FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Air Canada | Aeroplan (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/air-canada-aeroplan-375/)
-   -   Booking AC with Avion points (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/air-canada-aeroplan/1883809-booking-ac-avion-points.html)

F 1 Dec 20, 2017 12:10 pm

Booking AC with Avion points

Having a bit of trouble attempting to redeem RBC Avion points for an AC flight. It's a multi-city itinerary (just two segments), but the system won't give me the option of booking my return segment on my desired AC flight.

The online booking engine only lists a Westjet option, and i'm guessing it's because my outbound segment is on Aeromexico. The only way I can get AC to appear as the return option is if I select AC on the outbound too.

Has anyone found a way around that? If I phone the RBC agent, would they be able to book this schedule for me (Aeromexico on the outbound and AC for the return)? Thanks

JordanYVR Dec 20, 2017 12:20 pm

If you can't find it online on the tool, you can call them and request a reference #. You can then book directly (using your Avion) and they will trade your points based on the redemption schedule.

The agent will verify availability using the booking tool before providing you a reference #.

F 1 Dec 20, 2017 12:34 pm

Originally Posted by JordanYVR (Post 29198045)
If you can't find it online on the tool, you can call them and request a reference #. You can then book directly (using your Avion) and they will trade your points based on the redemption schedule.

The agent will verify availability using the booking tool before providing you a reference #.

Would that work, even if it required me to book direct two one-way tickets with different carriers (one AC, one AM), while attempting to redeem one multi-city return ticket using the redemption schedule?

JordanYVR Dec 20, 2017 2:45 pm

Originally Posted by F 1 (Post 29198112)
Would that work, even if it required me to book direct two one-way tickets with different carriers (one AC, one AM), while attempting to redeem one multi-city return ticket using the redemption schedule?

I've booked a 1-way before but it was an exception rather than the rule. Two one-ways should be fine as it sounds like a RT.

The best way to confirm for your specific situation is to call in to RBC.

cperciva Dec 20, 2017 8:05 pm

Originally Posted by JordanYVR (Post 29198045)
If you can't find it online on the tool, you can call them and request a reference #. You can then book directly

Does this get around the fact that Avion reward flights don't earn AQM? Or does RBC somehow call up Air Canada and get the flight changed to be a non-AQM flight?

monkai Dec 20, 2017 9:25 pm

Originally Posted by cperciva (Post 29199568)
Does this get around the fact that Avion reward flights don't earn AQM? Or does RBC somehow call up Air Canada and get the flight changed to be a non-AQM flight?

This should work, I've earned AQM on a ticket booked by my TA but later had a credit applied for avion points used.

JordanYVR Dec 20, 2017 10:58 pm

Originally Posted by monkai (Post 29199790)
This should work, I've earned AQM on a ticket booked by my TA but later had a credit applied for avion points used.

Yes, it's worked for me in the past as well.