Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Question: CIBC Aerogold VISA Infinite Privilege & Altitude Status Question

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Question: CIBC Aerogold VISA Infinite Privilege & Altitude Status Question

Search this Thread

Old Dec 7, 2017, 9:32 am
Original Poster

CIBC Aerogold VISA Infinite Privilege & Altitude Status Question

Hello,

Just a quick question for you experts. I have the CIBC Aerogold VISA infinite privilege card, which gets me one checked bag included free.

This year, in October I reached the Altitude Prestige 25k level. I am not likely to reach 35k by the end of the year. For a while, the AC Altitude website said that my "Qualification was pending" and that "early next year" I will be getting the benefits of prestige 25k. However, now the AC Altitude website has changed and shows that I have reached the prestige 25K and my Air Canada app reflects this as well with a digital card.

Even though it's still only Dec 2017, does this now mean I have two free checked bags? One via my CIBC credit card and one via the Prestige 25k status?

Thanks,
Old Dec 7, 2017, 12:36 pm

Programs: AC Black Card, Nexus
Originally Posted by Superman1x
Hello,

Just a quick question for you experts. I have the CIBC Aerogold VISA infinite privilege card, which gets me one checked bag included free.

This year, in October I reached the Altitude Prestige 25k level. I am not likely to reach 35k by the end of the year. For a while, the AC Altitude website said that my "Qualification was pending" and that "early next year" I will be getting the benefits of prestige 25k. However, now the AC Altitude website has changed and shows that I have reached the prestige 25K and my Air Canada app reflects this as well with a digital card.

Even though it's still only Dec 2017, does this now mean I have two free checked bags? One via my CIBC credit card and one via the Prestige 25k status?

Thanks,
IIRC there is no wait for P25k status, and if the app has updated and has given you a digital card it means you have your status. AC also recently just did a status update sweep.
So you have your P25k benefits.

As for your CIBC credit card, I dont know the card for sure, but most AP CC's have perks only for when you book a reward flight.

Hope that helps, cheers
Old Dec 7, 2017, 1:31 pm

Programs: Aeroplan; Marriott Platinum; IHG Platinum; Best Western Diamond
The CIBC ae card gives you one free checked bag only if you booked reward travel, from your own ae account.

Unless there is something else you really need from the CIBC privilege card, the $399 annual fee is quite high, not worth it for most people.
Old Dec 7, 2017, 5:45 pm

Programs: FOTSG Tangerine Ex E35k (AC)
It’s hard to tell given the calculator is broken, but doesn’t P25k still get 2x23kg bags anyway? I doubt you’ll get a 3rd from any card, the $120 or $400 one.

The $400 one will give you priority boarding and security too however, I believe. For all flights, not just AP ones.
Old Dec 7, 2017, 6:04 pm
Original Poster

Smile

Originally Posted by yscleo
The CIBC ae card gives you one free checked bag only if you booked reward travel, from your own ae account.

Unless there is something else you really need from the CIBC privilege card, the $399 annual fee is quite high, not worth it for most people.

No, this is not true. You get a single free bag checked on any AC flight, no matter how it's booked, provided you've attached your aeroplan number. I never get charged. Fortunately, I get the card free. In fact, it's listed on their website:

https://www.cibc.com/en/personal-ban...171208005919:s
Old Dec 7, 2017, 6:05 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by jc94
It’s hard to tell given the calculator is broken, but doesn’t P25k still get 2x23kg bags anyway? I doubt you’ll get a 3rd from any card, the $120 or $400 one.

The $400 one will give you priority boarding and security too however, I believe. For all flights, not just AP ones.

Oh that's a good point. It simply says "checked baggage allowance" for prestige 25k. I just assumed that meant 1 bag. But does anyone know, does it mean 2 bags?
Old Dec 7, 2017, 6:13 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by yosemite1
IIRC there is no wait for P25k status, and if the app has updated and has given you a digital card it means you have your status. AC also recently just did a status update sweep.
So you have your P25k benefits.

As for your CIBC credit card, I dont know the card for sure, but most AP CC's have perks only for when you book a reward flight.

Hope that helps, cheers
Thanks a lot for this explanation. I just spoke to Air Canada and they said my status will not kick in until March 2018? However, as you said, the app has given me a digital card. What do I believe?

Normally I wouldn't care right away, but I have 3 upcoming flights and knowing that I can check in 2 bags for free, is going to really help!
Old Dec 7, 2017, 6:30 pm

Programs: Accor ALL Diamond, AC Aeroplan 25K, Nexus/GE
I've never found CIBC credit card benefits to be stackable with status benefits. The credit card provides the first checked bag free. If you already get one checked bag free because of your status, that doesn't mean you will get two bags free.
Old Dec 7, 2017, 6:50 pm
Moderator, Air Canada; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE MM, FB Plat, WS Plat, BA Silver, DL GM, Marriott Plat, Hilton Gold, Accor Silver
Originally Posted by Superman1x
Thanks a lot for this explanation. I just spoke to Air Canada and they said my status will not kick in until March 2018? However, as you said, the app has given me a digital card. What do I believe?

Normally I wouldn't care right away, but I have 3 upcoming flights and knowing that I can check in 2 bags for free, is going to really help!
Technically they're correct that your status doesn't officially start until March 1, but AC's IT systems don't seem capable of matching policy. If the website and the app show you as P25K, you may have success in using some of the benefits before March 1.
Old Dec 7, 2017, 9:26 pm

Programs: FOTSG Tangerine Ex E35k (AC)
Originally Posted by Adam Smith
Technically they're correct that your status doesn't officially start until March 1, but AC's IT systems don't seem capable of matching policy. If the website and the app show you as P25K, you may have success in using some of the benefits before March 1.
FWIW I got 2 bags as P25k and I think I used that status to get 1 checked bag (for free) in early Feb on. TB flight. I was P25k in 2016 however so AC may have enhanced the service... But that said the altitude website still says 2 x 23kg and shows reduced MLL vouchers so I’m assuming it’s up to date for 2018.

You may to remove and re add AP number to booking for status benefits (like Z3 boarding) to check in.

I thought status was live from whenever you selected? They advertise it as “you have now qualified”. But they don’t promise it will happen until March because it takes AC 8-12 weeks to post most of their packages.

I could be wrong here I’m about to become a FOTSG Tangerine Minion.
Old Dec 7, 2017, 9:36 pm
Moderator, Air Canada; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE MM, FB Plat, WS Plat, BA Silver, DL GM, Marriott Plat, Hilton Gold, Accor Silver
FWIW I got 2 bags as P25k and I think I used that status to get 1 checked bag (for free) in early Feb on. TB flight. I was P25k in 2016 however so AC may have enhanced the service... But that said the altitude website still says 2 x 23kg and shows reduced MLL vouchers so I’m assuming it’s up to date for 2018.

You may to remove and re add AP number to booking for status benefits (like Z3 boarding) to check in.

I thought status was live from whenever you selected? They advertise it as “you have now qualified”. But they don’t promise it will happen until March because it takes AC 8-12 weeks to post most of their packages.

I could be wrong here I’m about to become a FOTSG Tangerine Minion.
The year I first gained status, I was able to get some lounge access before the status was actually in effect, and the year I first made SE (qualified with flights on December 30th), I had SE on all my BPs etc as soon as it posted.

So, in both cases, I was enjoying benefits of a status that technically hadn't come in to effect yet. This is why I suggested OP may be able to do the same.
Old Dec 7, 2017, 10:22 pm

Programs: ex-multiyear AA EXP/OWE, now SA Gold/AC Super Elite
Originally Posted by yosemite1
Originally Posted by yscleo
The Infinite Privilege card definitely has one free checked bag, and not just on reward flights:

https://www.cibc.com/en/personal-ban...lege-card.html

To access Air Canada Priority Travel Services (the complimentary first checked bag, priority check-in and priority boarding benefit), you (the primary cardholder) must travel on a flight operated by Air Canada, Air Canada Rouge or under the Air Canada Express banner. You must include your Aeroplan number on your reservation at the time of booking or redeem your Aeroplan Flight Reward using miles from your Aeroplan Account. You must also ensure that your name on the Air Canada flight booking is identical to the name on your Aeroplan account. Priority check-in may also be extended to companions travelling on the same reservation checking in at the same time as you. Where boarding by zone is available, the priority boarding status will be recognized by a Zone 2 descriptor for you and companions travelling on the same reservation checking in at the same time as you, which will be displayed on the Air Canada-issued boarding pass(es). The complimentary first checked bag, up to 23kg (50 lb) applies solely to you and not to companions travelling with you and service charges for additional, oversized or overweight baggage may apply. Applicable on flights that do not already offer a complimentary first checked bag.
It sure does - when I had my Platinum Aeroplan Amex, it also provided that benefit.

Last edited by RichVan; Dec 7, 2017 at 10:30 pm
Old Dec 8, 2017, 1:10 am

Originally Posted by CanadaDH
I've never found CIBC credit card benefits to be stackable with status benefits. The credit card provides the first checked bag free. If you already get one checked bag free because of your status, that doesn't mean you will get two bags free.
My experience as well (though only tried once).
Old Dec 8, 2017, 6:32 pm
Original Poster

Thanks for the answers, appreciate it. I'll let you know if magically I get allowed to check in 3 bags free of charge.
Old Dec 8, 2017, 7:40 pm
Suspended

Programs: AC
Originally Posted by RichVan
It sure does - when I had my Platinum Aeroplan Amex, it also provided that benefit.
No. Absolutely not. It is not a listed benefit of the Aeroplan Platinum card by AMEX. Priority boarding is not a listed benefit.

https://www.americanexpress.com/ca/e...platinum-card/

This benefit is ONLY available for the TD/CIBC Aeroplan Infinite Privilege cards for non AP redemptions and for AP redemptions when flying AC.Thus if one is flying on an AC ticket that is not an AP redemption, then if you want the benefit which is priority boarding, you NEED an Infinite Privilege card by TD/CIBC if you don't have status and/or flying on a Latitude fare or business class. Those two cards are the only ones that grant that as a benefit.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.