted by MaxFlying
Yes, very rare I change seat. This was rouge so I wanted to be able to hang the iPad. Having said this the FA did ask to look at both our BP right after each other and didn't pick up the fact they were identical! I think the comment in the "airline use" field of my BP may have played a part in all this....
She didn't want to speak to you because you are a c*nt?
Old Dec 28, 2017, 8:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by MaxFlying

Oh dear.
Old Dec 28, 2017, 8:29 am

Programs: Aeroplan E75
Originally Posted by Transpacificflyer
Security breach of significance. This should be brought to the . attention of Canada Border Security Agency. IMO Air Canada will bury this event, but CBSA will undertake an investigation and will demand corrective action.
And the Mexican and US authorities as well as the flight path was certainly over US territory.
Old Dec 28, 2017, 6:12 pm

Programs: DL, AC, Bonvoy, Accor, Hilton
Originally Posted by JamesBigglesworth
What risk was there? Was the pax not screened? Was there any intent on the part of the pax? No on both: risk profile doesn't change in the slightest. It's an airline cockup, pure and simple. Over reaction and paranoia over security do more harm to actual security than good. (Look at the US for an example of the incredibly porous security they have due to their paranoia and inability to focus on actual (such as they are) threats.)
On the contrary, it was a failure on the part of the airline verification requirements. If the passenger had been screened/verified at checkin/boarding this would not have occurred. The duplication should have been picked up. It is not an over reaction to ensure that the correct person boards the aircraft. The intent of the passenger is irrelevant as one is not prosecuting a case and seeking to determine guilt. Your argument employs faulty logic. Why screen pax for prohibited items if the intent if most pax intent is not to do something negative. The prevention of a negative act does not occur if one waits until after the event occurs. The FA onboard was not too bright either.
The fact is that this should not have occurred. You are naive if you believe that the airline will investigate and act to prevent a reoccurrence. The Canadian airline industry as a whole has failed to self regulate. This is a reportable event and should be reported.
RangerNS likes this.
Old Dec 28, 2017, 6:23 pm

Programs: *$ Green
Originally Posted by ulyparis
And the Mexican and US authorities as well as the flight path was certainly over US territory.
What about the Cyber police?
Old Jan 3, 2018, 2:21 pm
Original Poster

Related to this trip. Can someone check if I am missing something? My ticket said this:
Cancn - Toronto
Changes
Before day of departure - The change fee per direction, per passenger, is $75.00CAD plus applicable taxes and any fare
difference. Changes can be made up to 2 hours before departure.
Day of departure, at check-in or at the airport - changes are permitted free of charge and subject to availability.

As I read this same day change is free? At check-in I was told no, it was $100. After a long and painful conversation where the agent refused to even look at my printed ticket they said they would waive it as we both had status. I wrote to Customer Service who just wrote back and told me "respecffully" I was wrong and it was $100.
I have respectfully written back but maybe I am misreading? (P fare, issued in May, flew in December).

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.