Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Altitude 2018 Benefits Selection Available

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Altitude 2018 Benefits Selection Available

Search this Thread

Old Dec 12, 2017, 5:26 pm

Programs: Aeroplan
My choices were:

Bundle 1:
- 100% Altitude Bonus with Air Canada and select airline partners
- Altitude Elite 50K status for a friend

Bundle 2:
- 2,500 Altitude Qualifying Miles for eligible Flight Pass activities
Old Dec 12, 2017, 5:43 pm

Programs: OW Emerald, *A Gold
Originally Posted by alc
My guess is an overlook on AC IT on this, but you never know

Is your wife AQM/AQS/AQD are close to E50K that they might comp it?
Her AQD is past 75K status and actually more towards SE but she is not close with miles and only relatively close with segments (40 if I am not mistaken). We'll just wait and see. I am in no rush to make the decision and can certainly wait till some time in January or February.
Old Dec 12, 2017, 7:26 pm
Moderator, Air Canada; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE MM, FB Plat, WS Plat, BA Silver, DL GM, Marriott Plat, Hilton Gold, Accor Silver
Originally Posted by totti
Thank you for your input. I thought about it as well but yes, my significant other travels quite a bit without me. She has 40 segments on AC ytd out of which 35 or so are on her own. She won't make it to 50k on her own because she mostly flies short haul on expensive eco tickets that she has to book on short notice. 50k status is valuable for her because of waitlist priority and occasional lounge access. The latter does not really matter as she could the lounge with all the lounge vouchers anyways but the ability to make it on a flight that she may otherwise miss should be worth it, particularly if it's about making it home for dinner with me or staying somewhere in the middle of nowhere on her own.
Sounds like a decent choice then.

Very good question! I should rethink my priorities I really only started to fly AC this year but will likely continue to do so, in addition to some TATL BA flights.
Glad to have you then!

Originally Posted by Jebby_ca
Just received an email to select SE100K benefits... even though I selected them last week.
AC IT, what do you expect? (Same here, of course).

This year's SE100K email wasn't signed by Ben Smith though...
OUTRAGEOUS! DOESN'T HE KNOW WHO I AM?!?!?

Originally Posted by capedreamer
I asked the same question a few weeks ago. The answer:
Despite those who've rolled their eyes at this, I actually consider this to be a win overall. I'm quite certain that I save more in YQ than I spend in change fees on reward tickets. Especially since YQ seems to get more and more ridiculous all the time.

Originally Posted by totti
Quick somewhat OT question: How much can I trust AC IT?
I think others have already answered the specific question pretty well, but I'd say in general, very little. I know people on a lot of boards ..... about their airlines' IT systems, but having experienced a lot of them, I can say that AC is without doubt worse on this front than the US3 and most major European carriers (e.g. LH, BA, LX, KL).
Old Dec 12, 2017, 9:35 pm

Programs: AC E75K
Originally Posted by Adam Smith
Despite those who've rolled their eyes at this, I actually consider this to be a win overall. I'm quite certain that I save more in YQ than I spend in change fees on reward tickets. Especially since YQ seems to get more and more ridiculous all the time.
That's fair. If forced to choose between the two, I'd go for the YQ waiver as well.
Old Dec 12, 2017, 10:01 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
That's fair. If forced to choose between the two, I'd go for the YQ waiver as well.
Between YQ waiver and ONE free change per booking, I agree.

However, most of my intercontinental bookings are on other airlines, so even the YQ waiver isn't that big a deal for me. I'd rather have unlimited free changes.

Have you ever had a big booking and noticed there was a slightly better option available? Was it worth $75? There have been many times I would have liked to make a change (shorten a connection from 8 hours to 2 hours, etc.), but didn't find it worth the change fee.

I suspect I'd make 10x as many changes if I didn't have to pay a fee.
Jebby_ca likes this.
Old Dec 13, 2017, 9:05 am

Programs: AC SE MM, Bonvoy Plat, Hilton G,Nexus, Amex MR Plat,IHG Plat
Originally Posted by canadiancow
Between YQ waiver and ONE free change per booking, I agree.

However, most of my intercontinental bookings are on other airlines, so even the YQ waiver isn't that big a deal for me. I'd rather have unlimited free changes.

Have you ever had a big booking and noticed there was a slightly better option available? Was it worth $75? There have been many times I would have liked to make a change (shorten a connection from 8 hours to 2 hours, etc.), but didn't find it worth the change fee.

I suspect I'd make 10x as many changes if I didn't have to pay a fee.
And thats why you cannot have nice things :-)
Old Dec 13, 2017, 12:45 pm

Originally Posted by vernonc
And thats why you cannot have nice things :-)
We can't have nice things because we'd use them? Not sure I follow your logic

I just booked YYZ-YUL-SFO because the late-afternoon YYZ-SFO was not available on the day I wanted. My options were 0800 departure or 2330 arrival on a non-stop. The connection is 1500-2033. Of the available options, it's the best time.

The 1655-1930 non-stop would be preferred (later departure and earlier arrival), but at this point, I'm not willing to pay $75 if it opens up.
Old Dec 13, 2017, 3:38 pm

Programs: AC*SE & MM/*Wood Gold/HHonors Diamond/Marriott Silver/AirMiles Gold
YQ waiver anyday. The free changes are/were nice. But $90 change vs $600 YQ. Choice is easy

Look at that YYC-LHR thread. Kind of says it all right there
Old Dec 13, 2017, 4:18 pm

Originally Posted by lcohen999
YQ waiver anyday. The free changes are/were nice. But $90 change vs $600 YQ. Choice is easy

Look at that YYC-LHR thread. Kind of says it all right there
Choice is not so easy if you don't fly AC internationally

And it's $75, not $90.
Old Dec 13, 2017, 4:23 pm

Programs: AC SE100K, Marriott Bonvoy LTE
We can't have nice things because we'd use them? Not sure I follow your logic

I just booked YYZ-YUL-SFO because the late-afternoon YYZ-SFO was not available on the day I wanted. My options were 0800 departure or 2330 arrival on a non-stop. The connection is 1500-2033. Of the available options, it's the best time.

The 1655-1930 non-stop would be preferred (later departure and earlier arrival), but at this point, I'm not willing to pay $75 if it opens up.
I booked the 20:55 departure YYZ - SFO. If the 16:55 departure becomes available, I'd gladly pay the change fee to switch to that flight. Although on domestic/transborder routes, I'm not sure what works out better, the YQ waiver or free changes. I rarely make changes to my Aeroplan rewards as AC options are quite limited to begin with, internationally.
Old Dec 13, 2017, 4:44 pm

I booked the 20:55 departure YYZ - SFO. If the 16:55 departure becomes available, I'd gladly pay the change fee to switch to that flight. Although on domestic/transborder routes, I'm not sure what works out better, the YQ waiver or free changes. I rarely make changes to my Aeroplan rewards as AC options are quite limited to begin with, internationally.
My issue internationally is that the connectors often change their availability as time goes on. From booking a flight to the next day, a better LH connector opened up. But it's not worth $75x2.

In my case, switching to the 1655 nonstop is not worth $75, and I can't do standby because it departs after my YYZ-YUL, but now I'm just going to hope for a weather waiver for YUL
Jebby_ca likes this.
Old Dec 13, 2017, 7:29 pm

Programs: AC SE100K, Marriott Bonvoy LTE
My issue internationally is that the connectors often change their availability as time goes on. From booking a flight to the next day, a better LH connector opened up. But it's not worth $75x2.

In my case, switching to the 1655 nonstop is not worth $75, and I can't do standby because it departs after my YYZ-YUL, but now I'm just going to hope for a weather waiver for YUL
Yah, but LH connections have YQ. I guess that's where the free change benefit would be handy since you'll be paying YQ with LH either way.

I wish I could do standby for the 16:55... but that means getting to the airport insanely early for my 20:55. And the 16:55 is probably oversold, since they're only offering J now for purchase...

To bring this slightly back on topic, worth it for me to spend $75 so I can arrive at 19:30 local time instead of 23:30 local time...
Old Dec 13, 2017, 8:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE 2MM; UA MP Premier Silver; Marriott Bonvoy LT Titanium Elite; Radisson; Avis PC
Yah, but LH connections have YQ. I guess that's where the free change benefit would be handy since you'll be paying YQ with LH either way.

I wish I could do standby for the 16:55... but that means getting to the airport insanely early for my 20:55. And the 16:55 is probably oversold, since they're only offering J now for purchase...

To bring this slightly back on topic, worth it for me to spend $75 so I can arrive at 19:30 local time instead of 23:30 local time...
The "is it worth it" question and argument transcends this forum and FT. It is always subjective and never a one-size-fits-all.
So not a shocker it's worth it for you, but not for cow. And eventually something else will come up where it will become vice versa.

No different than a walk-up-full-J buyer vs. someone who "would never do that" and "who does that? that's impossible!".

The FT world keeps on spinning.
Old Dec 14, 2017, 2:42 am

Anyone else having issues not being able to select their threshold gift? I passed 90K and now 100K AQM a few days back and the option to select the gift did not appear.

Also wondering if anyone knows when they are doing another sweep for 100k? A friend who missed early recognition but qualified a few weeks back was given the new status about a week ago.

Thanks in advance.
Old Dec 14, 2017, 3:03 am

Programs: AC Lifetime SE100K, 3MM, SPG Lifetime Plat, Hertz PC, National Executive Elite
Originally Posted by CoastalFlyer
Anyone else having issues not being able to select their threshold gift? I passed 90K and now 100K AQM a few days back and the option to select the gift did not appear.

Also wondering if anyone knows when they are doing another sweep for 100k? A friend who missed early recognition but qualified a few weeks back was given the new status about a week ago.

Thanks in advance.
What is your Altitude status? If you are SE, your threshold gifts don't start until 150K AQM or 150 AQS.
canadiancow likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.