Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Whats AC/AE 's responsibility when missed connection

Old Dec 20, 17, 4:12 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Eupgrade4Lyfe, Gifted E50K, 777HDPeasant or The Unexpected Virtue of Ignorance and Narcissism.

Hey guys, because the YYZ BCN route is run by rouge... I am booking I on AC via AE fares to Paris or London, then purchase separate tickets to fly from LHR or CDG to BCN on the same day.

Haven't decided which airline to buy LHR BCN yet, but likely BA or Norwegian Air Shuttle. Just need to understand what would happen if AC delays our initial YYZ LHR flight resulting us missing the LHR BCN flight?

IE: Are they responsible for change fees or putting us on the next available flight? Or will they just tell us to pound sand. I plan on building a three plus hour layover in LHR which should be enough even with moderate delays but not sure if its too short or even necessary.
Old Dec 20, 17, 4:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE MM, Bonvoy Tit, HH Diamond, Hyatt Glob, Accor Gold, UA Silver
If you book a "connection" that would be below MCT, they owe you nothing.

Otherwise, the IROP guide says they must get you to your destination.

However, why not just book YYZ-LHR-MUC/FRA/ZRH/etc-BCN?
Old Dec 20, 17, 4:16 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Eupgrade4Lyfe, Gifted E50K, 777HDPeasant or The Unexpected Virtue of Ignorance and Narcissism.
Originally Posted by canadiancow View Post
If you book a "connection" that would be below MCT, they owe you nothing.

Otherwise, the IROP guide says they must get you to your destination.

However, why not just book YYZ-LHR-MUC/FRA/ZRH/etc-BCN?
I cant as Mini RTW only gives me two stops.

I am planning out a once in a lifetime trip(for me, I realize this is prob a weekend getaway for you :P ), Plan is YYZ-CDG(STOP)) - PVG(STOP) - SYD(Point of Turnaround) - YYZ

But just to check again, even though they are separate tickets booked on separate airlines, I am still safe?
Old Dec 20, 17, 4:32 pm

Programs: Frontier 100K, AC SE100K, BA Gold, WN A-/CP, Hyatt Globalist
Officually, according to the guidelines published to travel agents, air canada requires you to have booked at least two hours between to another airine on a separate ticket.

In practice, you will be putting up a huge fight, have to argue with contract agents in an outstation, etc. I have no basis for this guess but I'd speculate more than half the folks that encounter a missed connection to another carrier due to AC pay fees for a few flight or pay change fees.

Don't even think of checking bags in this...(or any) scenario.
Old Dec 20, 17, 4:32 pm

Originally Posted by Jumper Jack View Post

IE: Are they responsible for change fees or putting us on the next available flight? Or will they just tell us to pound sand. I plan on building a three plus hour layover in LHR which should be enough even with moderate delays but not sure if its too short or even necessary.
Pound sand, I think
skybluesea likes this.
Old Dec 20, 17, 4:57 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by expert7700 View Post
Officually, according to the guidelines published to travel agents, air canada requires you to have booked at least two hours between to another airine on a separate ticket.

In practice, you will be putting up a huge fight, have to argue with contract agents in an outstation, etc. I have no basis for this guess but I'd speculate more than half the folks that encounter a missed connection to another carrier due to AC pay fees for a few flight or pay change fees.

Don't even think of checking bags in this...(or any) scenario.
I Imagine if its a miss I will call Concierge right away, surely they would follow the published guideline rule.
But I will also book the flight 2 hours later to be sure
Old Dec 20, 17, 5:00 pm

My understanding is that if, at check-in, the connections and separate tickets are all stitched together and are 'on-line' connections, with bags checked through, that the onwards airline will take care of you.

But if you do a bunch of online (not to be confused with 'on-line') check-ins for your various tickets, and don't have your bags checked through, you're basically SOL.

When you check in for an AC flight, you can present your onwards BA ticket to AC, and AC will be able to check you in for the BA flight, issue you a boarding card, and check your bags through to the final destination. If AC is delayed, I am pretty sure that BA will accept your late arrival and re-book accordingly.

However, if your separate tickets are not linked, and you do not have an "on-line" check-in ("on-line" != "online"), then you appear to be a no-show in the onward airline's eyes, and are subject to the full schema of change fees, penalties, etc.
Old Dec 20, 17, 5:03 pm

I Imagine if its a miss I will call Concierge right away, surely they would follow the published guideline rule.
But I will also book the flight 2 hours later to be sure
CALL concierge? Don't you gave gifted E50k?

I am really struggling to find the agent travel disruption PDF which listed the scenario, as the 2hrs I listed are from my recollection of that PDF. This scenario (connecting to non 014-ticket is NOT listed in the current travel agent IROP policy or schedule change policy.

Hopefully someone can post a link.
Old Dec 20, 17, 5:05 pm
Original Poster

CALL concierge? Don't you gave gifted E50k?

I am really struggling to find the agent travel disruption PDF which listed the scenario, as the 2hrs I listed are from my recollection of that PDF. This scenario (connecting to non 014-ticket is NOT listed in the current travel agent IROP policy or schedule change policy.

Hopefully someone can post a link.
I will be flying international business class so I think I have access/
Old Dec 20, 17, 5:09 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by pitz View Post
My understanding is that if, at check-in, the connections and separate tickets are all stitched together and are 'on-line' connections, with bags checked through, that the onwards airline will take care of you.

But if you do a bunch of online (not to be confused with 'on-line') check-ins for your various tickets, and don't have your bags checked through, you're basically SOL.

When you check in for an AC flight, you can present your onwards BA ticket to AC, and AC will be able to check you in for the BA flight, issue you a boarding card, and check your bags through to the final destination. If AC is delayed, I am pretty sure that BA will accept your late arrival and re-book accordingly.

However, if your separate tickets are not linked, and you do not have an "on-line" check-in ("on-line" != "online"), then you appear to be a no-show in the onward airline's eyes, and are subject to the full schema of change fees, penalties, etc.
How do I link BA ticket to an aeroplan ticket? And is it only BA?
Old Dec 20, 17, 5:17 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend and Moderator: Air Canada Aeroplan, Canada & Manufactured Spending

I plan on building a three plus hour layover in LHR which should be enough even with moderate delays but not sure if its too short or even necessary.
Three hours really isn't too much for LHR if you're 6+ months out as the inevitable schedule changes could eat into that gap. If you are intent on booking separate tickets I'd at least double that connection time if possible but that's merely MHO.
Jumper Jack likes this.
Old Dec 20, 17, 5:22 pm

I found the official IROP policy and attached a copy.

AC has to deliver you to your destination 2+ hours late for them to assume responsibility for a missed connection on another airline/ticket. I was wrong or the policy changed from the pdf I was thinking of in my post above...AC being 2+ hours late is quite different than must book at least a 2hr connection.

AC should be able to handle this if their agents are still working at the airport, if the lounge is open and accessible, etc. Also be prepared for someone involved to try passing the buck and telling you to call Aeroplan and find out the hard way that Aeroplan is closed between midnight and 7am EST.

​​​​​​Jack, another ? is how long are your CDG and PVG stops? Aeroplan lets you do a 24hr as a connection. You can often trick this into 36-40 hours by doing a $75 confirmed same day change or free standby for an earlier flight.

Extreme example because I know these times don't really exist: If there is a 12:15am LHR flight and an 11pm LHR flight, book the later one with as close to 24hr connection as possible. Then SDC or standby for the 1215am flight to add 22hrs to your 24hr connection.

I will be flying international business class so I think I have access/
You have access at the airport but not by phone. If you are able to find someone to radio to try go find the concierge. At LHR, my least favorite airport to connect at, it may be tricky.

Originally Posted by pitz View Post
...If AC is delayed, I am pretty sure that BA will accept your late arrival and re-book accordingly.
BA would have no documented responsibility to do so.
Attached Images
File Type: pdf
Irregular_Operations.pdf (160.7 KB, 141 views)
Jumper Jack and songsc like this.

Last edited by expert7700; Dec 20, 17 at 5:53 pm
Old Dec 20, 17, 5:42 pm
Original Poster

You know what economy plus at BA with free same day change is only 10 Euros more so I will just go for that to be safe. But it would be nice if someone has AC's specific rule for something like this (Or have encountered this in the past)
Old Dec 20, 17, 6:02 pm
Suspended

Programs: AC SE100K, Marriott Elite/Ambassador. NEXUS, National
AC doesn't care if you miss important sales meetings, cruises, funerals, or weddings. Why would they care if you miss connecting on to another airline?
Old Dec 20, 17, 6:03 pm
Original Poster

I found the official IROP policy and attached a copy.

AC has to deliver you to your destination 2+ hours late for them to assume responsibility for a missed connection on another airline/ticket. I was wrong or the policy changed from the pdf I was thinking of in my post above...AC being 2+ hours late is quite different than must book at least a 2hr connection.

AC should be able to handle this if their agents are still working at the airport, if the lounge is open and accessible, etc. Also be prepared for someone involved to try passing the buck and telling you to call Aeroplan and find out the hard way that Aeroplan is closed between midnight and 7am EST.

​​​​​​Jack, another ? is how long are your CDG and PVG stops? Aeroplan lets you do a 24hr as a connection. You can often trick this into 36-40 hours by doing a $75 confirmed same day change or free standby for an earlier flight.

Extreme example because I know these times don't really exist: If there is a 12:15am LHR flight and an 11pm LHR flight, book the later one with as close to 24hr connection as possible. Then SDC or standby for the 1215am flight to add 22hrs to your 24hr connection.

You have access at the airport but not by phone. If you are able to find someone to radio to try go find the concierge. At LHR, my least favorite airport to connect at, it may be tricky.

BA would have no documented responsibility to do so.
Want to give you a YUGE shoutout for the pdf, really really appreciate it!
My PVG and CDG stops both require days so I think unfortunately it wont work

Search this Thread
Search Engine: