Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Potential for Flatbeds on TCON/International Narrowbody

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Potential for Flatbeds on TCON/International Narrowbody

Search this Thread

Old Dec 16, 2017, 9:49 pm
Moderator, Air Canada; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE MM, FB Plat, WS Plat, BA Silver, DL GM, Marriott Plat, Hilton Gold, Accor Silver
Originally Posted by Jumper Jack
I thought the 767s are more costly to fly (burn more fuel? - please correct me if I am wrong), moving 7M8 to replace them as economic situation deteriorates and fuel price rises makes sense no?
767s burn more fuel, but they're cheap to acquire. Classic capex vs opex trade-off. When WS first expanded in to widebodies, one of their senior execs commented that over a multi-year period, the total cost to own and fly 767s was similar to 787s.

7M8s aren't really a replacement for 763s though. The rouge 763s have 282 total seats. At most, in the MAX 200 flavour that has been ordered by Ryanair, a 737-8 can seat 200. And the 7M8 doesn't have the range to handle all the routes the 763 does.
​​​​​​
At the margin, they can downgauge a route or two from 763 to 319/321 and park a 763, but 7M8s really aren't a replacement for 763s on a macro level.
Old Dec 17, 2017, 12:58 am

AC can barely sell domestic J even with heavy discounting, let alone have a market for an even more premium-er product than such. So not a chance until such time that the market changes in Canada sufficiently.

If something happens that creates a lot more people in the $3-$20M net worth range, or business actually starts paying for business class, then it certainly could be a possibility. But I think the happy balance is the occasional dispatch, particularly on the overnight redeyes, of internationally configured widebodies for repositioning flights.

The long US transcons are vibrant for that product because the east coast finance industry, and the west coast entertainment industry (including most of what passes for Silicon Valley which is largely entertainment, not actually IT) has bestowed enormous amounts of wealth on its participants. Also, there is very little domestic widebody repositioning needed in the US unlike in Canada with AC's widebody maintenance organization largely based in YYZ and YUL.
Old Dec 17, 2017, 1:01 am

Originally Posted by CZAMFlyer
They won't likely be flown anywhere west of CYYJ.
They'll go to KANC, I can pretty much guarantee you that, at some point or another. Probably even ex-YYZ in the summer, a mission that is outside of the 319/320/321's capabilities @ slightly over 3000nm.
Old Dec 17, 2017, 3:43 am

Programs: AC SE100K-1MM, Bonvoy Gold, HHonors Diamond, VIA Premier, NEXUS/GE
Originally Posted by The Lev
Some Hawaii routes perhaps?
That would be my guess as well. Hawaii going back to mainline on 7M8 and deploying Rouge aircrafts on other (new?) routes.
Old Dec 17, 2017, 6:25 am

Programs: Aeroplan (Silver), Air Miles, IHG Rewards (Platinum)
Originally Posted by pitz
They'll go to KANC, I can pretty much guarantee you that, at some point or another. Probably even ex-YYZ in the summer, a mission that is outside of the 319/320/321's capabilities @ slightly over 3000nm.
I thought YVR-ANC went to Rouge? So ANC would be a Rouge destination...

The only way AC introduces a YYZ-ANC is for cruise season. Still, I figure a larger aircraft ex-YVR (Rouge B767) or just double daily (Rouge A319 x2) would be announced before that (YYZ-ANC) happens.
Old Dec 17, 2017, 7:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC*SE 2MM
Originally Posted by Adam Smith
Probably a long time before AC starts putting 7M8s at rouge, isn't it?
Nothing prevents AC from using Rouge 763's to high-volume destinations in Hawaii and mainline to lower volume ones.

Presumably within a decade the 319's will need to be retired and will be replaced by 7M8's - but that's not what I meant.
Old Dec 17, 2017, 10:01 am

Programs: AA, AC
Originally Posted by pitz
Given that KANC is Rockhampton, Australia, I can 100% guarantee you they won't be doing that 8,000nm route.
canadiancow likes this.
Old Dec 17, 2017, 10:11 am

Nothing prevents AC from using Rouge 763's to high-volume destinations in Hawaii and mainline to lower volume ones.
Fleet constraints. It's almost certain AC is not spending the extra money to equip all the 7M8s for oceanic operations. I believe the current A320 fleet has just two fins equipped for oceanic flights (for Bermuda). They will probably do something similar with the 7M8 fleet.
Old Dec 17, 2017, 11:29 am
Suspended

Programs: AC E50 UA1k 2MM AA EXP Royal Ambassador SPG Platinum

Presumably within a decade the 319's will need to be retired and will be replaced by 7M8's - but that's not what I meant.
lots of cheap 319 around its not a desirable plane.

bigger question is Rouge now has permission to grow what plane will AC use? Lots of cheap 330's coming onto the market soon, and the good 767's are harder to find.
Old Dec 17, 2017, 11:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by After Burner
Fleet constraints. It's almost certain AC is not spending the extra money to equip all the 7M8s for oceanic operations. I believe the current A320 fleet has just two fins equipped for oceanic flights (for Bermuda). They will probably do something similar with the 7M8 fleet.
I don't think they'll equip all 7M8's for oceanic operations, but I'm betting it will be more than two. Lots of potentially tempting destinations in Europe with insufficient volume for a widebody could be profitable with the 7M8 on a seasonal basis then swung to Hawaii service over the winter. .
Old Dec 17, 2017, 12:08 pm

I don't think they'll equip all 7M8's for oceanic operations, but I'm betting it will be more than two. Lots of potentially tempting destinations in Europe with insufficient volume for a widebody could be profitable with the 7M8 on a seasonal basis then swung to Hawaii service over the winter. .
Europe is not an issue. The North Atlantic route has VHF coverage. Bermuda and Hawaii do not.
Old Dec 17, 2017, 12:30 pm

Programs: AC 75K
Originally Posted by flybit
lots of cheap 319 around its not a desirable plane.

bigger question is Rouge now has permission to grow what plane will AC use? Lots of cheap 330's coming onto the market soon, and the good 767's are harder to find.
They only have permission to grow the narrow body fleet. My guess is additional A319s from mainline that were originally slated for return to the lessor.
Old Dec 17, 2017, 12:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by After Burner
Europe is not an issue. The North Atlantic route has VHF coverage. Bermuda and Hawaii do not.
Aren't extra life rafts required for Europe?

I was under the impression that AC had to use specially equipped A320's for YYT-LHR.
Old Dec 17, 2017, 1:06 pm

Programs: AC SE, UA, National Exec Elite, Nexus, GE

I was under the impression that AC had to use specially equipped A320's for YYT-LHR.
A319s, not A320. FINs C-GITP and C-GITR.
Old Dec 17, 2017, 1:16 pm

I don't know, but you're probably right about that. But my understanding is that the really (surprisingly) expensive requirement is HF radio, which is needed for TPAC and Bermuda. On a relatively inexpensive private airplane HF can cost $100-200k. I can only imagine the cost on a 737.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.