Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Flight pass and Amex Insurance Coverage

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 11, 2017, 8:06 am
Original Poster

Programs: AC SE100K MM

There is a thread about Aeroplan bookings and CC insurance coverage. Good to know.

Since I travel mostly on Flight Passes, does anyone know if these flights are covered? Agents on the phone gave different answers.
Old Dec 11, 2017, 8:11 am

Programs: AP*SE SPG-PLAT
Originally Posted by Cozmo456
There is a thread about Aeroplan bookings and CC insurance coverage. Good to know.

Since I travel mostly on Flight Passes, does anyone know if these flights are covered? Agents on the phone gave different answers.
I have successfully made claims with my Amex Plat when using a flight pass. you need to make sure you have the original receipt and demonstrate how the ticket you booked for flight maps to the flight pass
Old Dec 11, 2017, 8:41 am

Do you have access to the policy wordings from your CC company. It would be helpful if you copy and pasted the section on when the coverage applies. There will typically be a section that indicates stipulations on now the ticket is purchased.
Old Dec 11, 2017, 3:10 pm

Programs: AMEX AC CX UA AA DL
As long as you can demonstrate that the flights are 100% paid for by the AMEX card. Say if you purchased an all-inclusive tour that includes air fare and you charged everything to the card, including any additional taxes, service fees etc., that flights would be.

-- AMEX Platinum ---- Flight and Baggage Delay; Loss or Stolen Baggage ----------

Full Fare - means 100% of the airline ticket price, including taxes, was charged to the card. Full fare is extended to include airline tickets obtained through the redemption of points from the card reward program when applicable taxes have been charged to the card..

Coverage begins when the baggage has been checked-in and is in the care, custody and control of a scheduled airline or charter airline, and for carry on baggage when the insured person boards the aircraft, provided that the full fare of the airline ticket is charged in advance to the cardmember’s card.
Old Dec 11, 2017, 10:00 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by zsm1928
I have successfully made claims with my Amex Plat when using a flight pass. you need to make sure you have the original receipt and demonstrate how the ticket you booked for flight maps to the flight pass
It is the mapping that concerns me. AC does not print the flight pass ticket number on the FP flight to make the relationship.
Old Dec 11, 2017, 10:41 pm

Programs: AC E35K, NEXUS
I believe the flight pass transaction records show a date of purchase that will match the purchase ticket number and the individual flight segment redemption.
I know it's not Amex insurance claim, but I have no difficulty satisfying the accounting weasels for reimbursement.
Old Dec 12, 2017, 7:45 am

Programs: Free Agent
Originally Posted by Cozmo456
It is the mapping that concerns me. AC does not print the flight pass ticket number on the FP flight to make the relationship.
Have done this several times. You need to show the chain of proof from the original purchase of the FP (with AMEX), then the itinerary for the trip you planned. I also print off the 'flight credit value' for the pass to help make the math easier.

The only watch out: If it is a cancellation before flight and the FP credit is 'refundable at no charge' to your account- AMEX will deem you are not out any $$ so no claim for the air portion other than the delay coverage, hotel, etc. Bummer when it winds up with you holding an orphan credit...
Old Dec 12, 2017, 10:30 am
Original Poster

Thanks for the info.

Let's hope I never have to make a claim.
Old Dec 12, 2017, 5:39 pm

Programs: Aeroplan
I just received a cheque in mail 2 days ago from my AMEX Card insurance for delayed luggage on a flight that was booked via a Flight pass.

All I had to do was prove that this flight was booked on a flight pass; and that this flight pass was purchased using their AMEX Card - this was all pretty easy ... the worst part was that it took the insurance company 45+ days to get me the cheque ...
Old Jul 24, 2019, 4:03 am
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AC E50k, A3*G, UA*S, MR Titanium, HHonors Gold, Carlson Gold, NEXUS
Not necessarily amex insurance, but has anyone tried claiming a delay/etc on insurance with a Scotia card (especially the Passport Visa Infinite)? I called Scotia Assist, and one agent said the flight delay coverage would still be in effect, whereas another agent said that the trip cancel/interruption wouldn't.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.