FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Air Canada | Aeroplan (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/air-canada-aeroplan-375/)
-   -   Rant about non allaince ticketing (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/air-canada-aeroplan/1880969-rant-about-non-allaince-ticketing.html)

Calchas Dec 8, 2017 3:52 am

Originally Posted by lcohen999 (Post 29141573)
Yes, that is very true and yes VA is the same. I think part of the problem is they could not even see what fare class the flight was booked into. So even if they wanted to change, who knows if they could.

What I find odd though is (I assumed) the day of , they have control of the flight. They should be able to (given rules are met) change that without affecting anything else.

Either way, I lesson learned. I was happy to connect on a VA flight from SYD to PER as the times were fine and the extra AQMs are good. I will just leave it to that.

This change may require a ticket revalidation, depending on the airline’s accounting procedures. If there was a change fee to pay, it would require the operating carrier to take ownership of the ticket, calculate the penalty, and reissue onto their own stock.

The former case is relatively straightforward, but it still requires the operating carrier to tamper with etickets on the validating carrier’s server. Since these are financial documents you only tend to see that relationship expressed for close partners and within alliances. With a paper ticket it’s very easy, you just stick the revalidation sticker on and stamp it.

Ticket training has definitely gone downhill in most parts of the world and many agents are simply not trained or paid enough to care about interline problems.

A full reissue onto a different carrier’s stock is not going to happen in under an hour.

North American airlines implement same day change in a much simpler way, perhaps because they are used to doing it regularly. As far as I understand, it doesn’t involve altering the original ticket, only the relevant flight coupon itself, which the operating carrier already obtains from the validating carrier at check in. But I think most other carriers around the world don’t see a same day change as different from any other change and would require write access to the original traffic document.

Fiordland Dec 8, 2017 8:10 am

Originally Posted by Plumber (Post 29140738)
Its not just Australia-- I have had inflexible tickets on LH in Europe and NH in Japan....Both times I offered to pay more to move to an earlier same-day flight (one of them in Business) and both times the only option was buying a whole new ticket.

LH and catching an earlier flight. What can I say, never been able to make that happen.

On a short hop, go up to the LH counter, ask if you can catch the earlier flight. The answer is no. Say, "So this means I have to sit in the LH lounge for an extra hour or two drinking LH beer and food instead of being on my way. Have a ticket agent with a somewhat not-amused look at my, Go to lounge and drink beer."

If they can't do it on a Star Alliance ticket, perhaps it is hopeless to expect it to occur on an interline.

Plumber Dec 8, 2017 8:17 am

Originally Posted by Fiordland (Post 29149523)
LH and catching an earlier flight. What can I say, never been able to make that happen.

On a short hop, go up to the LH counter, ask if you can catch the earlier flight. The answer is no. Say, "So this means I have to sit in the LH lounge for an extra hour or two drinking LH beer and food instead of being on my way. Have a ticket agent with a somewhat not-amused look at my, Go to lounge and drink beer."

If they can't do it on a Star Alliance ticket, perhaps it is hopeless to expect it to occur on an interline.

One time i went to the check in counter, then the gate , then the transfer counter and then the lounge and tried each time to get them to make a change--- I was willing to pay...It was impossible...