Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Using sports gear handling for non sports things

Old Dec 20, 2017, 10:20 am
Original Poster

Programs: AC P25k

For Christmas my dad is making me a piece of furniture (some assembly required) and trying to figure out the best way to fly back with it.

With prestige I get free sports gear for one of my checked bags, so was hoping I could put it in a bicycle box (meeting all of Air Canada’s restrictions for size and weight for a bicycle, which is a lot more than a standard bag).

If it’s the same size and weight and shape as a bicycle does Air Canada care what’s inside? When I’ve travelled with sports gear before I never remember them checking, they just put a tag and send you to the oversized screening (flying out of YYZ) so trying to decide whether to chance it
Old Dec 20, 2017, 10:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE 2MM; UA MP Premier Silver; Marriott Bonvoy LT Titanium Elite; Radisson; Avis PC
Welcome to FT.

This probably doesn't help you feel better about your specific question but when I used to check-in skis, I would often stuff the ski bag with a bunch of other non-ski-related items along with the skis and poles. Clothes, food, etc. Nobody batted an eye.
Old Dec 20, 2017, 10:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC*SE 2MM
Don't ask don't tell. They will just assume it is a bike and bung it on board.
Old Dec 20, 2017, 11:17 am
Suspended

Programs: Air Canada Super Elite 2+ Million Miles
Originally Posted by The Lev
Don't ask don't tell. They will just assume it is a bike and bung it on board.
What remarkably poor advice...

When the furniture gets damaged in transit because NOT properly handled as might a cargo shipment which is correctly labelled, then OP gets the shaft trying to make a claim.

Plus, your advocating breaking the Tariff, where AC specifies what can be carried under Sports Equipment provisions.
https://www.aircanada.com/ca/en/aco/...ial-items.html

OP...this shipment could get far more expensive than you expect, if something goes wrong...
Old Dec 20, 2017, 11:18 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by yyznomad
Welcome to FT.

This probably doesn't help you feel better about your specific question but when I used to check-in skis, I would often stuff the ski bag with a bunch of other non-ski-related items along with the skis and poles. Clothes, food, etc. Nobody batted an eye.
Yes, until something goes wrong...

The advice here says NO clothing, so you will be out of luck if lost or damaged.
Old Dec 20, 2017, 11:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC*SE 2MM
Originally Posted by skybluesea
The advice here says NO clothing, so you will be out of luck if lost or damaged.
I've packed clothing in my ski bag many times. Never been an issue with the airline and helps prevent damage to the skis. I understand and accept that if damage happens to my clothes, that's on me.
skybluesea likes this.
Old Dec 20, 2017, 12:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE 2MM; UA MP Premier Silver; Marriott Bonvoy LT Titanium Elite; Radisson; Avis PC
Yes, until something goes wrong...

I'm good with that. I'll try my luck yet again when and if I do it for the 101st time.

Besides, according to employees who work at the airport, the website is wrong anyway.
Old Dec 20, 2017, 1:39 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by yyznomad
I'm good with that. I'll try my luck yet again when and if I do it for the 101st time.
Not everyone is as fortunate as you are...
AC Baggage Handlers Toss Bags 20Ft! VIDEO!
Damaged Luggage

best wishes to you and yours
Old Dec 20, 2017, 2:09 pm

Programs: AC E75 / Marriott Titanium Elite
If you're willing to risk the damage and being caught, I say go for it, no real risk IMO. I do suggest also being prepared if found out to either pay for it or have plenty of time in order to make other arrangements before the flight.
Old Dec 20, 2017, 2:53 pm

Programs: ACSEMM QRGold SPGLifetimePlat FairmontPlat HyattD AMEXCenturion SerenaPlat TalkBoard Founding Member
The number of solar systems I've taken masquerading as bikes is insane. Many of the "bikes" have weighed a touch over 32kg.
Old Dec 20, 2017, 3:24 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by Dorian
The number of solar systems I've taken masquerading as bikes is insane. Many of the "bikes" have weighed a touch over 32kg.
So when AC introduces New Enhancements to the Tariff to address this type of pervasive cheating of goods that should be handled as cargo, NOBODY on this thread will complain...right?

ps...for the sake of all our safe journeys, trust none of these solar systems are powered by anything on this list?
https://www.aircanada.com/ca/en/aco/...ted-items.html
Old Dec 20, 2017, 3:32 pm

Programs: Free Agent
To complicate the what has been allowed: we routinely put our displays around the world in golf bags so that they tow easily in large convention halls. Never had an issue; if we did, i would look to my insurance vs relying solely on AC or any other airline.
Old Dec 20, 2017, 3:51 pm

Programs: airlines and hotels and rental cars - oh my!
Might work, it might not - it depends who you get at the airport. I had an AC supervisor in YVR refuse to accept a display case as oversized baggage, even though I'd dragged it to trade shows all over North America for years as such. Nope said this one guy, it HAS to go cargo. So I had to throw it in a cab, go to the cargo terminal at YVR and spend another $200 to ship it home - with the proviso it would get there in three to five days. Then had to cab it back to the main terminal and missed my flight, all because some twit's hat was too tight.
Old Dec 20, 2017, 4:03 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by Symmetre
Might work, it might not - it depends who you get at the airport. I had an AC supervisor in YVR refuse to accept a display case as oversized baggage, even though I'd dragged it to trade shows all over North America for years as such. Nope said this one guy, it HAS to go cargo. So I had to throw it in a cab, go to the cargo terminal at YVR and spend another $200 to ship it home - with the proviso it would get there in three to five days. Then had to cab it back to the main terminal and missed my flight, all because some twit's hat was too tight.
Did you request refund afterwards, if your display case was within limits?

You will need to contact Air Canada Cargo if you're travelling with bags that exceed:
32 kg (70 lb) in weight,
292 cm (115 in) in linear dimensions, and/or
203 cm (80 in) in length.
Old Dec 20, 2017, 5:15 pm

Programs: ACSEMM QRGold SPGLifetimePlat FairmontPlat HyattD AMEXCenturion SerenaPlat TalkBoard Founding Member
So when AC introduces New Enhancements to the Tariff to address this type of pervasive cheating of goods that should be handled as cargo, NOBODY on this thread will complain...right?
I will not complain, but it'll be fun watching enforcement.

ps...for the sake of all our safe journeys, trust none of these solar systems are powered by anything on this list?
https://www.aircanada.com/ca/en/aco/...ted-items.html
Ya, but only a gas power curling iron and dry ice.
skybluesea likes this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.