Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Air Canada's 'ancillary' fees for customers add up to big bucks

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 4, 2017, 5:08 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
Original Poster

Programs: HH Silver

http://www.cbc.ca/news/business/airl...fees-1.4428464

Global airlines are expected to earn a record $82 billion US this year by charging customers extra for everything from seat assignment to baggage fees to travel commissions.

And Air Canada is among the top ten airlines in the world when it comes to earning this so-called ancillary revenue, racking up nearly $1.18 billion US last year, according to reports from IdeaWorksCompany, a U.S. research company that tracks airline revenue.
Old Dec 4, 2017, 6:20 am

Programs: FOTSG Tangerine Ex E35k (AC)
Good to see they list upgrades, not clear it that includes copay along with LMU style ones. Their awesome earphones are oddly missing.
Old Dec 4, 2017, 9:32 am
Suspended

Programs: AC SE100K-1MM, NH, DL, AA, BA, Global Entry/Nexus, APEC..
Originally Posted by jc94
Good to see they list upgrades, not clear it that includes copay along with LMU style ones. Their awesome earphones are oddly missing.
Those would be in the minus column, lol. Or maybe they are in the "25% a la carte items" section of the pie chart.
Perhaps AC doesn't pay for them or perhaps there isn't a large number of pax who are willing to pay for them as well.
And of course, there isn't a line item for the collection currently held by one of our famed members.

And I was amused by this part of the CBC article sub-heading "forced to strip frills to compete". lol

Funny thing, I asked this question 3 years ago:

How much does AC earn in ancillary fees?
Old Dec 4, 2017, 10:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*1K MM
530 million from Aeroplan.
That is a lot of carrier surcharge, and fake transborder taxes.
Old Dec 4, 2017, 7:26 pm

Programs: AC E50K, HHonors Silver, NEXUS/GE, IHG Elite Gold
Considering AC is likely one of the top 10 airlines in the world it makes sense their "extra fees" are in line with their size. Note in the article $300M for WestJet in 27th place. Anyone boo-hooing over on the WS site re this article? Most people on this forum have status and don't have to normally pay for these charges since we have paid in numerous other ways. Anyway, a big yawn in my opinion. Glad AC got $1B+ in revenue to subsidize my flight passes
Old Dec 4, 2017, 8:48 pm
Suspended

Programs: AC E50 UA1k 2MM AA EXP Royal Ambassador SPG Platinum
Originally Posted by YYCJeff
Considering AC is likely one of the top 10 airlines in the world it makes sense their "extra fees" are in line with their size. )
Well AC is not on the list of the top 10 airlines in the world and is not even on the list of the top 20. However there are probably a lot if different ways to rate top 10.
https://www.routesonline.com/news/29...etwork-update/

AC does not make it to top 25 on this list, but its 1+ years old
http://atwonline.com/airline-financi...rating-revenue
Old Dec 4, 2017, 8:57 pm

Programs: FOTSG Tangerine Ex E35k (AC)
Originally Posted by flybit
Well AC is not on the list of the top 10 airlines in the world and is not even on the list of the top 20. However there are probably a lot if different ways to rate top 10.
https://www.routesonline.com/news/29...etwork-update/

AC does not make it to top 25 on this list, but its 1+ years old
http://atwonline.com/airline-financi...rating-revenue
But it is the #1 Airline in North America.
Old Dec 4, 2017, 9:03 pm

AC is the #5 airline in NA by passenger count and #5 in NA for ancillary fees. Non-story.
Old Dec 4, 2017, 9:12 pm
Suspended

Programs: AC E50 UA1k 2MM AA EXP Royal Ambassador SPG Platinum
only because AC does not consider Atlanta and Delta in America.
Old Dec 5, 2017, 12:06 am

Programs: AC SE100K MM, Princess Elite
#1 in Northern North America.
Old Sep 19, 2019, 10:46 am
Original Poster

Programs: HH Silver
https://www.ctvnews.ca/business/air-...t-it-1.4599179

MONTREAL -- All those checked bags, seating upgrades and onboard snacks you pay for on Air Canada flights are starting to add up for the company.

While the country's biggest airline lags behind other global carriers in revenue from passenger fees, it is poised to catch up after its recent purchase of the Aeroplan rewards program, a new report says.

Air Canada took in US$1.45 billion in so-called ancillary revenue last year, or about US$28.54 per passenger, according to the report Tuesday from airline consulting firm IdeaWorksCompany.
Old Sep 19, 2019, 10:53 am

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
I'm shocked at that number.

Though I also want to know the definition of "passenger" here.

Because if a SFO-YVR-YYZ booking counts me as two passengers, but I'm only paying one checked bag fee, then... I'm even more shocked at that number.
Old Sep 19, 2019, 11:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*1K MM
Originally Posted by canadiancow
I'm shocked at that number.

Though I also want to know the definition of "passenger" here.

Because if a SFO-YVR-YYZ booking counts me as two passengers, but I'm only paying one checked bag fee, then... I'm even more shocked at that number.
I am not. Thats below a cost of a single checked bag. If a family of 4 wants to sit together on AC - fork over $200+. An average of only $28 actually surprises me that its that low, given the broad scope of what extras it includes.

I think we tend to forget that like 95% of AC pax have no status to get free bags/free seats. I guess if your example counts as 2pax - its a bit less shocking that it's so low.

Have you ever tried to price out a basic Y ticket without status on AC - its obscene what the extra charges are.

I am actually shocked that the increase is only 250 million over 2 years. I guess we've come to the point where its becoming harder to squeeze more money per pax.
Old Sep 19, 2019, 11:42 am

Programs: Aeroplan SE100K, Accor Platinum, Bonvoy Titanium Elite, BW Diamond, Hertz President's Circle
With Aeroplan under their wing (see what I did there), won't AC puts in their book revenue for some Aeroplan rewards even though on a cash basis it's not getting them money?

e g. if you use points for bags checked or upgrades instead of buying on Amazon through Aeroplan, they would calculate this as $?

Last edited by theBeachBoy; Sep 19, 2019 at 12:47 pm
Old Sep 19, 2019, 11:52 am
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AC E50k, A3*G, UA*S, MR Titanium, HHonors Gold, Carlson Gold, NEXUS
Originally Posted by rankourabu
I am not. Thats below a cost of a single checked bag. If a family of 4 wants to sit together on AC - fork over $200+. An average of only $28 actually surprises me that its that low, given the broad scope of what extras it includes.

I think we tend to forget that like 95% of AC pax have no status to get free bags/free seats. I guess if your example counts as 2pax - its a bit less shocking that it's so low.

Have you ever tried to price out a basic Y ticket without status on AC - its obscene what the extra charges are.

I am actually shocked that the increase is only 250 million over 2 years. I guess we've come to the point where its becoming harder to squeeze more money per pax.
I usually just book standard and let the AC gods place me where they may (they're usually nice). I'm taking a trip next month where the funding organization reimburses seat assignments. It's $44 for a preferred seat on a tcon, and ~$25 for a standard. That adds up fast
rankourabu and tcook052 like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.