Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Question: Retired SE losing elite. Can a current SE help?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Question: Retired SE losing elite. Can a current SE help?

Search this Thread

Old Dec 19, 2017, 1:32 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Aeroplan Elite, IHG PC Platinum, Delta Hotels Platinum Plus, National Executive Elite
Retired SE losing elite. Can a current SE help?

I've been Elite most of my working career, usually E75K or SE. I always earned my status on segments rather than miles, so have no million mile Elite for Life eligibility. I retired in 2017 and my personal travel won't get me to E35K. Other than begging a current SE to grant me there unused E50K benefit, are there any other paths to Elite status for a retired road warrior? Thanks!
Old Dec 19, 2017, 1:33 pm

Programs: Only J via Peasant Points, 777HDPeasant or The Unexpected Virtue of Ignorance and Narcissism.
Bro

That's a pretty big ask lol, you are pretty much asking them to give up 50 eup which is easily worth 750 to 1000 bucks
Old Dec 19, 2017, 1:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE 2MM; UA MP Premier Silver; Marriott Bonvoy LT Titanium Elite; Radisson; Avis PC
Withdraw more from your RRSP to fund Flight Pass purchases? You'll have to pay more income tax though.
Crappy advice, but it works.
gcashin and Jumper Jack like this.
Old Dec 19, 2017, 1:38 pm

Programs: Lost it all and don't care
If you can wing it, two long haul trips in paid J..................that's all I need to do on United to hit Gold (E50 on AC) each year.
Old Dec 19, 2017, 2:30 pm

Programs: IHG Gold
Originally Posted by per4mer
I've been Elite most of my working career, usually E75K or SE. I always earned my status on segments rather than miles, so have no million mile Elite for Life eligibility. I retired in 2017 and my personal travel won't get me to E35K. Other than begging a current SE to grant me there unused E50K benefit, are there any other paths to Elite status for a retired road warrior? Thanks!
No offense but that is one heck of a request. . Any status I earn on AC comes out of my own pocket....all of it. No business flights whatsoever and if I am going to give some perks away, family members come first.

How many Elite status gifts did you give away in your working career to people you don't know?
Old Dec 19, 2017, 2:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE 2MM; UA MP Premier Silver; Marriott Bonvoy LT Titanium Elite; Radisson; Avis PC
Originally Posted by mapleg
No offense but that is one heck of a request. . Any status I earn on AC comes out of my own pocket....all of it. No business flights whatsoever and if I am going to give some perks away, family members come first.
According to the FOTSG armchair "how dare you" experts here, apparently self-funded travel and status is not possible.
Old Dec 19, 2017, 2:39 pm

Programs: AC SE100K, F9 100k, NK Gold, UA *S, Hyatt Glob, Bonvoy Titanium
Speaking of self-funded travel and status, if you want a laugh go to the Southwest forum

Many FTers get 91% of the way to companion pass status simply by signing up for 2 credit cards. That means, unlimited buy 1 get 1 free tickets for 23 months. Any fare basis, even if the 'paid' traveller redeems miles.

Then they want FTers, many whom are travel veterans doing 50-100 paid flights a year, to help them get the rest of the way there without ever booking a single paid flight.
Old Dec 19, 2017, 3:42 pm

Programs: Aeroplan, Mileage Plus, WestJet Gold, AMEX Plat
I have a slightly different problem. I earned my K35k spending avion points. Company card that has high spend. Due to changes in how avion rewards are awarded I am not going to make status on AC anymore. I am going over to WestJet and Delta for most of my travel coupled with an AMEX Platinum card for lounge access.

There is always the AMEX Aero Platinum cards for lounge access if you want to stay with AC.

If you are willing to go over to dark side (well teal side), the AMEX regular Platinum provides access in the lounges in the correct area of the airport. An RBC Mastercard provides free baggage and upgraded status on the airline with teal on its tail. (Now that AC is painting black masks on its aircraft would that not make it the dark side, however I am getting off topic).
Transpacificflyer likes this.
Old Dec 19, 2017, 3:44 pm
Suspended

Programs: AC
Originally Posted by Fiordland
There is always the AMEX Aero Platinum cards for lounge access.

If you are willing to go over to dark side (well teal side), the AMEX regular Platinum provides access in the lounges in the correct area of the airport. An RBC Mastercard provides free baggage and upgraded status on the airline with teal on its tail. (Now that AC is painting black masks on its aircraft would that not make it the dark side, however I am getting off topic).
If eligible I'd suggest the original poster to look at the Infinite privilege visa cards
Old Dec 19, 2017, 3:56 pm

Programs: *$ Green
Other than begging a current SE to grant me there unused E50K benefit, are there any other paths to Elite status for a retired road warrior? Thanks!
Easiest way is to spend $6,000 with AC and getting either 50,000 AQM or 45 AQS.
gcashin likes this.

Last edited by tcook052; Dec 19, 2017 at 4:19 pm Reason: off topic
Old Dec 19, 2017, 4:18 pm
Suspended

Programs: Anything with sweet spots
and why should you get more sympathy over someone who never had it and would like to experience it one year, just because you were SE in the past ?
Old Dec 19, 2017, 5:23 pm

Programs: TK *G
How far are you to MM? It may worth it if you are close to MM and expect to continue travelling for a long time. You just need to estimate how much does E50K worth for you and how many years do you expect to travel on AC. Then simple math from there.

Many credit cards gives you "pseudo" E50K benefits, at the cost of annual fees. Again once you know how much you value the benefits it's simple math.

It's also easy to just book two TPAC round trips in J and you will have just enough AQD and AQM for E50K. Assuming you are relatively free, it should be easy to find cheap P fares and take advantage of them.
longtimeflyin likes this.
Old Dec 19, 2017, 6:02 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AC nadda, DL, WS-Nadda
I have a slightly different problem. I earned my K35k spending avion points. Company card that has high spend. Due to changes in how avion rewards are awarded I am not going to make status on AC anymore. I am going over to WestJet and Delta for most of my travel coupled with an AMEX Platinum card for lounge access.

There is always the AMEX Aero Platinum cards for lounge access if you want to stay with AC.

How do you get upgraded status on WS with the RBC card. True you get 1 free bag. But there is no seat selection for free, and no priority boarding. Two things that might make the card worthwhile.
Old Dec 19, 2017, 7:22 pm

Programs: AC 35k
You could always do what I do and just pay for J tickets. Most of the perks, less of the hassle ;-) If you're not making E35k on personal travel you're not travelling that much anymore anyway. Let it go and be happy to be on the ground more!
Old Dec 19, 2017, 7:40 pm

Programs: AC*E50, SPG Plat,
After hearing about the Avion changes for AC, I just used Avion points for UA tickets. Earned AQM for flights as recent as October.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.